"The Lotus Eater" is conceptually immaculate; shut the hell up.

I find TLE to be one of my favorite songs on WS. They keyboard "nintendoish" part is alot of fun to hear and reminds me that they are just trying to have fun doing what they love to do. The ending of the song is my favorite part. The keyboard goes from fun to absolute evil (to me anyway) and that is what Mike likes Opeth to sound like. I think the song is a remarkable acheivement.

Okay, so the assertion is that Mike deliberately put in the "circus part" to represent embracing the 'hopeless delight' of alcohol? I think your analysis of the theme is very interesting, but I also think its utterly pointless to single out a specific section of music and say, "oh this passage represents blah blah blah". This is ridiculous; Opeth does not write program music and The Lotus Eater is not Peter and the Wolf. The best we can do is say that a certain section of music evokes certain emotions in us, and even that is purely on an individual basis.

Good analysis/opinion Reverie, although if you want to see things as a whole you must be aware of the whole thing, lets say : You are listening to The Lotus Eater, then analyse the interaction between the parts of that sentence as independent entities who come to meet/relate each other, and not a simple analysis, it should be some kind of contextual/longitudinal analysis and then you must be aware of a trascendental point, the fact that between the I, You, etc. there is a huge gap in which different contextual/longitudinal factors interact, resulting in a completely different perspective/analysis... therefore each and every analysis is valid...

Good thread. The lotus eater is my favorite track on the album along with Heir apparant and Burden. I always thought that "funk" section was really creepy, it's sorta happy in an insane not quite right in the head type way.

The following three quotations are segments of a BlueSky post:

Just because they throw in a small fairly unexpected part doesn't mean much, but it was an honest attempt that I would have like to have been pushed further, and what I was trying to say is I understand if people don't accept it so fast.

The less one understands about different types of music, the less one will understand what's truly different (legitimately unexpected) about Opeth's music from album to album.

There are bands that constantly put out out cd after cd of entire collection of songs that you'd never see coming, and not just some small part in 9 albums.

Care to name-drop? You're speaking of said bands in the present tense ("constantly put out"), whose converse I referred to before; when you're invested in a band from release to release, that music is going to seem more different than if you became a fan years later and listened to, say Deliverance through Watershed in a few hours, weeks, whatever, as opposed to digesting them years at a time like you did. That's likely why you perceive the period of D2 onward as "that which has seen the the biggest amount of change in the context of their catalogue"; you were listening to it album at a time, waiting for the next. That assures understanding better than listening to Orchid through BWP in a much shorter period of time. I infer this to have been the case, as you seem not to appreciate the incredible aesthetic deviance among the first five albums.

As for Damnation it wasn't an attempt towards change as Mike said he wanted it to be a one time thing, and that's that. You seem to like to hear yourself talk trying to gain some cred on the forum instead of trying to have a level headed conversation. Lastly you're not going to steamroll me with anything since the music speaks for itself. Although It's not like I haven't been listening since before Deliverance onward, which has seen the biggest amount of change in the context of their catalogue, but thanks for assuming.

Again, you present a multi-layered contradiction. You're now saying Damnation was no attempt at change because Mike said it was "a one-time-thing"-- as opposed to something they'd stick with?! An instance of change is change whether or not it's followed by a different change or a repeat, and the fact that they didn't repeat Damnation reinforces the album as change followed by change in a new direction-- progression. (Not to mention you yourself said you don't grasp "why people act like Opeth have had some drastic change ever besides Damnation.")

Haha, I think I -already- steamrolled you with -my- levelheadedness; I'm the one covering my bases and not concocting mind-boggling contradictions. I didn't assume anything (about your longevity as a fan?), unlike you and your presumption that I post for intellectual credit on a forum chock full of idiots. I post to counterbalance their bile with thoughts about music I love, not to gain unimportant internet recognition. Any part of my previous post you might have taken offense at exists likely because I guess you, "unlike me, have come to expect what Opeth has up their sleeves." Stupid, highhanded bullshit.

Speaking of assumptions...

