Book of Heavy Metal Tone?

Another thing I've been thinking of....we've got two guitarists. What do I do for double-tracking there? I mean, right now we're panning one guitar take 100% left and one 100% right, for a total of 2 tracks.

In the end, I'll have 4 tracks because of the two guitarists. Do I have both guitarists panned 100% left and 100% right? Less than that? What do I do if I want to have one guitarist mostly in one ear, and the other in the other? Wouldn't that kill the awesome tone caused by the 100% pan?

The guitarist that can play the song tightest should play all parts of the song.. if both are _REALLY_ tight, they can record their parts on their own.
I would do the following:

Guitarist1 -75 - 75
Guitarist2 -100 - 100

You can pan them basically how ever you want though, mess around with it until you think it sounds good.

But please, upload a clip of this recording with out any double-tracking, just one take.

Still sounds phasy.. how close to the speaker do you have the microphone?

To find the source of your problem maybe you should record the signal from the amp and miced. Put the DI into some nice impulse and compare.

Still sounds phasy.. how close to the speaker do you have the microphone?

Wait...I'm confused...I know that phasing can occur when two microphones record the same signal and the sound hits the two different microphones at different times, which causes wave cancellation...but how can this happen when the SAME mic at the SAME placement records the SAME part twice?

The mic is right up against the grill cloth, and I didn't move it at all between the two takes.

I also know that phasing can happen due to the room, but I made the recording space irregular, surrounded it with eggshell foam, and got the speaker and mic as close to the wall as I could.

I'm confused.....what else could be causing the phasing, if you think it still sounds phased?

One thing that could cause phasing is if the other speakers bleed in to much onto the microphone, but thats doesnt seem to be the case here.
Another thing that might cause phasing is having like a delay hooked up in your effects loop.. some bleed through even when they are turned of.
I really dont know what else you could do.. i have recorded allot of stuff even on bedroom levels in my untreated seriously fucking small bedroom without having that phasy sound. ;X

Il say the same as Damphire, get your preamp hooked up to your soundcard and record something so we know its not the amp..

Ok, I've been reading through some threads on phasing, and I'm convinced now that there's no possible way that the track could be out of phase.

Yeah thats not phasing, thats the difference in tuning/tightness. Bending notes slightly off each time will sound like that.

You can't get phase issues from different takes, its caused by the same sound arriving at different mics at different times for THE SAME take.

I'm thinking it just might be my shitty playing that makes it seem "out of phase" for some? Otherwise, I dunno :ill:

Take off Ozone widening or whatever you were using. Not sure if you posted a clip with no Ozone but that widening can cause phase issues!

Its NOT the tuning causing the phasy sound.
Something is fucking up allong your chain.. the question is what.

To me it sounds kinda like when you put the microphone far away from the speaker in a untreated room.. im almost starting to think that you either forgot something in your chain, or that something is broken.

The 57 clip is definitely not too dull.
I think that the "phasey" sound could be coming from mic placement. Are you able to post a pic of where you have the mic in relation to the speaker/ whole cab?

For what it's worth, it sounds like you're getting a really good tone in the room, just being captured....oddly.

The 57 clip is definitely not too dull.
I think that the "phasey" sound could be coming from mic placement. Are you able to post a pic of where you have the mic in relation to the speaker/ whole cab?

For what it's worth, it sounds like you're getting a really good tone in the room, just being captured....oddly.

I'll try to get a pic as soon as I'm home, but it's RIGHT up against the grill cloth. There's literally no space between the mic and the cloth.

Phasing = :cry:o_O

Ok...just got home from thanksgiving....time to give this another shot.

Per Nebulous' request, I'm including screenshots.

Here's the mic placement - should be pretty much right on the dust cap:
bohm_amp_mic.jpg

Another view:
bohm_amp_mic2.jpg

Next, I placed a keyboard anvil case in front of the amp, so that any chance room phase or bounceback is lessened:

bohm_amp_foamin.jpg

another view:
bohm_amp_foamin2.jpg

Then, I filled around the area with eggshell foam (again, to lessen room phase and bounceback):

bohm_amp_foamtop.jpg

another view
bohm_amp_foamside.jpg

For the guitar (not sure if that matters much, but I'll include it anyway), I'm using a Gibson Les Paul Voodoo:

bohm_guitar.jpg

(Thumbs up guys!)

I ABSOLUTELY made sure that I was plugged straight into the amp, with no effects chain, and gave it another go.

Here's it double-tracked with no EQ:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3106634/BoHM609_2_NoEQ_M.mp3

And I decided to add just a smidge of EQ to brighten it up a bit. Here's the settings that I used:

BohmEQ.png

And the MP3 (with EQ): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3106634/BoHM609_2_EQ_M.mp3

I tried inverting the phase for shits and giggles, and IMMEDIATELY lost all bass, so that's out :)

This sounds a little better to me than the last take. Please, PLEASE tell me I'm on the right track o_Oo_Oo_O

I think I'm going to try impulses as well, and maybe post those too.

Thanks guys! :worship:

Well.. i would move away that keyboard case.. im pretty sure thats the reason why you are having these problems.
Bouncebacks shouldnt be much of a problem when you turn that amp up anyways... ive never had any problems with it at bedroom level.

The only thing i ever do to block any reflection issues is like laying down a blanket or a sleepingbag on the floor in front of the cab.
But try impulses, if the problem still persists.. well, then you are on your own! :lol:

Lose all the foam, the case, and the e609. Put the 57 about 1/2 inch away from the centre of the speaker, and about 1/2 inch off the grill and try again. I have a shitty room and I never have phase/reflection problems, so I don't think you will either. Just simplify things because you obviously still have a problem.

Well.. i would move away that keyboard case.. im pretty sure thats the reason why you are having these problems.
Bouncebacks shouldnt be much of a problem when you turn that amp up anyways... ive never had any problems with it at bedroom level.

The weird thing is...The first clip I posted was with nothing in front of the cab (i.e. open air, like you suggest), and the next time I recorded I put the case in front since people said it sounded phasey and it may have been because of "room phase"....and after I did that the chug of the power chords came through a LOT better.

I assumed that was helping rather than hurting? I've seen a lot of pictures of studios where the cabs are up against a wall of foam...?

I did try an impulse just now: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3106634/BoHM_Impulse_JJC45-1_M.mp3

I used the JJ Powertubes Center45-1 from the Guitar Hacks collection.