Otep?

Lier in Wait

Old Spunker
Dec 1, 2002
www.themist.xrs.net
I just saw the Online Awards results and ....who the fuck is OTEP? OK, Opeth won... but why I have the impression that OTEP won too becouse they have simmilar to Opeth name lol

Otep is an "Egyptian" themed nu-metal band with a female singer. My theory on how Otep got so many votes is as followed...

Otep fans hear of a band that is supposedly amazing, with a similar name, Opeth. Otep fans visit Opeth.com to learn about this band which name sounds alot like their favorite band. Otep fans stumble across the Opeth forum, thus stumbling over UM.com. Otep fans see link for "Online Metal Awards", they vote accordingly, and tell all their freinds to do the same. All their friends vote for Otep in an attempt to prove to us underground metal heads, that they have a say in things as well. Otep, and Hot Topic win in numerous categories.

The End.

:Smokedev:

when i saw their name on the online awards' page, i went to their official website and listened to a couple of songs.
not only they're not my cup of tea, but if i had had a cup of tea before listening to their song, i would have seen my tea again... :yuk:

AH yes Otep...a friend mentioned them to me THINKING that it was OPETH...he was sorrily mistaken. I checked the band out a month or two ago and no, they really didn't impress me either. Funny how things get mixed up like that, eh?

the vocals are absolute crap, but the guitars are tuned to A, and they have pretty heavy stuff.....i personally would rather listen to NILE when I want to go to Egypt >)

I think the Otep site or message board or mailing list had a voting campaign, (register and vote... but never post!) and thus screwed up the results.

Otep sucks, but maybe they have a lot of fans. Who knows why, they are boring, repetitive crap.

I understand they have that Egyptian theme going on... but I've heard 3 songs and haven't heard one second of Egyptian sounding music.

listening to them now actually... and i don't mind this stuff, kinda cool as far as Nu Metal goes... now i know everyone here hates that though haha

As far as the egyptian thing goes... well shit... i don't hear it either, must be a rumor haha Not saying i live the band mind you, but they seem decent.

Otep is pretty cool for a NU-Metal band... I almost considered buying the CD, but then I reconsidered.... I call it coming to my senses. :lol:

I pooped green before, but not glass, so I wouldn't know. But for some reason... I agree with you!

Originally posted by Thortyir
"POET" and "ART SAVES"
i see... that's why on their site, in the "influences" part, they name baudelaire, verlaine and friends....
that doesn't save them from being a crappy band, though :p

Listened to a little. The only thing I don't like are the nu metal style riffs. The guitars are always tuned down really low and then they play some really boring riff. I just personally hate how that sounds. The drumming is nothing special but it's does its job. The non-clean vocals just sound like they use distortion. Oh, now she's rapping. I'll try to avoid this if possible. I don't have something against rap specifically, but it just puts the last ink in the nu metal picture. They're not different from any other band.

LOL ...my housemate likes pissing me off every so often by asking if i'm going to see Otep when they come to town and i always have the same pissed off response. He shall stop soon I'm sure, especially after I drag his ass to the SF Opeth show.
Also, what the hell is up with this Hot Topic business. Are people trying to be funny or something?