Originally posted by Crepuscularia:
Okay, so the assertion is that Mike deliberately put in the "circus part" to represent embracing the 'hopeless delight' of alcohol? I think your analysis of the theme is very interesting, but I also think its utterly pointless to single out a specific section of music and say, "oh this passage represents blah blah blah". This is ridiculous; Opeth does not write program music and The Lotus Eater is not Peter and the Wolf. The best we can do is say that a certain section of music evokes certain emotions in us, and even that is purely on an individual basis.

Nope, that was never an assertion:

My inference of TLE's concept from its music is of course completely subjective, but this does not at all nullify the aforementioned truth about concrete concepts.

^That's been in the thread since I wrote it. Thanks for reading. Sad when your thoughts are good but rendered less relevant by context you ignored.

Originally posted by Tangled:
Referring to TLE I would have to agree with you. I find the drum work to be totally out of place, and at times overly flashy (alot of the fills and transitions don't make any sense to me) Its an interesting song no doubt, I tend to enjoy the keyboard breakdown. It sounds fine, the problem in that song is the drum work.

Really?!? I respect your opinion, though I wish you would better substantiate it. Honestly I find 2:52 - 4:14 of TLE among Opeth's best performance synergy on any album-- Axe's drumming practically making it. The song segment is so anguished, it's incredible.

Originally posted by Tangled:
I would think sincerity and originality would go hand in hand. Sincerity is overrated on its own, anyone can write a sincere watered down love song that we've all heard many times but I think originality is what makes each and every (good) love song interesting. Yes Mikes writing is emotionally authentic, but is it not at the same time original? I dont think Opeth fans want art for art's sake, I think they want heavy music that isnt quiet as mindless and one dimensional as the overwhelming majority of "metal" or just music in general is today. Opeth's music has dynamic and mystery, they dont put out albums that I can understand at first glance and then put down. I (and I would assume most fans) listen to Opeth albums endlessly. Its one of the few bands that I actually go out of my way for to buy their album, just so I can read the lyrics, look at the artwork and have a tangible copy of it, not just an Mp3. Their albums are simply amazing and too important not to own, I dont think any real opeth fans overlook that.

I agree completely that they go hand in hand, I just believe sincerity is more important because originality without it just sounds pretentious-- originality for its own sake. The next step above that is originality motivated by a genuine passion for the original concept, not for the status of being original. I find Mikael Åkerfeldt's writing sincerely motivated by authentic personal experience, fond homage to inspirations, and passion for originality-- a beautiful, seemingly ideal combination. I infer your question-marked sentence was just a transition to the subject of Mike's songwriting originality, not actual doubt that I find Mike's writing original. I think I made it absolutely clear that I do and apologize if I suggested otherwise. Good contribution.

Edit:
I always thought that "funk" section was really creepy, it's sorta happy in an insane not quite right in the head type way.

Haha, there we go!

Ohh... like five-paragraph-essay type shit?

I very much agree on both points. I suppose I might try a functional analysis, though I think toward the end of such understanding repeated listens are the best teacher. I find the beginning 'hum'-drum fill-blastbeat contrast completely sensible, like a despondent lullaby expounded upon with sadness and anger toward its prompting. The shift at :49 is to me one of their most engaging-- a great further enveloping of the listener. As I said before, that the brilliance of 2:42 - 4:14 (or the whole song) would be lost on anyone astounds me. Indeed, if the musical structure is put into better perspective, even of possible inspiration, it can be appreciated better than if isolated and viewed as a string of riffs and passages that either cohere or do not.

Agreed. Another subjective observation: it seems like there's a lot of alternation between major and minor in this song, in terms of which is prominent in a given section; which might be representing two different natures struggling for dominance. In the last section after the funk-keyboard breakdown, this major/minor alternation seems to become more rapid....

again I'm not SURE that's what's actually going on musically, but it might be something worth investigating, and would certainly fit easily with (what appears to be) the theme.

I think he's referring to I-IV-V type musical analysis.

Ah, like rock/blues chord progressions?

Edit: ^Haha, I guess so.

Another subjective observation: it seems like there's a lot of alternation between major and minor in this song, in terms of which is prominent in a given section; which might be representing two different natures struggling for dominance. In the last section after the funk-keyboard breakdown, this major/minor alternation seems to become more rapid [...] and would certainly fit easily with (what appears to be) the theme.

Brilliant.