Opeth Vrs. Dying Fetus

Jul 21, 2003
Visit site
Fighting with my friend...He is trying to claim that dying fetus is much more talented at their insturments and put much more time into their music. I downlaoded a few dying fetus songs and after viewing some lyrics/song titles I wanna know what crack he is smoking... Anyways, for the sake of proving a friend wrong let me hear all of your opinions, on creativity between the two bands as well as technical talent. Thanks a lot

they're a pretty technically proficient band...and probably play faster and harder than opeth 99 percent of the time. But that doesn't make them as good ...considering them better is laughable at best.

apples and oranges.

Faster Ill agree with...I cant stand the singing though and sometimes the drumming reminds me of slipknot, the lyrics are the worst through they sound like a mad
(dsiturbed) 12 year old wrote them

Opeth is a better band overall. Dying Fetus albums with Jason Netherton (now vocalist in misery index) like 5 out 6 cds are great (new one is ok). Dying Fetus is a more technical band, inhuman drumming, great use of arpeggios, killer guitar tone, great riffs...not to mention amazing songwriting among the whole grind/death genre. Their older lyrics are gore-influenced while the last few albums are very political (especially with netherton). But Opeth writes better songs, they have more emotion, they are more diverse, they are more tasteful, great acoustics, melody and aggression. Opeth has 7 albums worth owning while Fetus has like 5 (not including stop at nothing).

Two completely different bands, not really suitable for a "vs" comparison.

Dying Fetus is much more technical in nature, in overal riff and leads, but Opeth songs are composed better I think. I like Dying Fetus more, but I cannot deny Opeth is fantastic with their own merits.

As for which band has more better albums, trying to make that definition is based soley on personal taste and can't be justifiably discerned.

Example: Personally I could do without Damnation altogether, but other people love it. Is it a great ablum? I've listened to it several times, I just can't get into it, so my answer is no.

Your friend's not one of those people who thinks technical proficiency is everything, is he? Anyway, Opeth doesn't come near DF's brutality and speed and groove most of the time, so if that's what you want, they're better. But it's silly to try to rate them objectively.

there are tons of bands out there who can play at break-neck speeds, with machine-like drumming, psychotic leads, etc... (cryptopsy, decapitated, nile...and many more), but who can compare to opeth? all of those death metal bands that i listed are great, but opeth just has something about them.

In my eyes, Opeth's talent doesn't lie in their playing skill, as I can think of a few guitarists better than Mike and Peter, and a few drummers better than Martin (though I will admit, Bass Martin is one of the best damn bassists in metal I have ever seen), but rather Opeth's true skill lies in Michael's song writing and lyric writing abilities.. when it comes to pieceing together incredible and usually epic works, Opeth is, bar none, unmatched.

some of mikael's solos are really fucking hard. it is much easier to shred through a slayer-type solo where you pick the same speed and fly through chromatic scales than it is to try playing his solos on the lepper afinity, or white cluster. he has flavor in those leads...they are tough to play right.

not a bad thread..but it is definitely a little too "apples and oranges"...dying fetus is a great technical band, and when it comes to that type of death metal they are at the top of their genre...while opeth is more progressive death metal and u really cant compare their song writing skills...technicality goes to fetus, but songwriting and overall musically it goes to opeth...

a better battle would be like Opeth vs. Agalloch or Dying Fetus vs. Cryptopsy

It's true...different styles, to each his own. But think on this...Opeth can do D.F. stuff "if" they chose to. Put an acoustic guitar in DF's hands, and ask DF to play in Opeth's multifacited style...hmmmmmm........

yeah, apples and oranges...
technically, dying fetus are better
atmospherically(sic) opeth are better

so yeah, you can't really compare them
i mean you can
but it'd be dumb...

Strange that I heard a Dying Fetus song ("Abandon All Hope") on the radio on the way to the Opeth concert tonight and right when I got in my car after the show. So, seeins how the show just let out, I'm a little biased towards Opeth. But I love DF's solos!

How in the hell can you compare Dying Fetus' drumming sounding like Slipknot? Kevin Talley was a killer drummer and the new guy is not too bad himself. I own the last three albums and I have a song from Purification Through Violence. Skull Fucked is the song. I have only listened to it a couple of times and I liked it, but have not gotten anything else.