a PHD in hip hop?

genocide roach

DOOOOOOOOOOM
Aug 18, 2002
so i was watching fox news this morning, and they were doing some commentary piece, and one of the guests was titled as a hip hop scholar. he even had a phd and called himself doctor...

and then i find this http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2007/01/09_hiphop.shtml

Hip-hop is the primary language students bring with them to school," said Turner, a core member of the Hip-Hop Studies Working Group. "To ignore the language and the existence of hip-hop culture altogether is a failure to provide equal education under the law."

lets call it what it is, a degree in being black. this is completly absurd! changing the language of which classes are taught is insane and will ruin students future if they think the way they speak is acceptable. they will be doomed to a life of flipping burgers and mopping floors, because no corporation is going to hire an exec, or even a sale guy, who speaks like that.

if people can get a degree in hip hop, i want my phd in metalogy! im sure we could design a course in metal music and culture.
~gR~

Why can't these people just enrol in music school? Or if they're interested in ebonics, linguistics school. There are tons of these sorts courses around the country. I don't see why there has to be a separate hip-hop degree for racial equality.

The market should fix it eventually. What the hell are you going to do with that degree?

Why can't these people just enrol in music school? Or if they're interested in ebonics, linguistics school. There are tons of these sorts courses around the country. I don't see why there has to be a separate hip-hop degree for racial equality.

equality? it has nothing todo with equality. these people are looking to be more than equal. thats the problem with affirmative action these days. they arent looking to be equal, theyre looking for a cheap way to get special treatment. and this degree is no different
~gR~

The market should fix it eventually. What the hell are you going to do with that degree?

And who would take that kind of degree seriously anyway? Can you imagine telling someone you want to work for that you got a degree in hip-hop? They'd probably just burst out laughing.

equality? it has nothing todo with equality. these people are looking to be more than equal. thats the problem with affirmative action these days. they arent looking to be equal, theyre looking for a cheap way to get special treatment. and this degree is no different
~gR~

I don't see how the availability of that degree is necessarily going to result in "special treatment". There are already other bullshit majors out there, such as women's studies or African-American studies, that people major in just for the purpose of getting a degree.

gun_2_head.jpg

Nothing gives pride to academia as a whole like a dissertation based on the astute musings of a gangst'a-bitches milkshake.

Dr. Cent, we all owe you one fo' sho'.

Head-Shot.gif

if people can get a degree in hip hop, i want my phd in metalogy! im sure we could design a course in metal music and culture.
~gR~

Actually, that degree in metal isn't unheard of. We have at least one PhD student here doing his research on the history of metal. He's in either the history department or the music department, and I suspect he will go on to teach some specialized class about it at some prestigious university.

Also, black metal interests the sociologists; we recently had a book go through the press here by a professor at some university who was analyzing the history of black metal in this respect.

I wonder which course teaches you how to manufacture and distribute crack? I can't wait to sign up. fo shizzle my nizzle.