Nailing Miller tone

Progbass

Oct 18, 2002
Finland
Visit site
First of all, I'm not sure what amp/effects miller used or how he recorded the bass, but I'm pretty sure his bass was warwick thumb.

So first step is to get yourself a warwick thumb(corvette is also fine) lol. Other bass brands are ok also, but warwick has that own tone what gets you the closest to his tone. From bass, choose bridge pickup and let bass eq be flat.

Then from your amp/pedal/eq whatever u have, boost some bass, let the middle and treble be pretty flat, or add a little treble.

If you have compressor, use it, not too slow release tho.

So that's it for now, pls suggest more things if something comes to mind :p

I wish I could help you, but my knowledge of tones in general is in the negatives.

You seem to know quite a bit about Miller, so could you answer me this: which songs did he record with a five string?

This might be a stupid thing to ask, but why would you WANT Miller's tone? Listen to that decending line in the beginning of "Eyes of Medusa" or that sweet run in the beginning of "The Damnation Game." Great playing, but the tone isn't very good IMO.

Edit: Good tips, though. You seem to be pretty knowledgeable about bass tone.

You seem to know quite a bit about Miller, so could you answer me this: which songs did he record with a five string?

Hmm, I think he always used 5-string tuned to D, except the low B string.

This might be a stupid thing to ask, but why would you WANT Miller's tone? Listen to that decending line in the beginning of "Eyes of Medusa" or that sweet run in the beginning of "The Damnation Game." Great playing, but the tone isn't very good IMO.

Yea, especially from higher register, his tone isn't that good. But I've seen many say here how his tone rules in DWOT and I think it's great also, so if someone really wants to imitate that tone, I gave some tips, hehe.

I'm all about Lepond's live tone. There's so many mids.

Exactly. That's where the good tone is - in the mids.

The new samples I've heard, his tone is heads above what has been recorded before. I love what I've heard.

He used to be a bit muddy - maybe he was doing one of those smiley-faces on the eq. But what I've heard so far is way better - more mids, more crispness - more punch to the tone. You can actually hear the character of the bass - instead of just mud.

His playing - however - has always been top notch! They guy absolutely shreds . . . very articulate in his playing as well.

:headbang: :headbang:

Lepond's tone on the new album (from the samples) is reminiscent of his tone on the live album. As Wes said, pronounced mids really bring the bass to the forefront, even in areas where it is simply doubling the rhythm guitar.

Well, in the samples, it sounds like the bass is a bit too quiet atleast under that guitar wall, heh. But yea, it sounds better than V or Odyssey.