You must read this review of Blackwater Park !

frycus

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
This is from the Satan Stole My Teddybear website :
Simply unbelievable !

Blackwater Park Review #2

The mass hysteria Opeth has created within the metal community has baffled me to no end. While I freely admit both Orchid and Morningrise were two remarkable, groundbreaking efforts from this Swedish band, the resulting three albums since then (My Arms, Your Hearse, Still Life and now Blackwater Park) have done little to capture my attention for anything more than a fleeting moment. Perhaps the only remarkable aspect to Blackwater Park is the fact that Porcupine Tree/No-Man leader Steven Wilson lent his expertise in production to slightly focus Opeth's meandering music into something that suggests maybe someday Opeth will actually produce a truly progressive metal masterpiece.

In the months since I've acquired Blackwater Park, I don't believe I have once been able to sit through the cumbersome, wandering release in a single sitting. Much like AC/DC and the Ramones before them, Opeth has a very definite songwriting formula which relies on the interchanging of soft/hard passages, clean/harsh vocals and occasional acoustic noodlings. The impression is that bandleader Mikael Åkerfeldt pieces together a hodgepodge collection of riffs rather than visualizing entire songs within his head. Blackwater Park interviews with Åkerfeldt have confirmed that this band could be something more if their work ethic were as impressive as their technical skills. In the August 2001 issue of Metal Maniacs, he confirms the band rehearsed exactly three times before the recording of Blackwater Park and would rehearse more, but "we're just too lazy!" As a result, Blackwater Park is akin to someone taking a leisurely stroll through a shopping mall. One may see some shiny trinkets in various stores but since there is no purpose to the shopping trip, there is little beyond ear/eye candy in store for the listener. The songs presented on Blackwater Park do very little to engage listeners beyond some very pretty or intriguing passages. Unlike Morningrise, where the songs somehow overcame the cumbersome arrangements to reward the listener with the feeling everything came together for a satisfying experience, Blackwater Park meanders. Opeth has proven with their last three releases that their songwriting consists of their aforementioned formula and that they are simply stuck in a rut. The one standout, memorable track on this release is the acoustic based "Harvest", which has Steven Wilson's influence plastered all over it. The mesmerizing beauty of the guitar movements and the heartfelt clean singing suggest that if Opeth truly worked at their songwriting skills, they easily be one of the most outstanding metal acts of this new decade.

The aggravating thing about Opeth is that they constantly tease listeners with their undeniable talent. However, given their apparent lack of work ethic towards songwriting (I maintain their last three albums sound as though they were thrown together in the studio, using various riffs Åkerfeldt had come up with goofing off around the house), Opeth is a band I tend to tune out and lose interest in partway through each given song. Opeth could indeed be a formidable and excellent act if only they completely applied themselves to bettering their craft rather than sticking to a safe, predictable formula.

Review by John Chedsey

Predictable?
No doubt the guy has some sort of divination gift from God.

Anyway, every album gets one of these shitty reviews so don't be scared, the album is still fuckin great.

Obviously some underlying and personal distaste for this band, one he isnt totally confident in, hence his need to write such a long and repeticious review which saying little about the album itself, only commenting (several times more than would be necessary) that the songs lack direction. Which apparently this reviewers interview and band knowledge is equal to his assumption of mikael's work ethic...otherwise he would know that mikael enjoys writing music that has twists, turns and no real structure...for the complete spontaneous and adventurous musical experience. I also find this humorous, for if anything, opeths later releases have gotten far more focused and structured in song writing than orchid and morningrise, which seem to be the albums this douche bag is favoring. In any case, i agree with about 9% of what he said overall, and think that he has some unreasonable issues and or wannabe elitest persona in bashing what is probably the hottest selling metal album of the year 2001...and for good reason.

Oh my gosh, someone doesn't like my favorite band, and they wrote a shitty review about one of their albums! I need a tissue!

is it time to drag back the amazon reviews?

i read somewhere that said Grade 8 give opeth a run for their money. And since im a huge fan of Grade 8's impresive work and musicianship i thought i might as well check out this band called opeth. i mean, they had to be good if they were in the same stanza with the work grade 8 right! well wrong! opeth is just another scream scream band with no talent what so ever. even when a acoustic thing does show up its really stupid and doestn go with the song what so ever. the singer sucks ass! his name is mikael akerfeldt, it should be mikael a$$erfeldt! this is just a huge waste of money, if you like good music though i recomend Good Charlotte! or Grade 8!
This is garbage. The singer is trying to be early slayer, and they are trying to sound like genius, only fall flat on their faces. This is for the metal-geek with too much time on his hands. To compare this band to Tool is a slap in the face.
there are so many people who just dont like the growling as well, just cant stand it because its different to what they are used to.

and the funniest one fo them all (said about morningrise):

Imagine Limp Bizkit mixed with classical music, it might sound ok if they knew how to play their instuments . Not good, not worth buying, liten to the new album from Cold or Linkin Park, now theres REAL talent .

yeah... never read so many bad reviews about opeth :D

strange, but good ones are quite always longer than the others... it's simple to say "BWP is shit", but difficult to argue about that.

