Opeth Vrs. Dying Fetus

ramses said:
It's true...different styles, to each his own. But think on this...Opeth can do D.F. stuff "if" they chose to. Put an acoustic guitar in DF's hands, and ask DF to play in Opeth's multifacited style...hmmmmmm........
If they choose to? I've never heard Peter or Mikael do any black-ish or death-ish riffing, nor seen Martin blast his kit like a nutter, so it's hard to tell whether they'd be able to, but DF have a lot of fucking intricate and insane leads. I've no doubt their guitarists would be able to play an acoustic guitar with equal skill.

Bleak Eyes said:
How in the hell can you compare Dying Fetus' drumming sounding like Slipknot? Kevin Talley was a killer drummer and the new guy is not too bad himself. I own the last three albums and I have a song from Purification Through Violence. Skull Fucked is the song. I have only listened to it a couple of times and I liked it, but have not gotten anything else.

Kevin used to be one of my favorite drummers but he's really lost it now. He's plays total cock rock now in a band called grayson manner that sound almost identical to the hives. My friend Eyal from Daath (a pretty unique Death metal band) recorded their debut album with him and had to throw the tracks away and get a new drummer because he hardly even makes use of the double bass anymore and pretty much blew it on every recording. Just thought you might find that interesting.

By the way, I just bought the new misery index album on the net for 10 bucks. I was looking to see if the arsis debut had hit stores yet and saw it there. Anyone heard it yet? I don't know when it will arrive.

For those of you who don't know Arsis they're an insanely good black metal act that haven't really broken through yet. Check them out at http://www.worshipdepraved.com/ and listen to the demo tracks. They do a decent job of introducing a newcomer to the band.

Chow Mai Dong said:
If they choose to? I've never heard Peter or Mikael do any black-ish or death-ish riffing, nor seen Martin blast his kit like a nutter, so it's hard to tell whether they'd be able to, but DF have a lot of fucking intricate and insane leads. I've no doubt their guitarists would be able to play an acoustic guitar with equal skill.
Last time I checked, Opeth is a Death Metal band. They have some soft/folky accoustic parts. Do you even have all the Opeth albums? You mustn't if you think Opeth isn't a death metal band. Martin was in other bands before he joined Opeth, you know. And, Mikael has various other musical contributions he has done in other bands. Edge of Sanity-Crimson..he's using black metal vocals on the parts he sings on that album. Bloodbath-ANOTHER DEATH METAL BAND-Mikael lead vocals on that album. DF is pretty good no doubt, but go check out Carcass-Heartwork and Necrotism- albums for great solos.Does Trey Azagthoh ring a bell? Immolation? Panzerchrist-Fort Europa album? Blast beat drumming on an Opeth album wouldn't fit, doesn't mean he hasn't blasted before on other stuff. I'm sure Df could strum an acoustic fast...I'm talking about stuff off the Orchid/Morningrise album. Look, John Petrucci of Dream Theater can play any style he wants, he's better than anyone on guitar. Dream Theater on every Instrument can outplay Opeth. I'm the biggest DT fan out there..been listening since they were called Majesty. But if I had to choose between Opeth and DT, it would be Opeth hands down. They cover every facet a Prog/Death metal fan could ever want in a band.

UsefulIdiot127 said:
Fighting with my friend...He is trying to claim that dying fetus is much more talented at their insturments and put much more time into their music. I downlaoded a few dying fetus songs and after viewing some lyrics/song titles I wanna know what crack he is smoking... Anyways, for the sake of proving a friend wrong let me hear all of your opinions, on creativity between the two bands as well as technical talent. Thanks a lot
Fight your own battles

If it were all just about who plays best, we would all be listening mainly to jazz and fusion (Shawn Lane, Frank Gambale, John McLaughlin, Al Dimeola, Alan Holdsworth, etc.).

thecrimsonchin said:
Kevin used to be one of my favorite drummers but he's really lost it now. He's plays total cock rock now in a band called grayson manner that sound almost identical to the hives.
Was he the drummer on Grotesque Impalement? Maybe he got into playing that last track on there a little too much. :p

ramses said:
Last time I checked, Opeth is a Death Metal band. They have some soft/folky accoustic parts. Do you even have all the Opeth albums? You mustn't if you think Opeth isn't a death metal band. Martin was in other bands before he joined Opeth, you know. And, Mikael has various other musical contributions he has done in other bands. Edge of Sanity-Crimson..he's using black metal vocals on the parts he sings on that album. Bloodbath-ANOTHER DEATH METAL BAND-Mikael lead vocals on that album. DF is pretty good no doubt, but go check out Carcass-Heartwork and Necrotism- albums for great solos.Does Trey Azagthoh ring a bell? Immolation? Panzerchrist-Fort Europa album? Blast beat drumming on an Opeth album wouldn't fit, doesn't mean he hasn't blasted before on other stuff. I'm sure Df could strum an acoustic fast...I'm talking about stuff off the Orchid/Morningrise album. Look, John Petrucci of Dream Theater can play any style he wants, he's better than anyone on guitar. Dream Theater on every Instrument can outplay Opeth. I'm the biggest DT fan out there..been listening since they were called Majesty. But if I had to choose between Opeth and DT, it would be Opeth hands down. They cover every facet a Prog/Death metal fan could ever want in a band.
Well, thanks for telling me a whole pile of stuff I'm already aware of.

