opeth tone

Well suislide nailed their amp setting. That IS what Opeth use at live gigs on their amps, however one would have to assume that their pedalboard settings are drastically different to get equilibrium in the tone.

Yea, i was going to include that but i assume the majority of people (this guy at least) dont have a gt6 so it wouldnt matter anyway. That setting on a good or decent amp will get that tone they used on the lamentations tour. NOT THE DVD if you are wondering.

Depends on what guitar you have too. For example, you're not going to get the Opeth tone on a Telecaster. :p

They also used Boss' Metalzone (early albums), a more common pedal. Anyone here have it and can get a good Opeth tone with it?

that is not official.. it says nowhere that they actually used a metal zone. Plus I and my cousin have one and i dont see how its possible.

suislidE said:
that is not official.. it says nowhere that they actually used a metal zone. Plus I and my cousin have one and i dont see how its possible.
I have/had an interview where he says he used them .. maybe just jamming .. maybe recording. Maybe it's not possible because 1, your gear is shit 2, your method is shit 3, you are shit 4, you don't have the exact guitar setup 5, the exact studio, producer, mics, ........

Not to be and idiot but I have used some very shitty shitty shittyy gear ( yes I had to say that 3 times) and got the best live sound of my life... same token used peavey 5150, Boss Gt -6, and my custom mockingbird, I aquired an awesome but not anywhere near the sound I got from a shit nova guitar through an even worse crate amp. Gear and venues is a very weird thing.
So this is exactly how you get opeths sound out of any gear no matter what..................................................................

not possible .. unless you own the exact gear that was used and you have all the muscles and tendons in mickes arm attached to mickes hands...all attacthed to your own arms ...
Have you ever heard of originality.. I know everyone wants Mikaels sound but you'll be much happier with your own ... no lie chile.
Im just a kid don't listen to me ...

sorry for bad gggggfrrrraaammmmamamrrrrr I's is ins a hurrys :)

From Opeth site:

Effects: Boss Metalzone, Sustainer, Turbo distortion, Small stone, Cry baby-wah

This is used on MAYH, so there's your proof.

I don't intend to steal Opeth sound, but I'd like to make use of open distorted chords without everything sounding fucked. I guess it also has to do with the pickups... Feel free to clarify. ;P

oh im sorry. maybe i just forgot.. oh well. maybe if i run into a 5150 one day with a gibson and a metalzone ill see what i can do.. but that probably wont happen as i rarely get the chance to go to decent guitar stores.