Book of Heavy Metal Tone?

Lose all the foam, the case, and the e609. Put the 57 about 1/2 inch away from the centre of the speaker, and about 1/2 inch off the grill and try again. I have a shitty room and I never have phase/reflection problems, so I don't think you will either. Just simplify things because you obviously still have a problem.

Ok, back to the open air...

As you said, 1/2 inch off, 1/2 inch away...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3106634/BoHM_57HalfInch_M.mp3

Ok, I made a compilation clip for easier comparison.
The tracks are:

• 2nd Attempt (57 and 609 dual recording with oZone)
  • 609 Doubled (First attempt)
  • 57 Doubled (First attempt)
  • 609 Doubled (2nd attempt)
  • Impulse Doubled (JJ Center45-1)
  • 57 Half-Inch Doubled

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3106634/BoHM_SoFar.mp3

Getting closer? Honestly, I still say the 609 2nd attempt is my fav....the 57 sound is just a little too dark for me....would want to do a bunch of EQing or mic movement..

But I dunno. O FORUM, GIVE ME THY THOUGHTS! :worship:notworthy

Ok, I made a compilation clip for easier comparison.
The tracks are:

• 2nd Attempt (57 and 609 dual recording with oZone)
  • 609 Doubled (First attempt)
  • 57 Doubled (First attempt)
  • 609 Doubled (2nd attempt)
  • Impulse Doubled (JJ Center45-1)
  • 57 Half-Inch Doubled

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3106634/BoHM_SoFar.mp3

Getting closer? Honestly, I still say the 609 2nd attempt is my fav....the 57 sound is just a little too dark for me....would want to do a bunch of EQing or mic movement..

But I dunno. O FORUM, GIVE ME THY THOUGHTS! :worship:notworthy

Hi mshabooboo, gonna throw in my 2 scents.
In my opinion if you got a mix of the 57 Half-Inch Doubled (#6) and the 57 doubled (first attempt) (#3) you'd have that dream evil type sound your goin for. I think the last take (57 half-inch double) has the best sound but it lacks high-end and tightness, so maybe if you do exactly what you did on that one except move the mic closer to the cab.
Although I don't really know anything about mic placement, it just sounds like it just needs to be a bit brighter and tighter. whatever way you want to go about getting that : )

Congratz!
Now there is no more phasing going on! :)
Long reflections = slightly muddy sound/loose attack
Short reflections = Thin mids & highs, phase cancellation etc.

Recommendations: Cut just a little of the bass out of the amp, put something soft(sound-absorbing) on the floor in front of the speaker, re-position the microphone so that you get those crisp highs and tight as f*ck lower mids and it will be epicz!

Congratz!

Recommendations: Cut just a little of the bass out of the amp, put something soft(sound-absorbing) on the floor in front of the speaker, re-position the microphone so that you get those crisp highs and tight as f*ck lower mids and it will be epicz!

^^^^ Thats what I meant...........

Congratz!

Just wanted to say thanks for all the help, and your patience with me :)

:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

The last one with the 57 sounded the best to me. Now it seems like you need to play more with the settings of the amp to make it sound closer to the original and also quadtrack :cool:

I was messing around with trying to get the tone on Evilised on the weekend (didn't keep the results) and I have to agree that once the capturing is at the right level, quadtracking is something I would also recommend, as well as adding a bass guitar into the mix to see how it sits. The bass definately adds alot to the Dream Evil wall of sound.