Piece of Mind bass tone....

spideyjg

Bass Gear Geek
Nov 14, 2005
Trying to help W dial up a Piece of Mind bass tone. I have the same pickup, strings, and preamp that she uses. So while in Asia I was gonna do some dialing. Yea I know different rooms, speakers and body woods will have an effect but ballpark is good enough.
Taking into account the recording technology evolution, I really don't think Steve has changed his sound much at all.

So my fellow low enders, what is your take for Steve's tone on POM as far as EQ settings go?
At low volumes it seems, using the GK400RB and the Epi, that a slight treble cut, mid boost, and bass boost nails it. This weekend I'm gonna crank it loud and verify the low volume settings carry over with volume.

Imagine a clockface, 12:00 is flat on the GK EQ, I set.....
Treble at 11:45
High mid at 1:15
Low mid at 1:30
Bass at 1:30
All the contour stuff out of the picture.

So basically flat but a slight treble cut, boost of all else seems to nail it. What say you other bass geeks?
I am also gonna try to dial it on the Sansamp but wasn't feelling too succesfull last night at it.
Then I have to dial it in on the Bmax since that is what she is running now.

Jim

rig012.jpg

Rack002.jpg

It's hard to picture what he would use for EQ settings, he's always used the 12" Marshall speakers correct? I always thought he had a mid rangey sound, maybe on POM a little more bottomy. We played Revelations, The Trooper and Flight of Icarus a long time ago, I used my standard EQ settings and everyone thought it sounded good.
At the time it was an Ampeg SVT, bass and treble cranked and the mids all the way down (with the limiter on) Still use the same settings today with a Hartke :)

This is off topic but my guitar player was screwing around with my Zoom 8 track, he used the Mad Bass effect and it sounded exactly like Billy Sheehans Pierce pre-amp sound. My jaw dropped because he was playing an Ibanez RG model guitar.

Schmidt_Rubin said:
It's hard to picture what he would use for EQ settings, he's always used the 12" Marshall speakers correct? I always thought he had a mid rangey sound, maybe on POM a little more bottomy.

According to the Live After Death insert he was running some full range JBL 12 inch speakers. AFAIK he still runs 12's today.

What bass and strings were you running back then? With my Fender P special and rounds way back when to get an IM sound I'd roll the treble back to half or more.
Last night I had the SB-1 wide open with the SH flats and the GK listed settings was nailing the sound.

Jim

At the time I was using a Jackson concert bass with standard rotosounds. Sometimes I would cut back on the lows and highs, maybe to 8 or 9. Those rotos were kind of bright so I used plenty of bottom.

Edited, I remember reading an article with Harris saying he used special purpose Marshall 12" speakers, I don't know which album was the most recent at the time.