Metal Popularity

All there is in Belfast (as far as I know) is an HMV and Virgin Megastore (I'm not happy about buying from either though ... the in store price for loads of decent metal CDs is about £17/$30 US). There's a shop called Hector's House that have some decent stuff every now and then.

In Saskatoon (home) there's an A&B Sound and there was a CD Plus, both of which kicked serious ass. There wasn't much I couldn't find or have them order in. I still remember the wonderful day before CD Plus closed they had a $10 sale on all Century Media CDs ... Never been so happy going broke before :D

In my neck of woods (Boston, MA), Newbury Comics has a decent metal section with a wide variety of metal choices. In addition, there are several local stores that cater to the metal scene.

I live in a small place in Norway.
And it's bad here. They have Ghost Reveries, and that's it.
But I don't want them to have a lot of Opeth, because I think it's getting more and more "out to the people" and not the undergroundband it was.

I actually bought a Immortal record today, but it's pretty thin up here..

Shakakan said:
But I don't want them to have a lot of Opeth, because I think it's getting more and more "out to the people" and not the undergroundband it was.

God that's so lame. Man I wish when I first wanted an Opeth cd years ago no one had it. Maybe they should put out no albums and then they can be really underground. That would be so sweet.:err:

I live in Copenhagen. The capital of Denmark. Since Al most no one listens to Metal in Denmark they have a very slim selection of Metal in the music stores. They have one store that has a half decent selection and one real metal store called Sex Beat Records, but I think it's pretty expensive.

I buy a lot of my shit online

Illnath said:
I live in Copenhagen. The capital of Denmark. Since Al most no one listens to Metal in Denmark they have a very slim selection of Metal in the music stores. They have one store that has a half decent selection and one real metal store called Sex Beat Records, but I think it's pretty expensive.

I buy a lot of my shit online
Really? A family member of mine was there very recently and found a metal store (didn't sound like the prices were horribly unreasonable), and picked me up a copy of Katatonia's Brave Yester Days at Fona(?) Though I suppose if you're used to buying CDs online pretty much everything seems expensive.

Autumnal said:
God that's so lame. Man I wish when I first wanted an Opeth cd years ago no one had it. Maybe they should put out no albums and then they can be really underground. That would be so sweet.:err:

That's not what I meant.
It's just that now, a lot of people here think they are so "hard" since they like Hope Leaves and so on. The fact that they can listen to Opeth. And they go crazy for them.
Of course, it's good for the band so sell records (!) but I just don't like it when people get say they like their music, "accept from the growling off course, that's just bad, but I'm a metalhead!!"
Belive me, the people here are like that.
But people like diffrent music I guess..

FUBAR said:
Your so lucky that you have a whole store devoted to metal, I wish the UK had one of those

tis a good store, too. you can find anything there, from extreme norwegian black metal to prog, doom to power, its all there! prices arent too bad either, a little bit more expensive of course, because theyre all imports. plus, theres quite a good range of shirts, and then badges, posters, vinyls and plenty of shit. good place, that. check out their catalogue at www.metalmayhem.com.au and see why melbourne owns.

but apart from that theres plenty of metal in melbourne. theres another shop on the s ame street, called smoke dreams, which used to have a good selection of metal downstairs, but apparently thats a tattoo studio now.. i dunno.. i havent been in there for years. but apparently theres a few other metal stores in the city, just never found them.

but locally, any jb hi fi has a decent metal section. mainly well known bands, but still stocking some good stuff, and they can order in a good deal. i bought all my opeth albums as well as lamentations from jb, as the city's a 45 min train ride from my joint.

all in all though, melbournes pretty decent for metal.

Khayman666 said:
Really? A family member of mine was there very recently and found a metal store (didn't sound like the prices were horribly unreasonable), and picked me up a copy of Katatonia's Brave Yester Days at Fona(?) Though I suppose if you're used to buying CDs online pretty much everything seems expensive.

Yeah that would be Fona 2000. They do have some great offers. However it is only a few music stores in Copenhagen that even has a decent metal section.:cry: