Hip hop or reggae influences in opeth

I think some of mikes most interesting phrasings while growling have a rap-like rhythm to them. Growl is generally monotonous, so I think fiddleing with the groove in the phrasing is a necessity. I'm not big on hiphop or anything, but good grooves are good groves. Some of u should just put the shield down, relax, and enjoy the awsomeness that is music.

Sorry, but I can find no basis for calling Marley the "most influental artist of the 20st century". There are far too many better candidates.

Anyway, I'd like to see a Slim Shady/Akerfelft duo.

Name one other artist who single handedly defines a whole genre of music? (as well as a religious movement but thats beside the point)

I think it is safe to say there is no hip hop or reggae influence in Opeth's music and doubt there every will be. Making an arguement that there is is just stretching it more than a bit (but a lot of people's theorizin' you could almost link anything to anything else if you tried hard enough) and I'm not saying that either of those genres are rubbish in anyway, I just don't want them mixed in with my heavy metal.

I think it is safe to say there is no hip hop or reggae influence in Opeth's music and doubt there every will be. Making an arguement that there is is just stretching it more than a bit (but a lot of people's theorizin' you could almost link anything to anything else if you tried hard enough) and I'm not saying that either of those genres are rubbish in anyway, I just don't want them mixed in with my heavy metal.

Well, Opeth's and 50 Cent's music can be represented as combinations of sine and cosine waves on a graph...

"yo yo motherfucker black rose immortal oh yeah ghost of perdition dude lets go take a ride in blackwater park ! " :p

Rap with Opeth would be something like this.

Well, Opeth's and 50 Cent's music can be represented as combinations of sine and cosine waves on a graph...

Sine_Cosine_Graph.png

So.. you mean a fairly noticable overlap? :Smokin:

Closure outro and a part of Deliverance soundsa bit like Reggaeton at least sounds good.....
....but the real reggaeton is nasty , it sucks !!!

For Example this M***F**** called Daddy yankee!! :puke:

Last edited by a moderator:
and the mere mention of Perdition City is fuckin excellent, despite it being totally different to anything in this topic.

Perdition City is ace, but really, the only track you could call 'trip hop' is the last track, the rest is obviously ambient. And besides, trip hop is a fair way away from hip hop.

I dont expect to hear any of those influences in Opeth, ever. However, I try very hard to be open to all musical genres and hip hop/rap/r&b/reggae etc. etc. all have their merits. A majority of the artists on the top of these genres suck, just like with every style of music. But there are definitely some hip hop artists that bring quality to my musical library, just as Opeth. If Opeth were to experiment in these genres, it would certainly have to be in an instrumental fashion, as the vocal adjustment would be incredibly funny to listen to. I think its possible though.

this is easily one of the most 100% idiocy-packed threads in the history of this forum, nay, the entire internet