You must read this review of Blackwater Park !

I had read this review some time ago, and I respect John Chedsey as a reviewer. And he does like Opeth. I don't know it anyone has already pointed this out but Morningrise gets a far worse review by Rahul Joshi on there; http://www.ssmt-reviews.com/db/searchrev.php?artistID=850&showReview=true

In fact John and Rahul almost begin to verbally assault each other during to course of reviews of Opeth, Dream Theatre, Mayhem...
http://www.ssmt-reviews.com/db/searchrev.php?artistID=355&showReview=true#R841
http://www.ssmt-reviews.com/db/searchrev.php?artistID=713&showReview=true#R1644

Truly hilarious.

frycus said:
I've never understood why Orchid and Still Life are so popular on this site, especially Orchid which I consider a very average album.
As for Still Life, it has its' moments but it is far from the level of Blackwater Park.
I really wonder if the fans here are representative of the majority of Opeth fans. To most of the people I talk to, Blackwater Park and Deliverance are out of this world while Orchid is considered as pretty weak actually.

Orchid retains a sort of timelessness(probably because of it being so unstructured).
Blackwater Park on the other hand is a much tighter album and this very reason causes it to lack longevity(in relative terms). Also some of the songs do tend to drag, and the album feels a bit too long. I could say the same about Still Life too(but to a much lesser extent).

The point I'm trying to make is that, the newer ones hold more appeal during the first listens itself, while Orchid grows with time.

Anyway, I guess John Chedsey is one of the better reviewers and if he likes an album its probably pretty good, which is good enough for me :Spin:

Moonlapse said:
^ Was about to say the same thing.

The 'BP + DD ROOOLZZZ!!!' response I'd expect from newer fans who are not as accepting of the old material, mainly for its production values and because it is generally less accessible.

The fact that frycus views BP as a superior album to Still Life instantly gives me the impression that he is a newer fan who has not yet been able to digest the more abstract forms of structure Opeth used in the past, as opposed to the quite standard fare seen in BP, and to a much greater degree in Deliverance.

As for the initial review. What really irks me is that the author talks about the music 'wandering' alot on later releases, yet he simultaneously praises the first two albums... 'wandering' alot more substantially, without any form of cohesive song structure. This looks like a blatant contradiction to me, but if anyone can shed more light on it, I'd be pleased.

How presumptuous of you to say that I am "a newer fan who has not yet been able to digest the more abstract forms of structure Opeth used in the past". In any case, I was expecting that type of response from a few people.
I also enjoyed your "BP+ DD Roolz" remark and its' underlying condescension towards fans of these albums.

Cutter said:
this observation no doubt comes from newer Opeth fans who love the brutal, thick production and sound of BP and Deliverance over the softer, thin guitar melodies of Orchid.

Is this true? Prove me wrong.

For its time, Orchid was different to most other metal albums around. And just listening to it hinted at the potential of the band.

Still Life for me was a turning point again. A point when Mikael's vocal capabalities where realised. If only the base was more prominent, and the production didn't fuck up occasionaly. But only a minor detraction from an otherwise awesome album.

My comment regarding Orchid has nothing to do with production values. It has to do with the quality of the music. It is simply not a very mature album in many ways.
I think Still Life has great moments. The Moor is one of the best Opeth tracks, on par with those on Blackwater Park but it is the only one although as I just said, Still Life does contain remarkable passages. The arrangements are great but the melodies, the inspiration is just not there.
Isn't the production on My Arms your Hearse brutal ? Well I am much more a fan of Morningrise with its' thin and clear production.
In fact, Morningrise is probably my second favorite Opeth album.

You can like Orchid for its' production values, the arrangements, the atmosphere but the composition are very weak IMO.

"Orchid retains a sort of timelessness(probably because of it being so unstructured)."

It is quite unstructured, I agree. I don't see how it is timeless though.
Blackwater Park on the other hand is a much tighter album and this very reason causes it to lack longevity(in relative terms). Also some of the songs do tend to drag, and the album feels a bit too long. I could say the same about Still Life too(but to a much lesser extent).

"I completly disagree with you here. If you have that impression, and pardon my being presomptuous, it could be because the quality of the writing is far superior on Blackwater Park than on any other Opeth album. It doesn't feel too long to me at all, it flows quite nicely and the melodies are all very memorable"

The point I'm trying to make is that, the newer ones hold more appeal during the first listens itself, while Orchid grows with time.

