"The Lotus Eater" is conceptually immaculate; shut the hell up.

ReverieUnfold

Psychotropeth
Jun 17, 2008
Before feeble insults are hurled at me by members who think longevity on this god-forsaken forum gives them social capital to be assholes, I'll inform you that my former account was registered in August, 2003; no, this isn't my first post. I'd been lurking since early 2006 and felt compelled to resume my posting due mainly to:

complaints about Watershed, hinging in any part on "The Lotus Eater" and its conceptually/musically brilliant funk-death keyboard 'breakdown' that's suffered attempted belittlement as being.. Nintendo-esque, or circus-like (bad?).

Basic knowledge of Greek mythology, even ethnobotany, should hint at the concept of TLE: the escapist lure of oblivion through drug use or the like, at the cost of truly important things. In Homer's Odyssey such escape is the lotus itself (likely Nymphaea nouchali var. caerulea and/or N. ampia) and consequently the distraction of Ulysses' men from their quest; in "The Lotus Eater", such escape is presumably alcohol ("Liquid is in your throat, one hopeless delight") at the sacrifice of oneself in general, perhaps talent specifically ("A barren waste is your land, crops they were sown to die"). Extend these ideas to analysis of not only all TLE's lyrics, but its music given their context. The 'Nintendo-esque' keyboard line can be easily interpreted as ignorant embrace of a "hopeless delight", met by the stark reality of loss possibly represented by the sinister song segment dropped into suddenly afterward ("And the pride of a mother, drawn close in your mother's son"). You might ask, why consider such interrelation? Well, besides "The Lotus Eater" being a song...

Åkerfeldt's statements about the relative unimportance of Opeth lyrics to music are not grounds for their dismissal, let alone with Watershed-- whose lyrics he wanted to write for what he said was basically the first time in his career. (This I actually doubt, as MAYH's lyrics were written before its music, though this is no detraction from Mike's statement or my point). A song's lyrics don't have to be its most important component for its music to be inspired by or even rooted in a concrete concept; music is the language of emotion, leaving such concepts to subjective interpretation and relation, not eliminating them from their existence and role in the creative process. My inference of TLE's concept from its music is of course completely subjective, but this does not at all nullify the aforementioned truth about concrete concepts.

By the way folks, Watershed's lyrics having been written in one night equals inspiration-- given Åkerfeldt's stated desire to write them. It does not matter nearly as much what possible creativity or refinement could've been added to them with time; sincerity beats originality, always. Too many Opeth fans want art for art's sake, not something rooted in emotional authenticity. I have always sensed an incredible degree of the latter in Mike's writing, and I wouldn't trade that for the most dazzlingly unheard musical concept, 'progressive' or not.

"Shut the hell up" is more of an attention-grabbing sentiment than how I really feel about people stating their opinions. Regardless, I'll maintain that many of said fans do not consider carefully (if at all) the artistic synergy of a work's every component.

Let's see what they might have to say.

Cheers.

Edit: By "carousel with 'hopeless delight'" I meant a 'dance with' or embrace of said hopelessness. My apologies for a confusing word choice.

ehh. It's not bad, but easily my least favorite on the cd. It took me the longest to get into, and now I enjoy it. I think a lot of people actually liked the song from the get go though.

The thread's point has a little less to do with TLE and a little more to do with people undermining if not completely missing certain aspects of Opeth's art, and thus cheating themselves out of the full appreciation or at least consideration that it deserves. My post is pretty cohesive; at worst the thread's title misrepresents it.

ReverieUnfold, you're my hero dude. That's an awesome analysis of the song. The Lotus Eater is one of my favorite songs off Watershed, if not my favorite. I love the atmosphere, and the way the song progresses.

And fuck all the people who diss on the keyboard solo. It's awesome, energetic, and makes a great transition.

The Lotus Eater has become one of my favorite Opeth tracks ever but not with ease. It took a lot of digesting.

I totally agree with your analysis. Never thought about the hopeless delight carousel though.

The thread's point has a little less to do with TLE and a little more to do with people undermining if not completely missing certain aspects of Opeth's art, and thus cheating themselves out of the full appreciation or at least consideration that it deserves. My post is pretty cohesive; at worst the thread's title misrepresents it.

The "Circus Part" was bound to throw people off a bit. It's fairly unexpected from what has come to be expected from the band. It's got a really great groove though, and will take repeated listens to fully be appreciated by most. My main problem is the execution in reference to the song structure makes the song seem a bit disjointed, which I feel is a problem a large portion of Opeth songs namely their first two albums. As far as the lyrical concepts go I think most people hold the actual music in higher regards, which means they usually aren't placing a high emphasis on the lyrics at all if they just don't enjoy the song itself. I've never really been too interested in Mikes lyrics so I haven't read LTE's, but those are some good observations, and definitely heightens my interesting in them.

too bad for Reverie cuz i dont really like to read.

However, I do also think that the nintendo-keyboard breakdown is a little out of place lol. But i cant undersnd this whole concpet of a greek mythology song, and trust me i am not educationally impared.

i picture a whole broadway row of naked little kids doing a professional dance while that shit is playing lol.
Makes me think that opeth could do with a little Michael Jackson influence...oh shit imagine that!!!

