Bass tone

outofmind

New Metal Member
Jan 21, 2006
Well this question is mainly directed at Lars Norberg or anyone else who thinks they have a similar or different badass bass tone, but what is it that drives the bulk of your bass tone. Is it the usage of back pickup, high mids, do you use any pedals, effects, what kind of rig and set up you use?
-The reason I ask is because not to long ago I was pretty bored with my tone so I bought a Line 6 bass podxt live to mix it up a bit and ive had it for about 2 weeks and ive been getting familiar with it and so forth. This is the first pedal ive ever bought and so any help would be useful (not how to use it but information on tone set up and whatnot).

I would really appreciate some help from those who have the knowledge and the patience to communicate it with me.

If Lars finds the time, he might finish answering some questions I asked him. You will read the interview when it is ready to be published - I'll post it here where and when you can get a hold of it...Mr. Norberg?:)

Sorry guys, but the last couple of months have been totally insane and I still have another good week left to go with a packed schedule. However - I knew this would be the case from time to time, though, and I warned you all about this scenario in one of my first posts. Anyway, I hope you guys accept my apologies and don’t take it as rudeness from my side when I’m not answering your posts right away – I’m just pressed for time right now. Occam’s Razor: I know that you have been more than patient, but unfortunately there were no way that I could foresee that I was going to be this busy. Only the final touches remains on the interview though, and it’s my first priority to wrap that one up.

The bass tone on ASU - a quick explanation:
The bass tone is a combination of the Steinberger Q4’s unique ‘hard’ sound (for more information, try this link: http://www.steinbergerworld.com/Q-series.htm), the amp used (a SWR 4000 head and an Ampeg 8 x 10 cabinet), my playing-technique (I use some nail to get a more ‘snappy’ attack) and of course Neil Kernon’s magic in the studio. Having said that; the bulk of the tone is definitely produced by the bass and the amp settings – I use almost exclusively the back pickup and high mids, as are your suggestions. I don’t use any effects whatsoever for my main sound.

To Lars: is it the earlier "heavy" Q4? What pickups does it have?

Steinberger basses are amazing, love my q5, it's a beast!

So there are different Q4s then; I should probably know;) Well, I'd guess it's the "heavy" one - at least I bought mine early 92, and I think this model was quite new by then so I find it unlikely that there were another version available - but I may be wrong on this. Also - it has the original EMG pickups. Hope this answers your questions?

To Lars: I appreciate your reply.
I'm just not sure of when the version2 launched, so can't make a conclusion if yours is version 1 (which is heavy indeed!) or not.

It would be easy to tell looking at the body shape (as explained under the link you provided): v1 is more angular

xq-v1.jpg

... And v2 is more rounded

xq2a-hb.jpg