I consider Opeth to be a progressive death metal band and when I said I haven't heard Mikael or Peter do any death riffing I was talking in regards to the more brutal forms of death metal. Yes, I know Mikael has contributed vocals in numerous styles to other bands but this isn't relevant to my point about guitar playing. Yes, I know the Martins were playing extreme metal before they joined Opeth, but as I said, I haven't seen/heard that material. You don't need to tell me that blast beats wouldn't be suited on an Opeth album, that's bloody obvious.

And I do indeed own all of Opeth's releases, but I don't see what relevance this has to the discussion. Furthermore I don't know what you mean by "I'm sure Df could strum an acoustic fast...I'm talking about stuff off the Orchid/Morningrise album. " And I don't know why Dream Theater is relevant, and I never said that I'd prefer to listen to Dying Fetus over Opeth, because the majority of the time I'd prefer Opeth.

Congratulations, you made little to no sense in your post.

ramses said:
It's true...different styles, to each his own. But think on this...Opeth can do D.F. stuff "if" they chose to. Put an acoustic guitar in DF's hands, and ask DF to play in Opeth's multifacited style...hmmmmmm........
Um... wow. You sure are saying a lot for not knowing shit. How do you know Opeth can play any DF song, or likewise the opposite? A bit presumptous aren't we?

Sounds more like fanboy fanatacism than objective speculation. :p

xenophobe said:
Um... wow. You sure are saying a lot for not knowing shit. How do you know Opeth can play any DF song, or likewise the opposite? A bit presumptous aren't we?

Sounds more like fanboy fanatacism than objective speculation. :p
Fanboy?...Let me guess ..You two guys are probably teens or in their early twenties.I've Been listening to death metal I'm sure a lot longer than the 2 of you put together. The Dream T reference..they are musically the most talented band out there, but I prefer Opeth slightly. Death metal riffing can abundantly be found on Deliverance, MAYH too. The first 2 Opeth albums acoustically don't just play chords. Df do play fast...heard a lot faster from others in that genre. But that doesn't mean they're any better. Paco De Lucia, and Micheal Angelo play faster than just about anyone, but I guess since they're not in a death metal band, they're no good. Trey Azagthoth has been doing some of the fastest riffs since 86, but I don't think that all his stuff is as good as some of the Fetus stuff I've heard.I appreciate this discussion, but come on, think. Both bands do what they like, but just because DF play fast, doesn't mean that Opeth can't. And yeah maybe DF can play some of Opeth's material, but obviously they like what they're doing. As for fanatacism, when I go to all the concerts that I have gone to the last 16 years, I can't recall saying, or doing any of the cliched things that fanatics do....I actually sit back and watch the bands. If I do talk to the band members, I don't bother with the "you guys rule" shit. I usually just thank them for playing at that particular venue...that's about it. Being from Tampa,I think I know a little about death metal, since I hang around a few of the band members, seeing as I went to school with a few.

You said:

ramses said:
Opeth can do D.F. stuff "if" they chose to. Put an acoustic guitar in DF's hands, and ask DF to play in Opeth's multifacited style...hmmmmmm........

That either strikes as blatant stupidity or fanboyism. Must I state the obvious and explain why? :rolleyes:

Lemme see, I started going to concerts in 1983... starting with the US Festival. I've been into the Thrash scene since 1984, I remember when Metallica was actually a GOOD band.... I bought Ride the Lightning and Live Undead the day they came out, and the only heavier shit back then was Venom and Merciful Fate... So STFU.

xenophobe said:
You said:

[/i]

That either strikes as blatant stupidity or fanboyism. Must I state the obvious and explain why? :rolleyes:

Lemme see, I started going to concerts in 1983... starting with the US Festival. I've been into the Thrash scene since 1984, I remember when Metallica was actually a GOOD band.... I bought Ride the Lightning and Live Undead the day they came out, and the only heavier shit back then was Venom and Merciful Fate... So STFU.
Fanboyism..is that a real word? You're taking my comment too literally as an insult, I guess, towards DF. It's a theoretical "I wonder if" comment. You know Opeth can play what they play, and vice-versa. Hey my friends and I rip each others music all the time. But The thread asked what we thought, so I put my Opinion in just like you did. No big deal to me. I'm sure your friends don't like exactly all the same bands that you do. I like death metal, one of my friends likes Kiss, we insult each other all the time about that. But just as we are disagreeing, we obviously probably like most of the same bands, just as with my friends, otherwise we wouldn't be on this site. And besides, you're the one assuming I'm something I'm not. I didn't call anyone "fanboy" you did. You are pissed over an opinion, and assumed that I'm one of those teens that is obsessed with bands. You disagree, fine...that's what people do.

