"The Lotus Eater" is conceptually immaculate; shut the hell up.

Well, I see you guys (/girls?) ReverieUnfold and BlueSky had a bit of a conversation here. Reverie's album by album-summary is pretty spot-on (of course not totally in-depth) and so it's not fair to say he "has no clue what he's talking about". I can totally understand what both of you want to say and frankly your views are not so different after all.

HOWEVER you folks seem to manage to provocate/ignore each other in one way or another pretty well and before I pin-point the small and unnecessary fragments I just want you stop being pretentious/ignorant and just CHILL.
Cause there's a lot of potential in the comments of both of you, if you care to post them in a non-hostile way.
PEAC EOUT

Geez, being the Ghandi here :lol:

Originally posted by BlueSky:
I love how you have yet to dissect the music itself, and someone you've steamrolled me again. Tell me what's so different between most the records?

I see now you have no clue what you're talking about, which means I'm wasting my time as it is. Good day.

I gave you a taste of exactly what you asked for, and you're yet to at least acknowledge any bit of it-- let alone agree. How about this for subjective analysis:

"I see now you have no clue what you're talking about" = "I'm trying desperately to save face by shifting attention to the ostensible wordiness of a post I asked for but can't/won't expend effort to understand!"

Now that I actually -am- approaching pretentiousness in my belittlement, I'm done.

I think its just a case of extremes. Reverie over hear almost over analyzes Opeth and describes each of their albums with over the top adjectives as if he's about to start some Opeth revolution.

BlueSky or whatever his name is, however, seems to act as if he doesn't see any progression at all between Opeth albums.

Meet in the middle, pie damnit.

It's not that I don't see a progression in the sense that they were perfecting their trademark formula on most the albums. Orchid/Morningrise is a band thats not quite sure of where they want to go, MAYH is where they gained some focus, Still Life is focused, and BWP is the peak of the formula, D1/D2 are the extreme split personalities of that(although D1 does incorporate some fresher influences,) Ghost Reveries is a step towards a new goal, and Watershed has taking that step into some new directions. If you really wanted to scrutinize it.

In the end Mike has formulated a really unique sound, but it has certainly taken him a while, and I'm glad to see him move on from it because otherwise he'd truly have no more songs left to write. However I know he's still going keep it intact in some form or another, but I'm sure it will rear its head less, and less as time goes on.

It really shouldn't be taken as any offense because that's just the way it is.

Interesting thread.

What I find almost humorous about the arguement with the 'Nintendo' break is that, played on high gain guitar, noone would think twice about that particular part.

Now, being someone who absolutely loathes the sound of quite a few revered synths (like Hammonds in certain scenarios, for example), I can see the complaint. But that keyboard part also flows wonderfully into the piece that follows it, which was probably 2/3rds of the point.

In the end, does it fit? Does it make sense in the tune, or is it a throw-in akin to so many riffs certain other bands who's initials are DT are known for?

Does it even matter?

Time, and probably a lot of listening will be the judgement for many... this disc, moreso than even the last, seems to need some time to sit in one's head.... fermenting.

The one thing I see Opeth continually doing, and especially on this CD, highlighting, is turning the typical idea of a song back into a musical piece. They're certainly not the only band out there that takes the verse-chorus-verse-solo-verse idea that we've been smothered with for the last 6 decades +, and throws it right out the window... but it's great to see the idea just continuing on. And for that.... :headbang::headbang::headbang:

..very interesting post...I think both bluesky and reverieunfold have articulated their points pretty well..for the record, I love TLE, I love the drumming which sounds plain unhuman at times and I love the keyboard break..there's a real energy to Watershed and TLE in particular..sounds like a band enjoying themselves and I like to hear that..although, if "Deliverance" was the sound of a band really NOT enjoying themselves, I like that too!