You must read this review of Blackwater Park !

wankerness said:
Like Dirge For November...it sounds like they wrote the acoustic intro, and then some other day wrote that distorted intro, and then weren't really sure what to do with the rest of the song.

Not exactly but you are entitled to your opinion.

I have no problem with negative reviews of Opeth, but some of them, especially on sites that let anyone contribute (Amazon, Metal Archives) are presented in an unprofessional manner, full of invalid arguments and bashing for its own sake...although I don't agree with SSMT most of the time, John is rarely guilty of this.

Since a few months ive started to hate reviews, especially those you read before buying an album. Most of them, especially negative ones, give you some kind of perspective you focus on when you listen to the album, instead of only letting the music talk. Thus they make appreciating an album in its complete brilliance, difficult.
Of course, everyone denies this, but i found that this in a way is always the case.

This is the reason i stopped to read reviews. If someone recommends me a band or i get to hear about an interesting band, ill check it out myself.

While I absolutely worship Blackwater Park, I do agree with a couple of points the reviewer had. Namely, Opeth's penchant for recording albums on the fly. Yes, we all love the results, but what happens when they enter the studio, driven with a vision? And rehearsed?

The next album may be made this way, according to statements by Mikael, so look out...we may have a true metal masterpiece coming our way.

That is right, but i guess a lot of creative musical ideas are created by sitting in the studio and just experimenting.

The only opinion that counts is your own. This guy is nothing special. Plus, the fact that he shows an obvious bias towards "old Opeth" gives me the impression that he's not a neutral reviewer. As I said, nothing special.

Ah, it's so great looking at those "oldschool"-people who just likes morningrise and things all the newer stuff is stupid, and if you go against him, you'll be a fanboy.

Apprentice's Master said:
The only opinion that counts is your own. This guy is nothing special. Plus, the fact that he shows an obvious bias towards "old Opeth" gives me the impression that he's not a neutral reviewer. As I said, nothing special.
Well, what's he supposed to do, automatically like later output cause he liked the earlier albums? And since when was reviewing objective?

Also, those reviews were written YEARS APART.

Well even if it did have "lack of direction" So fucking what? I bet he's the kind of guy who buys a ferrari, and only drives it to the local supermarket. Whereas Opeth fans like to go as many places as they can and enjoy the ride whilst not caring where there meant to be going. Whats more fun?

I think that was a great review, I think he feels opeth could do better and that they are not utilizing all their resources. I don't agree with him in any way but he does have a good point.

I respect any review that is unbiased and intelligent. While I'm not nearly as critical as him, I do believe he has a point. I don't agree with him on Still Life; I believe that it is their peak as far as songwriting maturity goes. However, I believe that Blackwater Park marked a slight decline that continued with Deliverance. I still find these albums mind boggling, but I don't think they're as good as the first four albums.

Those Amazon reviews fill me with anger.

I've never understood why Orchid and Still Life are so popular on this site, especially Orchid which I consider a very average album.
As for Still Life, it has its' moments but it is far from the level of Blackwater Park.
I really wonder if the fans here are representative of the majority of Opeth fans. To most of the people I talk to, Blackwater Park and Deliverance are out of this world while Orchid is considered as pretty weak actually.

frycus said:
I've never understood why Orchid and Still Life are so popular on this site, especially Orchid which I consider a very average album.
As for Still Life, it has its' moments but it is far from the level of Blackwater Park.
I really wonder if the fans here are representative of the majority of Opeth fans. To most of the people I talk to, Blackwater Park and Deliverance are out of this world while Orchid is considered as pretty weak actually.
this observation no doubt comes from newer Opeth fans who love the brutal, thick production and sound of BP and Deliverance over the softer, thin guitar melodies of Orchid.

Is this true? Prove me wrong.

For its time, Orchid was different to most other metal albums around. And just listening to it hinted at the potential of the band.

Still Life for me was a turning point again. A point when Mikael's vocal capabalities where realised. If only the base was more prominent, and the production didn't fuck up occasionaly. But only a minor detraction from an otherwise awesome album.

^ Was about to say the same thing.

The 'BP + DD ROOOLZZZ!!!' response I'd expect from newer fans who are not as accepting of the old material, mainly for its production values and because it is generally less accessible.

The fact that frycus views BP as a superior album to Still Life instantly gives me the impression that he is a newer fan who has not yet been able to digest the more abstract forms of structure Opeth used in the past, as opposed to the quite standard fare seen in BP, and to a much greater degree in Deliverance.

As for the initial review. What really irks me is that the author talks about the music 'wandering' alot on later releases, yet he simultaneously praises the first two albums... 'wandering' alot more substantially, without any form of cohesive song structure. This looks like a blatant contradiction to me, but if anyone can shed more light on it, I'd be pleased.

frycus said:

You consider Orchid Opeth's weakest work? everyone has there personal tastes though. I think Orchid has some of the greatest riffs (heavy & acoustic) Opeth have ever wrote & i also perfer the death vocals over any other album.