The "Circus Part" was bound to throw people off a bit. It's fairly unexpected from what has come to be expected from the band.

What's come to be expected from Opeth -is- the unexpected, even since Orchid (which Per Wiberg himself described as a breath of fresh air) and especially Morningrise, which confirmed these perceptions with "To Bid You Farewell". Almost no aesthetic should seem too far-fetched for inclusion in the band's repetoire of expression; especially not this 'circus-like' one, being so sinister in tone regardless of its style. The passage's likelihood of throwing people off, as well as contributing to your notion of TLE's ostensive disjointment, are the very kind of things that could be better avoided if people considered not just individual components but also conceptual wholes. Isolating analysis of music from its inspirations and conceptual/lyrical interactions can fragment understanding of it.

However, I understand that the structural disjointment you've perceived is in reference more to the first two albums' songs (a recognition I agree with and respect) and less to TLE with which transitions will come to be better understood.

I'm glad I've heightened interest in the lyrics at least to "The Lotus Eater". I find them much more staggering than those to "Heir Apparent", whose lyrics peaked my interest more because of the title than their initially problematic incoherence. Honestly, when I first read the names "Heir Apparent" and "The Lotus Eater", I thought Peter Lindgren and Martin Lopez.

too bad for Reverie cuz i dont really like to read.

... You mean too bad for everyone who'll read your post, as it's admittedly not informed by what a thread's posts are to be informed by: the thread. Congrats on a +1 post count.

Two things,

One: Thanks for the analysis of the song, it takes what I've understood about it and then multiplied it by 10.
Two: I for one, love the breakdown. It takes me back to the blowing of the Nintendo cartridges!

Well anyone nerdy enough to play Nintendo in the 80s probably listened to nerdy prog music anyway. Though Nintendo games were much cooler back then than they are now.

ehh. It's not bad, but easily my least favorite on the cd. It took me the longest to get into, and now I enjoy it. I think a lot of people actually liked the song from the get go though.

It made me shit my pants. I definitely grade it as one of Opeth's best of all times. Some riffs in that shit are so amazing, and the structure is fucking awesome and unpredictable. And holy crap, the "mother's eyes" part. Sometimes I feel only I see the pure awesomeness of it

What's come to be expected from Opeth -is- the unexpected, even since Orchid (which Per Wiberg himself described as a breath of fresh air) and especially Morningrise, which confirmed these perceptions with "To Bid You Farewell". Almost no aesthetic should seem too far-fetched for inclusion in the band's repetoire of expression; especially not this 'circus-like' one, being so sinister in tone regardless of its style. The passage's likelihood of throwing people off, as well as contributing to your notion of TLE's ostensive disjointment, are the very kind of things that could be better avoided if people considered not just individual components but also conceptual wholes. Isolating analysis of music from its inspirations and conceptual/lyrical interactions can fragment understanding of it.

However, I understand that the structural disjointment you've perceived is in reference more to the first two albums' songs (a recognition I agree with and respect) and less to TLE with which transitions will come to be better understood.
Quite the contrary to what you said I do look at songs as wholes, and that's my problem with the said part, which is exactly the problem with the first two cds being a lot of ideas, but little cohesiveness. It seems rather a forced entry than something that's been fully conceptualized as a whole. I do however commend the attempt because unlike you I've come to expect what Opeth has up their sleeves. I'm not quite grasping why people act like Opeth have had some drastic change ever besides Damnation there has always been a tried and true formula that Opeth have stayed extremely true to. In fact I think this cd is the only real attempt towards change.

It made me shit my pants. I definitely grade it as one of Opeth's best of all times. Some riffs in that shit are so amazing, and the structure is fucking awesome and unpredictable. And holy crap, the "mother's eyes" part. Sometimes I feel only I see the pure awesomeness of it
I just don't dig the heavy parts of the song or the structure really.

First good thread I've seen in weeks. Although like someone else said, not many here will have the patience to read or understand it.

I think the topic creator got his point through, so in defense for the Lotus Eater "circus" part, I have to say that I think it fits perfectly. It's completely natural and seems in no way "forced", in my opinion.

Quite the contrary to what you said I do look at songs as wholes, and that's my problem with the said part, which is exactly the problem with the first two cds being a lot of ideas, but little cohesiveness. It seems rather a forced entry than something that's been fully conceptualized as a whole. I do however commend the attempt because unlike you I've come to expect what Opeth has up their sleeves. I'm not quite grasping why people act like Opeth have had some drastic change ever besides Damnation there has always been a tried and true formula that Opeth have stayed extremely true to. In fact I think this cd is the only real attempt towards change.

I just don't dig the heavy parts of the song or the structure really.

I don't think that's true at all, if you take say Orchid or Morningrise, and compare it to GR or Watershed, they have a completely different sound. And I'm not talking about the production, I mean the overall structure of the songs. It may just be me.

Non-shit thread. Am I the first on these forums to say that?

But seriously, if only all posters here, including myself, posted like this fellow. Good read.
+3.