Opeths chemical influences?

papaloidflook

New Metal Member
Apr 1, 2003
Easy people...
since all thought and physical behaviour is dependant and the result of biochemical processes in our bodies, i wonder if mikael´s songwriting achievements are due to the following:

depression (im sure hes been depressed before who the fuck hasnt)
dope (hallucinogens,opiates,anaesthetics, stimulants etc)
alcohol (obviously he drinks who the fuck doesnt)
music theory (systematic inclusion of notes appear
throughout his tunes)

depression
when people fall into mild or hardcore depression there body is flooding itself with its own natural dope (similar to morphine) to make them feel happeir so they can get on with life, which means if he became depressed and then picked up his axe, whatever he plays next dopewill be influenced by his hit.

dope
we already know his influences have used drugs so he has been indirectly effected by dope even if he hasnt gone and pàrted with his hard earned cash for some. if opeth were a drug it would be Opium for sure; beautiful and hypnotizing and embracing, which with its unique flavour and scent, subtly propels you into twilight sleep.

alcohol
is a depressant...

music theory
all artists have been known to cut and paste shit from their influences and the only reason we think something is new and unique is because we havent heard it before but it doesnt mean that it never existed before. where do the patterns and melodies we hear hail from? textbooks, snippets of other poeples music, or pure ingenious creativity.
if the latter is the case then it is dependant on the previous;depression and dope.

need opinions which have foundations based on fact please....

Half the chords (well, not half) Opeth use in their songs DON'T EXIST. Remember what Mikael said? People are like, "Dude, that sounds like s***." And they're like, "We know." They're about the sound. Academically, they know little when it comes to music... I don't think they can read actual music, and stuff, but they know all the terms. Mikael and Peter just happen to be great guitarists as well. I think they're some of the best out there... I don't think it's dope or alchohol. Mikael talks about alchohol like he drinks for whatever reason... dope? I don't think Mikael does any drugs... He just doesn't seem like he would. And depression, yes. Look at all the pictures of the recording of Damnation. He looks like he was just crying alot, and he's all red in the face. I think it's because his grandma died... I feel like Hope Leaves was built around that happening.

Actually I think it´s the influences that has made Opeth such a great band. Some of their major influences are Morbid Angel, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Iron Maiden and of course Porcupine Tree. I know people are gonna say that this is a smiplistic way to put it, and of course Opeth doesn´t lack any musical skills, nor song writing skill, but somehow their unique style makes a little more sense, when considering their influences.

Actually, all the chords Opeth use DO EXIST, as otherwise you wouldn't actually be hearing them :p. Theoretically those chords can be classified aswell... going by theory you can pretty much label everything, that's the whole point of it, it was meant to encompass everything containing the 12 tones.

There are of course subliminal variables that affect songwriters, mainly things like what emotions they're experiencing at the given time... but I doubt that depression or such negative emotions immediately give a person greater overall creativity - they merely affect the tonal progressions that they may choose to write, and coincidentally those depression-inspired progressions may strike a chord (no pun intended) with people and end up being successful.

As far as originality in Opeth's music goes... well, Mikael rips ALOT of things off from other bands, but he incorporates those ideas in such ways that they seem new and genuine. I always wondered what made Opeth so unique... and recently I've found out... they're just getting the best of all music and blending it together to make their own style.

Moonlapse speaks the truth.

Check your PMs too.

@ papaloidflook, obviously depression helps, and after all writing is about emotion. But I read somehwere in an interview with Peter that they never though Sweden was as inspirational a place as it's said to be (you know, always winter, dark, foggy, blah blah).

As far as alcohol and drugs go, I think it's stupid to write while under the influence. I want to be able to relive an emotion without needing drugs and alcohol. In other words, if I write something here while I'm on THC the next day the emotion will be completely unmemorable to me. On the other hand, you do get some funny songs out of it, just not serious ones (I Am the Walrus anyone?)

And Moonlapse pretty much covered the music theory bit.

The question is though, have they ever written for Opeth while under the influence? Something tells me its mainly just a recreational thing for them, seperate from the music. But who am I to know.

the man himself has admitted to using riffs from 70´s prog rock and morbid angel and death for rhythm section. rhythym section (drums and bass) during soft vocals are 70´s prog rock and during dark evil vocals it is sick double bass drumming like morbid angel etc.
however, there are also physiological factors effecting the results of his songrwriting. if the right hand side of his brain is dominant then he is visually, sonically and thus creatively more fruitful.
at the end of the day we all admire and respect miakels ahcievements (his ghostly music made monumental impact on my life), but in order to categorise him as musical prodigy or just hard working musician who systematically devises everything, we need to know more about him physically and mentally. how much theory he actually knows ( artists do claim to put hardly any effort in writing tunes when really they are in room hacking away with their axe or reading theory)
we need to know this so we too can contribute as significantly as he and opeth have. he blatantly has formulae. so he must share these formuale with us!!!! pleeeeeeeeeease!!!!! for criiiimmmboooooo!!!! hahaha

Hmmmm.....drugs aren't cool. Mind altering substances don't interest me. Many artists of all sorts use or have used various substances. It seems to contribute to creativity. But I know I can never do that.