Basically everyone in the reviews smashing Opeth has the same problems:

- Boring
- No solos
- No distortion
- An Emotional theme
- Songs are too long
- Soft song on it
- no clear structure
- slow parts
- Acoustic parts

This reflects the narrow-mindedness of the typical "Metal-Head" just so clearly.

Woah, Chris it almost hurt me physically to read some of those quotes. Last one in particular... I wonder if it's normal to cringe for over 5 minutes...

I think a good deal of us can deal with the fact that people don't like Opeth. I'm yet to see a decent justification of it though, especially by someone who favours Linkin Park and somehow thinks that Opeth = Limp Bizkit + Classical????

Anyways, about the first review... I'd read that a long time ago. I can't recall too well, but I either concluded that he was taking the piss or his reviews were so inconsistent with one another that he either had to be a moron, or as before, taking the piss.

Seriously, you people complaining about his review are just being fanboys. He gives perfectly good justification for disliking it. He says IN THE BEGINNING OF THE REVIEW that he thinks Orchid and Morningrise were both really good, what more do you want? You idiots saying he must have a GRUDGE against Opeth obviously missed the beginning of the review, and the many other parts where he praises parts of the album but says the songwriting is flawed. Anyway, yes, he obviously DID like Opeth...his reviews of both My Arms Your Hearse and Still Life are fairly positive, but you can see he's losing enthusiasm with each of them, and by Blackwater Park he's pretty much given up. Seriously people, get your heads out of your asses.

I can definitely see how you could say Blackwater Park sticks to their "formula," and I think that review was very intelligently written. All of the stuff about "moments of brilliance" but having it stuck in a sort of hodgepodge I can also definitely understand. Don't get me wrong, I love Blackwater Park, but some of the songs are undeniably pieced together in haphazard ways. Like Dirge For November...it sounds like they wrote the acoustic intro, and then some other day wrote that distorted intro, and then weren't really sure what to do with the rest of the song.

If you can't accept that review, you'd probably label ANY negative Opeth review as stupid, and therefore your opinion really doesn't count because you're not thinking rationally. EZ$$

Evil Ernie said:
Predictable?
No doubt the guy has some sort of divination gift from God.

Anyway, every album gets one of these shitty reviews so don't be scared, the album is still fuckin great.
Yeah, every album sure did. That's why the first 4 albums got positive (or at least fairly positive) reviews from the same Mr. Chedsey. Maybe you should learn how to actually read the reviews on the site before talking about them.

ChrisEmerson said:
is it time to drag back the amazon reviews?

there are so many people who just dont like the growling as well, just cant stand it because its different to what they are used to.

and the funniest one fo them all (said about morningrise):
That Morningrise one is VERY VERY VERY obviously a joke, as is the one that recommends good charlotte. Gimme a break, no one that likes either of those bands the most would have ever bothered checking out Opeth. The middle one really IS a stupid review, though.

did you ever heard someone saying opeth is simple? Those reviewers listens to simple bands or accessibles bands.. If they are'nt open musically it's not my problem. Don't get me wrong, simple music can be great the way you feel it. There's a way to say the band has talent and they are good even if you don't like it. That's why i don,t give a damn about those reviews. As far as linkin park, good charlotte, and all those things, I can however say they sucks.

Alright, I read the METAL ARCHIVES reviews of Morningrise, now some of THOSE were truly moronic bad reviews. If people start complaining that Opeth is untalented and horrible and can't play instruments and they have no melody, and then start talking about how great MANOWAR and ICED EARTH are, you know not to listen to them.

The atmosphere on this forum is really going down the pits !

I didn't post this because the reviewer bashes Opeth, incidently my favorite band. I posted it because his arguments in doing so are quite ridiculous. What we have here is a blatant case of someone judging an album in bad faith.
Another interesting thing is that the Orchid review by the same critic is incredibly positive despite his beef with the randomness of Blackwater Park.

wankerness said:
That Morningrise one is VERY VERY VERY obviously a joke, as is the one that recommends good charlotte. Gimme a break, no one that likes either of those bands the most would have ever bothered checking out Opeth. The middle one really IS a stupid review, though.
youd think it was a joke, but these type of people do exist, you can never tell...