Thrash metal tone (guitar-related)

Never the same

That dude.
Oct 26, 2008
Holland
Hello again.

I am still looking for that awesome thrash metal tone on my amp / recording programm. It's in the vein of the intro of this song: [ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ_RF8zlcFs&feature=related[/ame]

Heavy as fuck, and still much treble. I just can't achieve this sound, does anyone know any settings (Gain, treble, bass, middle) or any effects (chorus, flanger or whatever) you need to get such a tone?

I also have the option of playing through two "amps" at the same time in my recording programm, maybe that helps?

Crunchy tone ther eboy.

To be honest, what you listen to on record isn't actually thhe authentic tone from the guitar amp - its almost always tweaked during mixing/mastering sessions. Lots of bass and treble, a little middle and a SMALL amount of reverb might do oyu good.

... Maybe not. GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEG! GET OVER HERE!!

i'd recomend multi tracking. record once with a scooped setting and again with a 5-7-9 (B-M-T) and see how that sounds.

Crunchy tone ther eboy.

To be honest, what you listen to on record isn't actually thhe authentic tone from the guitar amp - its almost always tweaked during mixing/mastering sessions. Lots of bass and treble, a little middle and a SMALL amount of reverb might do oyu good.

... Maybe not. GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEG! GET OVER HERE!!

That and there could be different amps layered on top of each other.

I got the main tone down. Now I gotta see if I can get that reverb / chorus kinda thingie added to it.

Recorded two guitars, one with the settings (amp settings) to the lower frequencies (boost low, less mid, barely high) and on the EQ the same, one wit the settings for higher frequencies (same story but reverse)

for those of you that have good experience recording and have had good results. how right is this guy?

[ame]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3176975091479283638[/ame]

I´ll watch the video, not now coz I dont hace much time and its really long.

Are demo is practically done, we´re just missing the vocals. For the guitars, we did the following:

We didnt use to much bass frequencies, coz its better to keep the guitars pretty high with treble frquencies. The bass guitar and the bass drum should be the things that give the song the groove.
Also, becuase we are two guitarrists we did go high on the Gain. If you have two guitars that have high ditorsions you end up with an over saturated song. Its better to record them with mid gain, so when both are recorded it gives the required heavyness.
what we also did is record a separate channel with the guitars clean, you can add some of that in the mix and it can really improve the precision of the guitars.

Hope some of this helped.