Risquit said:
If it were all just about who plays best, we would all be listening mainly to jazz and fusion (Shawn Lane, Frank Gambale, John McLaughlin, Al Dimeola, Alan Holdsworth, etc.).
Good guitarists, man. What's the best Lane album? I only have Powers of Ten.

ramses said:
Fanboyism..is that a real word? You're taking my comment too literally as an insult, I guess, towards DF. It's a theoretical "I wonder if" comment. You know Opeth can play what they play, and vice-versa. Hey my friends and I rip each others music all the time. But The thread asked what we thought, so I put my Opinion in just like you did. No big deal to me. I'm sure your friends don't like exactly all the same bands that you do. I like death metal, one of my friends likes Kiss, we insult each other all the time about that. But just as we are disagreeing, we obviously probably like most of the same bands, just as with my friends, otherwise we wouldn't be on this site. And besides, you're the one assuming I'm something I'm not. I didn't call anyone "fanboy" you did. You are pissed over an opinion, and assumed that I'm one of those teens that is obsessed with bands. You disagree, fine...that's what people do.
:lol:

I'm not pissed.

First I saw these two things:

1) Opeth can play Dying Fetus material IF they wanted to
2) Dying Fetus could NOT play Opeth if they wanted to

That's assuming quite a bit :p

Obviously they're all talented musicians, saying one can do something else but the other can't... well.... err... sounds no different than you saying your daddy can beat up mine. :loco:

ramses said:
Good guitarists, man. What's the best Lane album? I only have Powers of Ten.

That's the best one, although, Powers of Ten live is impressive simply because he pulls off those beyond blistering leads without the benefit of ProTools. Also, you might want to try any of his collaborations with Jonas Helborg. Sad about his recent death. I was looking forward to his project with Buckethead.

apples and oranges, though dying fetus has more of a genre to put them into some kind of broader perspective; opeth doesn't have a ton of stuff that's too similar to it

To me, music is all about emotion and connecting with the listener. I feel that Opeth is superior to Dying Fetus in this aspect. Opeth wins, IMO.

Now here's two bands we can compare, one being related to Opeth.

Bloodbath vs. Dying Fetus?

xenophobe said:
:lol:

I'm not pissed.

First I saw these two things:

1) Opeth can play Dying Fetus material IF they wanted to
2) Dying Fetus could NOT play Opeth if they wanted to

That's assuming quite a bit :p

Obviously they're all talented musicians, saying one can do something else but the other can't... well.... err... sounds no different than you saying your daddy can beat up mine. :loco:
Never said DF could not. Check it again, I just said I'm sure they could strum fast. Again it's just a "What if" scenario. Opeth have played Df type metal before..can Df play Opeth's style if they chose to? Some bands, as you know experiment on an album, like Anathema for example, but don't go back, or keep the death growls or brutal style guitars in their music anymore. I like Anathema's recent work, don't get me wrong, but I miss the Pentecost III stuff. So when I said Opeth's multifaceted stlye, I was referring to their hard/soft combinations. I know that's a little off of the disagreement we have, but that's why I think Opeth is better overall, they can do both well, and I wonder if DF can do it.

Risquit said:
That's the best one, although, Powers of Ten live is impressive simply because he pulls off those beyond blistering leads without the benefit of ProTools. Also, you might want to try any of his collaborations with Jonas Helborg. Sad about his recent death. I was looking forward to his project with Buckethead.
Speaking of Buckethead, which Laswell should I start with? I can't remember, but a Buckethead album back around 2001 came out, but there was a little bit of rap on it, so that turned me off. Most of the Jazz stuff I have is of the bands Mahavishnu,Di Meola, Brand X, and Holdsworth variety. I have to replace Powers of Ten, because the last year or so, it won't play properly in any cd player.

ramses said:
Never said DF could not. Check it again, I just said I'm sure they could strum fast. Again it's just a "What if" scenario. Opeth have played Df type metal before..can Df play Opeth's style if they chose to? Some bands, as you know experiment on an album, like Anathema for example, but don't go back, or keep the death growls or brutal style guitars in their music anymore. I like Anathema's recent work, don't get me wrong, but I miss the Pentecost III stuff. So when I said Opeth's multifaceted stlye, I was referring to their hard/soft combinations. I know that's a little off of the disagreement we have, but that's why I think Opeth is better overall, they can do both well, and I wonder if DF can do it.
Well, you insinuated it. Opeth never has done any technical/brutal, but if they were to want to play it, I'm sure they would give it a good run. You doubt that Dying Fetus could play progressive?

Talented musicians are talented musicians. Personally, I like each band for what they want to do, and think it's better to just like them for what they are than to speculate what they are not.

We will disagree. :p

ramses said:
Fanboy?...Let me guess ..You two guys are probably teens or in their early twenties.I've Been listening to death metal I'm sure a lot longer than the 2 of you put together.
Then you should know better than to be arguing with kids on the Internet. :lol:

Bah, anyway, I can't be bothered with this much since you seem to be going off into rather irrelevant tangents quite frequently.

TranquilDeath said:
Now here's two bands we can compare, one being related to Opeth.

Bloodbath vs. Dying Fetus?
Again, two different sorts of death metal. :)