"I disagree again. Blackwater Park grew on me and in fact it is still growing.
Orchid has never mesmerized despite repeated listens. I wish I could like the album more but it hasn't."

"Anyway, I guess John Chedsey is one of the better reviewers and if he likes an album its probably pretty good, which is good enough for me"

Check out this review. As many others music connoisseurs and high level musicians, this critic also realizes that the songwriting on Blackwater Park is superior than on previous Opeth releases. Not to say that I am right but that some agree with me.
This review is from All Music :

Not since the release of Tiamat's groundbreaking masterpiece,Wildhoney, in 1994 has the extreme metal scene witnessed such an overwhelming show of fan enthusiasm and uniform critical praise as that which was bestowed upon Blackwater Park, the astounding fifth effort from Sweden's Opeth. Of course, the album's impact has yet to be tested by time and the scale of its influence, and few would argue its very obvious stylistic debt to Wildhoney itself, but such conjecture shouldn't detract from Blackwater Park's well-deserved acclaim. Rarely does a band manage to break new ground without losing touch with its roots, but Opeth remain steadfastly committed to their black metal origins, which they regularly unleashed in all its savage fury throughout the album. A work of breathtaking creative breadth, Blackwater Park (named after an obscure German progressive rock outfit from the '70s) keeps with Opeth tradition by shattering the foundations of conventional songwriting and transcending the limits of black metal with its progressive rock aspirations. The difference between this effort and prior offerings lies not only in the remarkably high songwriting standards achieved by main man Mikael Akerfeldt, but also in the first-time involvement of Porcupine Tree leader Steve Wilson, whose contributions as producer lend an unprecedented fluidity in the way the band presents their inventive arrangements. Divided not so much into songs as "movements" (as the band likes to call them), tracks start and finish in seemingly arbitrary fashion and traverse a wide musical terrain including, but not limited to, acoustic guitar and solo piano passages, ambient soundscapes, stoner rock grooves, and Eastern-tinged melodies (the vocals also run the gamut from bowel-churning grunts to melodies of chilling beauty). With all this in mind, pointing out exceptional tracks is mostly an exercise in futility, but in the spirit of first-time listeners, these are urged to start out with the Arabian-flavored riffs of "Bleak," the memorable chorus of "The Drapery Falls," the surprisingly gentle intro of "Dirge for November," and, finally, the all-encompassing title track. Then, with patience, the rest of the album's grand scheme will be revealed. [The 2002 reissue appended a second disc featuring the video for "Harvest" and two bonus tracks: "Still Day Beneath the Sun" and "Patterns in the Ivy II."]

Actually, Steven Wilson said he wasn't very pleased with his production on Blackwater Park... It's still a better job than previous efforts.

I actually think that Orchid had less stops and starts than Morningrise. Morningrise didn't have the dynamics Orchid did...

hahahaha to tell the truth my favourite Opeth album would be the one I'm listening to right now...

blakmetalemp: whats up down in the 'boro?

everyone else: reviews are silly. we're talking about pure subjectivity. who cares what some nerd in Nowheresville, Arkansas has to say about a band we like? personally i can't stand the idea that there are hacks that get paid to spout off about forms of expression. Considering the absolute subjectivity involved, can't they say anything they want and get away with it? how can one prove or disprove an opinion about a form of expression? if anything, only positive reviews should make it to print. why not just say something nice?
the truth of the matter is opeth are producing albums and doing exactly what they want with their lives and reviewers are banking that they'll produce more albums so they can say more stupid shit about them. or good stuff for that matter. who cares? they owe their very existence to the band in the first place....

blakmetalemp: heh. i sometimes work at the VA hospital there. that place is a slice of hell. if you ever want to experience true horror, go for a visit.

nihilist: that album is fucking awesome. it was me, peering through the looking glass...

blakmetalemp said:
Meh, I quit reading Johns reviews altogether.

Exactly.......
Unless its some underground punk/metal pseudo rock thing its all shit to John these days. don't bother with SSMTB. Waste of your bandwith.

He just seems to have the whinge button on 10 for some reason, and I know that review is pretty old but you don't see much metal reviewed on that site anymore, may he review in peace. And well go his own way, the Michael Moore clone that he is...and inflict his shit on something else other than our beloved metal.....