Something I thought I wouldn't see - critical Opeth review

Originally posted by requiem
Yeah, but everyone knows that if it ain't black metal, then Chedsey won't give it more than a 7 basically.

He's got a great sight, but his tastes are definitely reflected in his reviews.

Just check the black metal bands they've covered. I assure you, Chedsey almost always gives them a good mark...

While bands like Opeth and My Dying Bride miss out.

But that's just taste for you.

I have to say that this thread was cool because although different opinions were presented, no one lowered themselves to petty insults and whatnot....my hats are off to everyone for showing that fans can understand not everyone feels the same about the same things.

But I did have to comment on this particular quote. 1) There aren't number ratings at SSMT nor will there ever be. 2) Black metal fans DESPISE me because I am hard on black metal bands in general. I love certain bands such as Immortal or Darkthrone, but for the most part I'm not that crazy about the masses of generic, Satan flaunting dorks out there. And when one considers I also give favorable reviews to the likes of the Minutemen, Nomeansno, ALL, Frank Black and countless others, it's apparent someone hasn't checked out my site as thoroughly as they could have.

Otherwise, cool to see a thread that doesn't bash someone for disagreeing.

John

This review was discussed at least twice before, this thread is the "peaceful" one.

John... can you explain why you consider Blackwater Park and Still Life to be more "meandering" than the first two records? If we look at the music itself (especially in comparison to Morningrise), the songs on the last two records are considerably more coherent and structured. On BWP, songs like "Bleak" and the title track are built of riffs that are related musically, through reoccurence of common motifs, and in addition to that, the title track has a very distinctive and dramatic structure (introduction of themes->interlude->intense development/deconstruction). "The Drapery Falls" is not my favourite song, but still, it's quite coherent and develops to a clearly defined climax. On Still Life, we have songs like "Godhead's Lament" and "Moonlapse Vertigo" that are tied together in the same way, not to mention "Face of Melinda" which is built on developments of one and the same theme, almost until the end. You won't see songwriting of this kind on Morningrise. So, the question is why do you still like the first two records and dislike the last two? (this is not an attack!)

I like most of your reviews, but this little incoherence is strange.

D Mullholand

To bring out different opinions,

Laziness as we could put it is exactly the thing I like about BWP. Themes which seem to start developing but in fact go nowhere. As if the album is testament to being idle. I could get really philosophical about this...

The catch of the album lies IMO on how they tie any TWO parts together, not necessarily whole songs. Looking at it like this, the parts never seem to come out just thrown together, even if a whole musical piece would seem somewhat odd as a song. From a musician's point of view, all the chord and tonality changes are quite geniously done. You have to forget what happened a minute ago and concentrate on the moment. The album as a whole is as still as the cover predicts, going nowhere, but when you look closer you'll find beauty in the details.

Hey, SSMT... check out MARTYR (www.wecome.to/martyr), and review it... :D

And it's good to see that someone is finally being honest about Opeth as opposed to sucking their cocks like half the ppl on this forum do. :rolleyes:

SSMT :headbang: I've found heaps of new stuff through your site... so, i thank you for the cool idea and site.

-T. Diddy.

Vortex said:-

Laziness as we could put it is exactly the thing I like about BWP. Themes which seem to start developing but in fact go nowhere. As if the album is testament to being idle. I could get really philosophical about this...

to add to this philosophical pontification, remember that Mikael has loosley stated that BWP is about death, in all its shades of grey. If various technical themes are left unfinished, perhaps that is the purpose. As if they just die...

To me, there's something extremely entropic about BWP and I think the band has displayed this well by breaking down certain elements of the songs to simple, dirge like chords.

BWP isn't for everyone, but I guess you have to try and understand what mood the band is really trying to set.

Originally posted by Trapped
May i just ask, why do you think that a critical Opeth review is "Something I thought I wouldn't see"?

Opeth are far from perfect... and people are entitled to opinion... mine personally is that Blackwater sucks ass compared to Still Life or MAYH...

...And there are plenty of critical opinions of Opeth on the net... you've just got to look past this forum... for this forum is full of closed minded ass kissers that will NOT be critical of their 'gods'.

C'mon... I'll take you ALL on at once!!! I've got barrel-man on my side now!! Muha ha ha ha! :lol:

Damn, this is scary I am almost agreeing with Trapped :rolleyes:

I would have to say that MAYH and Still Life are the most 'structured' albums that Opeth have produced as a whole, because the theme of the albums runs its course and the songs naturally have to complement that.

BWP, I feel was something more experimental, because they were working with a producer that they were all fans of and took a more experimental approach to the album, and all in all, I really like what they have come up with, I would have to say that it is my favourite Opeth album. He really improved Opeth's production and I guess kind of implemented a new layer to the sound, mainly the airy, stretched out, guitar melodies that have kind of become a trademark to the album. The Drapery Falls I would have to say is my current favourite Opeth song because I totally love the way it's structured, I totally get into where it goes and how it goes about getting there, and the intro and closing sections are there to kind of give the song a trademark sound, almost like a chorus to it. As for themes, I really don't know where this album goes, but after MAYH and Still Life, I really wasn't expecting another themed, significant kind of album. I mean seriously, it was a cool idea and all, and I really get into it but Mikael himself has said that it was irritating to make all the bits and pieces fit in on MAYH and Still Life. I don't mind that it was kind of spontaneous and Mikael wrote about whatever was on his mind, the main theme being death I suppose.

I can really understand why a person would not be able to get into the music and even listen to a song in one sitting, but Opeth is just like that, it takes a certain kind of person to get into it, and I'm totally cool with people that don't, they can just move on and get into whatever interests them.

Originally posted by Salamurhaaja

Damn, this is scary I am almost agreeing with Trapped :rolleyes:

It's a fact. BWP is a great cd, but it is nothing compared to their older works, in particular Still Life and MAYH.

I find that the arrogance of a number of Opeth fans in relation to how they see opeth is amusing, and even offensive sometimes. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and it seems that a number of people here follow the opinion of others in the terms of which albums they like and which bands they like. I don't care what anyone likes or dislikes, as long as they don't see themselves as better than anyone else because of it... because lets face it, while Opeth are really cool, they are nowhere near perfect, and nowhere near 'gods' or 'the best'. There is proggier bands out there, there is more emotional bands out there, and there is more atmospheric bands out there... not to mention virtuosity in terms of instrumentation... Opeth is good, but not THAT good.

-T. Diddy.