Opeth -vs- Otep

i haven't actually heard otep...'cause the name just annoyed me...hehehe.... my stupid idiot friend was like "yeah! they're playing at ozzfest!" (this was earlier this year when opeth played the meanfiddler - may or something - i was talking about them) and i was like ummmmmm huh?! opeth?! at ozzfest?!?!?! and then i realised what had happened...

They're not a fucking arch enemy or opeth wannabe band ...they just have a chick singer and a simmilar name to Opeth ...saying that they're a arch enemy or opeth wannabe band is giving them too much credit...they're a dumb korn/slipknot wannabe nu-metal band.

Otep sucks. I was expecting them to be pretty cool what with the apparent Egyptian theme, I was handed their demo a year or so ago, and UUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHh.....

Lousy, repetitive, very repetitive, one riff repetition, and very repetitive. Yuck.

At least I found out why the singer sounded like the younger angrier pre-pubescent brother of the dude from Stinkin Pork when I stumbled across their video one night, I didn't know that she was a she until then. :)

How the hell can you even compare the two? Otep are crappy nu-metal posers in it for the $$$ despite their efforts to call themselves poets. Do I need to explain that Opeth are an extremely talented progressive death metal band? Didn't think so...

And if you want the Egyptian touch, liste to Nile, fuckdammit. Otep probably ripped them as well. "Hey I know, let's steal the name of a good band, the ideas of another, and the concept... well, let's just take whatever makes us the most $$". Great band...

Originally posted by Nefilim
And if you want the Egyptian touch, liste to Nile, fuckdammit.

Hahaha, that's probably what I was expecting when I threw the tape in, a Nile ripoff! Something much worse though... yeecccchhhh. :yuk:

Originally posted by Masters Apprentice
Opeth are really shitty nu-metal.

I agree. I mean, really, why do you people like this band? The vocals are like hes singing into a rusty tin can...the drums sound like they are kitchen appliances being banged together...the guitars so badly produced its like someone scratching on a classroom black board...

Opeth is like, the worst music ever made...

Originally posted by Nefilim
How the hell can you even compare the two? Otep are crappy nu-metal posers in it for the $$$ despite their efforts to call themselves poets. Do I need to explain that Opeth are an extremely talented progressive death metal band? Didn't think so...

And if you want the Egyptian touch, liste to Nile, fuckdammit. Otep probably ripped them as well. "Hey I know, let's steal the name of a good band, the ideas of another, and the concept... well, let's just take whatever makes us the most $$". Great band...

Granted that Otep do blow goats, how do you know they're in it for the money? Did you talk to them about it? (If you did :eek:) Maybe they actually like the kind of music they play and are doing it for themselves or for the love of music.

About the Opeth/Nile ripoff thing, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't know either of the two. From what I heard somewhere, I think the chick calls herself Otep, and so the band is known as that. I'm not sure on that though. But I wouldn't be surprised if they've never heard (of) Opeth.

There's a very good chance that they do know of Nile, but I think the Egyptian thing isn't a ripoff thing. Most people I know find middle eastern, Egyptian, Arabic style music to be really cool, intriguing, etc. etc.

Just my $0.02.

PS: My drummer always wanted to name the band "Nefilim." Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I read somewhere that there actually is a European band with that name.

Originally posted by Aborted Fetus
Granted that Otep do blow goats, how do you know they're in it for the money? Did you talk to them about it? (If you did :eek:) Maybe they actually like the kind of music they play and are doing it for themselves or for the love of music.

About the Opeth/Nile ripoff thing, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't know either of the two. From what I heard somewhere, I think the chick calls herself Otep, and so the band is known as that. I'm not sure on that though. But I wouldn't be surprised if they've never heard (of) Opeth.

There's a very good chance that they do know of Nile, but I think the Egyptian thing isn't a ripoff thing. Most people I know find middle eastern, Egyptian, Arabic style music to be really cool, intriguing, etc. etc.

Just my $0.02.

PS: My drummer always wanted to name the band "Nefilim." Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I read somewhere that there actually is a European band with that name.

Well, Otep comes off as sort of commercial considering the nu-metal they play. And don't tell me it is a sound of their own, because it isn't. It's american-style nu-metal, which means heavy enough for mainstream-people to think they're really cool if they listen to this kind of satanically dark and heavy music.

About the Opeth/Nile ripoff, it was a joke :p
I'm well aware that these people probably never heard of either band, but as a comment to those who like the egyptian touch in Otep I say: listen to Nile!

About the Nefilim... Yes, it's a European band, and a damn good one too. Originally called "Fields of the Nephilim" the band released their first EP in -84. Broke up in 1991 I think, and the singer went on to form his own band, called "The Nefilim". While "Fields..." was one of the greatest goth/ambient-rock bands to see the light of day, The Nefilim went on to a much darker and heavier sound. It's really scary sometimes. The man behind the music is a genius!

Cheers,
Nef

Originally posted by Static
I agree. I mean, really, why do you people like this band? The vocals are like hes singing into a rusty tin can...the drums sound like they are kitchen appliances being banged together...the guitars so badly produced its like someone scratching on a classroom black board...

Opeth is like, the worst music ever made...
Yeah man, that's so true. And the vocalist and his satan worshipping, gawd...what a cockmaster.

Originally posted by DisTortorous
Otep does blow. I'd rather go to a tribute to Mark McGrath concert than listen to an Arch Enemy/Opeth wannabe group.

Other bands play, Manowar kills ! :lol:
No, Otep is not an Arch Enemy/Opeth wannabe group. It's nothing more than a bunch of suckers trying to sell their shit to wannabees (bzzz)... I'm sure I will never see them Live !!!
I listened to some Otep songs a few months ago (I'd better say that I tried to) : it just tastes like Slipknot - awesome neo-shit.
I hope nobody will ever mistake Opeth for Otep :mad: when I tell Opeth is clearly my favorite band (it's just a hope, I know...), cause these two bands can't be compared.

By the way, I saw Arch Enemy Live last week in Paris, and their show really impressed me : strong vocals (thanx Angela), talented guitar players (the Amott brothers don't have anything more to learn), and no mistake. I even heard that Bill Steer (Carcass) was in the audience. Now I long to see Opeth (my gods) in February.

Good lord you guys, this is a joke thread. I'm pretty sure everyone here would unanimously agree that Otep are horrible. Out of curiousity, I downloaded some of their stuff (when I saw this thread) just so I don't make the mistake of making an assumption based upon an generalization. I was kinda hoping for something interesting, since not too many nu-metal bands have girl singers. I was sorely disappointed. The singer might even have more effects on her voice than Al Jourgensen. Her growl is about the fakest I have ever heard and her singing voice is atrocious. The guitars, as someone has already pointed out, are simple power chords with simple and very repetetive patterns. The distortion and production are also rather ugly. Oh well.

Back to the point: this thread was just a joke guys.