Opeth's Guitars

NFU

I like pie.
Jan 9, 2002
Southern California
www.myspace.com
Hey, i noticed opeth is using PRS (Paul Reed Smith) guitars now...and i was curious if anyone knew the model peter and mikael are using? i know mikaels is the whale blue finish with bird inlays, and peters is a black sunburst...but im curious to know what exact models they are. thanks...help someone!

Originally posted by ham
um.. mike uses a PRS Custom 24 and a CE24, but i didn't know pete used PRS guitars, i thought he used a Gibson Les Paul Custom.

yeah... I didn't know that either, I've only seen him with a black gibson LP and a white jackson flying V model(don't know the real name of that guitar)

Most guitarists use lots of different guitars on stage. They will often switch between various guitars within the same set. If you want to find out what they use in the studio, check out the official site and go to discography then click gear.

Originally posted by Punisher
how much does a good prs cost?

Upwards of $2,000 US new.
You can get some of the 22-fret models used for around $800, though.

Oh, and I've seen a couple go on E-Bay for around $1,350 US.

Shit, PRS are fuckin' expensive (yah, Gibson aren't, uh?). But anyway, my personal dream at the time is a Gibson Gothic Les Paul. Everyone I know says that it has an awesome sound - and what's for sure is that it's the most beautiful guitar I've ever seen...

But what's also for sure is that I don't have the 2K Euros it costs! :(

Originally posted by Feanor IV
Shit, PRS are fuckin' expensive (yah, Gibson aren't, uh?). But anyway, my personal dream at the time is a Gibson Gothic Les Paul. Everyone I know says that it has an awesome sound - and what's for sure is that it's the most beautiful guitar I've ever seen...

But what's also for sure is that I don't have the 2K Euros it costs! :(

Think about this, though...The Gibson Les Paul Gothics are just Studios with fancier finish and fewer inlays.

You're really just paying 150 and up for finish.

It depends on what you like.

I have a Jackson Randy Rhoads for heavier stuff. Has a gorgeous crunch. The clean sounds good, too, sort of jazzy.

I also have an Epiphone Les Paul Custom. It's clean sounds blew my mind, and the distortion isn't bad, either.

And then there's my Samick stratocaster, and it's just your average strat, balanced in the middle.

Again, it really depends on what you want to play.

Originally posted by AddeJ-Skinfected
Have dreamed of owning a PRS since I started to play guitar 15 years ago. A shame they are so expensive in Sweden... :(

Me too, once I tried one at a guitar store in Helsinki, I fell in love with it! The tone is incredible...ideal for anything. :)

Les Pauls along with strats are probably the most over rated guitars ever in my mind. Paul Reid Smith's are very nice guitars, and are pretty much worth their HEAVY price tag cause they display superb craftsmanship and attention to detail. Jackson make some really nice stuff, but also some ass I feel.
Personally I wouldn't trade my Ibanez Joe Satriani model for anything at the moment. I just love how it feels, plays and looks. And it sounds awesome now I have the Dimarzio evoloution in it. I reckon from all the pick ups I've played and tested so far, that would have to be the most versatile of any so far. I love it

Originally posted by Thorns of Sorrow
hes right, the gothic sounds like ass, its just for show...and all it is, is a studio model that is not as good as the other studio models, with a fancy finish and one inlay.

:eek: omg someone who agrees with me... indeed, the gothic are crappy. personally i don't like gibson at all but that's just me. :D

i emailed mike about a while ago....he said he used a CE24 with seymour duncan pickups

i saw in some recent live photo's that peter was playing a prs which looks the same as mike's. Usually he uses a gibson les paul or a jackson flying v