Opinions on band popularity

NicodemiX said:
The only thing that bothers me about band popularity is that people who listen to something just because they think its the cool thing to do, and they just don't get the underlying ideology, philosophy or message presented by the music. Its really disgusting to see kids running around wearing Mjolonir pendants just because they listen to Amon Amarth, while the kids themselves have little to no knowledge of the workings of the Aasatru. To put it in prospective for those who don't understand: Its like wearing a person who wears a cross without ever having read a bible in their life.

You are very right Matt, its a problem. Tee also makes a good point. There are thousands of people like that. And Mah, the comment wasn't directly aimed at you or anything, but if you haven't seen this in other people, look more closely.

haha yeah, the Christian analogy is a bad one, since its largely true.

Mah: The statement wasn't targeted specifically at you or anyone else for that matter. It wasn't a personal attack against you, I can't see why you might percieve it that way.

IOfTheStorm:
mouse.gif
back at you.

IOfTheStorm said:
All People Who Wear The Egyptian Cross As A Necklace, Must Believe In Isis And Osiris

No, but it would help if they knew a thing or two about the symbol instead of just what it stood for. I could say "The cross is where jesus died, cool" and wear it, and that is fucking ridiculous.

"Omg lol this looks cool k haha"

neal said:
as much as i get anoyed when people look at my old colony (in flames) tshirt and ask me if i went to the slipknot show last month, i dont think its totally bad that some formerly undergound bands get more comercial and more popular. if some slipknot fan likes the new in flames record, chances are good he might check out their older shit and that might lead him to other more underground bands and then all the sudden he likes a bunch of obscure shit that he never would have known about if some bands didnt become 'sellouts'. chances are just as good that they'll continue to be idiots and only listen to crap, but a few kids might see the light and ditch all that mallmetal shit. either way, i dont really hold any animosity towards a band that goes more mainstreem, i usually just stop getting their new albums and going to see them. no big loss. plenty of angsty teenagers will gladly take my place.
said well, i second

No, but it would help if they knew a thing or two about the symbol instead of just what it stood
How it would help? Who it would help? ... The world needs help
I could say "The cross is where jesus died, cool" and wear it, and that is fucking ridiculous.
Its not ridiculus. You may wear something just because you like its shape, or its carvings. The Mjolnir is very beautiful and you can wear it just because you like the way it looks.
But then you may face the wrath of true vikings like Nicodemix

shhhhh

I'm aiming at the croud that takes it a step further and pretends to embrace what the symbol may mean. I'm not trying to start a battle, I'm just putting out my two cents here...

Nico and I have our opinions, voice your own but do not mock us.

dead6skin6mask6 said:
all people that listen to metal MUST worship satan

:err:

kind of reminds me of christians pressuring and forcing people to believe in something

how bout letting people believe whatever they want?

yeah but it's still a common characteristic among metalheads that bugs the hell out of me

I mean look at Agalloch...they're self proclaimed Pantheists...not everything has to be Satan

NicodemiX said:
The only thing that bothers me about band popularity is that people who listen to something just because they think its the cool thing to do, and they just don't get the underlying ideology, philosophy or message presented by the music. Its really disgusting to see kids running around wearing Mjolonir pendants just because they listen to Amon Amarth, while the kids themselves have little to no knowledge of the workings of the Aasatru. To put it in prospective for those who don't understand: Its like wearing a person who wears a cross without ever having read a bible in their life.

That's exactly what I was trying to get at.

IOfTheStorm:

I'm not claiming to be an Aasatruar but I do have a problem with people who go listen to a few "viking metal" CDs and then all of a sudden emulate their idols because they think its the cool thing to do. Its a problem not just limited to this one instance, but in youth cultures in general. I chose this as an example because it was one that Marksveld and I were discussing yesterday and it seemed relevant to the topic and it was fresh in my mind. It was also a good example because it represented a lack of respect to a culture as a result of exploitation by ignorant kids who don't have a clue of what they're getting into, much like a young disillusioned youth might get drawn into skinhead cultures praising the swastika, while doing so without knowledge of the history of that symbol (the sunwheel, an ancient aryan solar symbol) brings disrespect and unwanted associations to that symbol which was held in a sacred context before it was abused as a political symbol.

Now, you could take my opinions with a grain of salt and tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about or I'm a stupid teenager so what would know on this topic, but I don't really care about what you think. Fuck you.

Mah: The statement wasn't targeted specifically at you or anyone else for that matter. It wasn't a personal attack against you, I can't see why you might percieve it that way.
i know Matt..i know...but not all people who run around with mjolnir pendants are just jumping on the bandwagon of viking metal you know..thats what i was pointing out...i mean ive never seen anyone running around like that....i guess its just NEVER happened around here...

dead6skin6mask6 said:
all people that listen to metal MUST worship satan

That's silly. Its only metal musicians who must swear allegiance to the Prince of Lies if they want to be in any way successful or able to play an instrument past a mediocre level. Why, you can't even attempt sweep arpeggios without at least sacrificing a few animals and if you want to do them accross 6 or 7 strings... its not pretty.