tech metal guitar tone

Dec 12, 2005
i was curious to what amp settings or pedal setting would be best for a tech metal guitar tone. high mids and treble with minimal bass?

very good question, frantickromatik, maybe the guys from SA and TIF will be kind enough to answer us :) .

I was searching through my guitar magazines and I found an article about obtaining the tone from Dream Theater's Pull me Under using Boss pedals, and it was something like this:

1. for the riffs - Boss MetalZone MT2with Level 2 o'clock, EQ1 1 o'clock, EQ2 11 o'clock and Dist 4 o'clock.

2. for the clean part - Boss Digital Reverb RB5 with Level 2 o'clock, Tone 10 o'clock, Time 10 o'clock, Mode - Plate + Boss Acoustic Simulator AC-3 with Reverb Level 10 o'clock, Body 11 o'clock, Top 2 o'clock, Mode - Jumbo + Boss Super Chorus CH4 with Level - Max, EQ 2 o'clock, Rate 1 o'clock and Depth 1 o'clock.

I know Dream Theater isn't tech metal, but I think it's better than nothing :).

PS I have 2 articles from Guitar Techniques regarding Meshuggah's guitar style, but they don't give any settings for achieving their tone, just some info regarding effects, amps and guitars used for the lessons.

"Tech metal" doesn't demand a specific approach to guitar tone if you ask me.

If you wanted to sound like a specific band or album, then maybe there would be something to talk about....but I can think of a vast array of different guitar sounds on albums that I would put in the tech metal category.

My settings for any metal tone is a lot a treble,some mids and some bass,and depending of the distortion unit,not too much gain.I use Rocktron Prophesy with a Mesa 2:90,and when it's cranked up,most settings have a sort of kick in the mids,which is great for clarity.