Book of Heavy Metal Tone?

Hey guys -

I've been reading the forums for a couple weeks now, and they've been VERY helpful with recording techniques! Thank you guys so much for sharing your techniques and helping people get closer to the tone they want.

A little background before I get into the clip - I've been recording for about 3 years now. I wasn't formally taught how to record, or anything about mic placement, plug-ins, Equalizing, etc...I just experimented a lot, and used what worked. Currently, my band is writing and recording our second album, and I'm trying to make the tone of this album MUCH better than the first. The band's style is 80's heavy metal (Maiden, Priest, etc.) with "modern metal" influences (i.e. downtuned guitars, etc.).

The tone on the last album was ALL over the place, mostly because we would record a track, mix it, tear down, write the next song, record it, mix it, tear down, etc... small differences in mic placement, volume, and EQ lead to BIG differences in tone :oops:

You can hear some of the tracks on our myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/LordsOfTheTrident

Anyway, the tone that I think I'd like to get closest to is the tone on Dream Evil's "Book of Heavy Metal" album. My guitarist likes the tone on "Dragonslayer" a little better, but I'm mixed.

Here is a clip of the title song from "Book of Heavy Metal":

And here's me (sloppily) playing the same riff, with some extra crap at the end. (Before anyone says anything - I'm the singer, NOT the guitarist.)

https://mywebspace.wisc.edu/tnchristian/web/BoHMToneTest_M.mp3

Notes about what I did/used:

Guitar-related gear:

• Played on a Gibson Les Paul Voodoo
  • Played through a Splawn head
  • Played through a Mesa 2x12

Recording-related gear:

• Used the micing technique laid out in the "clayman" thread - the "arrow (one mic dead on at the dustcap, one 45 degrees in an "arrow" shape)
  • Dead on mic is an e609, 45 degree mic is a SM57
  • Recorded through a MOTU 8pre
  • Sonar 6 is my DAW
  • Used drumkit from hell for some backing drums (at this point, I'm more interested in the guitar tone than the drums, so I know the kick is a little loud)
  • Used isotope oZone3 for the EQ. Brought the 609 up a little in the 2k range, dropped it off in the 400 range
  • Also used the "stereo virtualization" on the oZone(forgot if that's the actual name of it) to expand the sound a little bit.
  • If I remember right, the 609 is 4db louder than the 57. From what I heard, the 609 had a majority of the high end treble tone ("the sparkle" on the guitar) while the 57 gave me a bit more low mids and bass area response
  • Exported the clip and used a compressor on t-Racks to up the volume to listening level. I think I had the compression at 4.3 or so on t-racks

Any help you guys could give would be extremely appreciated. And please let me know if I'm doing something horribly wrong...like I said, I'm still pretty new at this, and most of what I've learned has been through experimentation.

THANKS VERY VERY MUCH!

-Ty

Last edited by a moderator:
sounds good man maybe a little phasing in there it might be my monitors but very close to the original tone (my audix monitors are not the best)..sounds double tracked maybe if you quad you might get a fatter tone

It's hard to tell because the main part of this type of sound is hard articulate strumming, it has to be very tightly played :p

But the sound of the amp is right, you should quadtrack though (at least).

Yeah, that tone seems pretty close with the exception for the phasing.

I've zoomed in as far as I can go, and I see no phasing...the two waveforms are lock step in time with each other.

I tried inverting the phase and it sounded horrible...

What else can I check to see if it's out of phase?

You can get phasing reflections bouncing from nearby walls when miking amps.

I see. I've got a bunch of "egg carton" foam...should I surround the amp with that? What do you suggest to fix that problem?

Lower the volume on the amp is a good start, unless it's already low, tube amps don't sound good if they are not cranked a bit.

Experiment with the position of the amp as a start, then try and put stuff in the way of direct reflections (madrasses or something). Put the amp near a wall with the nearest reflection behind the mic and see if it gets better but don't take my word for it, try and see what is best, all rooms are different.

Sounds like you're using two mics, playing it once through and panning the two mics L and R. Is that correct? I would say that is where your phase issues could be coming from.

I would ditch one mic, find a nice spot on the speaker for the one that you keep and play the part at least twice, panning each take L and R. If you would definately like to use the V micing method, I would work on it abit more.
The base tone I think could use a touch more mids and a touch less highs, as well as a high pass filter cutting the flub that the bass guitar should be holding anyway.

The key to the Dream Evil tones is in the guitars grinding in the mids and being very articulate, while the bass fills in alot of the low end.

Sounds like you're using two mics, playing it once through and panning the two mics L and R. Is that correct? I would say that is where your phase issues could be coming from.

Actually, no...I'm using izotope oZone's multiband stereo imaging to "pull" the tracks outward a little. Here's a screenshot with what I'm doing:

sonarBoHM.png

Has anyone used this tool before? Is the 2nd take more in phase than the first?

Ok, got a few more for you guys to listen to...

(again, apologies in advance for the playing)

Here's the e609 double-tracked:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3106634/BoHMToneTest609Double1_M.mp3

And the 57 double-tracked:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3106634/BoHMToneTest57Double_M.mp3

(this one seems a little too dark....I'm wondering if I didn't hit dead center in the cone...)

Finally, the two mixed (quad-track):
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3106634/BoHMToneTest57&609Quad_M.mp3

I think I like the double track e609 the best out of all of them. What are your thoughts?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also, this may be a stupid question, but for double-tracking....does the guitarist usually play the same part twice, or do you simply copy one take and pan one side left, one side right?

I play pretty sloppy, so there are inconsistencies, but I wonder if that might not happen to some extent to all but the best guitarists....?