a PHD in hip hop?

anyone who thinks african-american urban dialect is "speaking incorrectly" is a fucking idiot. do you think the same of all creole forms of english? can you justify that decision being rooted in rational thought rather than racism? ebonics is a viable dialect with its own internally-consistent grammatical rules that is the first language of a sizable minority of americans, and furthermore it's directly applicable to the field they're studying. are you going to argue that french literature classes should be taught in english, too?

anyways, yeah the job prospects probably aren't great for this degree, but thankfully nobody ever said academia has to be about forcing people into regular jobs. this is totally comparable to a degree in art history or the study of classical music; i don't see you guys complaining about those.

you are justifying uneducated retards who can't speak proper english?

ok i just read the article you linked and nowhere does it mention a phd

Michael Barnes, a doctoral student in sociology, whose Ph.D. dissertation is titled "Can't Fake the Realness: Race, Place and the Construction of Authenticity in Hip-Hop DJ Culture.

or even a degree in hiphop

The effort is designed to provide support for scholars of hip-hop, to harness the research taking place across campus and, some hope, to eventually establish a formal hip-hop studies program.

Michael Barnes, a doctoral student in sociology, whose Ph.D. dissertation is titled "Can't Fake the Realness: Race, Place and the Construction of Authenticity in Hip-Hop DJ Culture.

ok so his phd isnt in hiphop...

The effort is designed to provide support for scholars of hip-hop, to harness the research taking place across campus and, some hope, to eventually establish a formal hip-hop studies program.

but it doesnt currently exist which he was claiming

if you think speaking dialect is an indication of a lack of intelligence or means you "can't speak proper english" you are fucking retarded

ebonics and the whole black mainstream gangster culture is the epitome of "fucking retarded". When having a "gat" is a bigger indicator of your worth as a man than having a college degree, it's pretty easy to see why mainstream blacks are in such a shitty position here in the US.

what the hell does that have to do with a dialect that has existed for generations :/

no matter how much you might like hip hop youre pretty blatantly a fucking racist so whatever

LOL chris rock and many other prominent blacks hold similar opinions to me (watch rock's standup where he talks up about how wealthy black rappers and basketball players waste money on nonsense like gold and jewelry, instead of actually investing to help uplift the black community). I guess they are racist as well. :rolleyes:

eh I don't really mind if blacks speak in slang I suppose, it is the absolutely fucking retarded mainstream gangster culture that I despise.

LOL chris rock and many other prominent blacks hold similar opinions to me (watch rock's standup where he talks up about how wealthy black rappers and basketball players waste money on nonsense like gold and jewelry, instead of actually investing to help uplift the black community). I guess they are racist as well. :rolleyes:

eh I don't really mind if blacks speak in slang I suppose, it is the absolutely fucking retarded mainstream gangster culture that I despise.

I'm not speaking for rappers, but the majority of athletes, regardless of race, have their own/invest a shit ton money into charities of all kinds. Of course they waste money on stupid shit, who wouldn't? They're fucking rich!

Besides, I highly doubt you are sharing the same views as these prominent blacks. You didn't really specify what you believe in that Chris Rock has in common, moreso that you watched his comedy show and were inclined to agree with whatever nonsense he was spouting off. The thing is though, if you actually believe what a comedian says like Chris Rock, to take it to heart and think he is serious on some level and actually believes in such, then you have problems. Unless it's George Carlin. Other than that, Chris Rock's whole niche is racism. Outside of that, he has no gimic.

anyone who thinks african-american urban dialect is "speaking incorrectly" is a fucking idiot. do you think the same of all creole forms of english? can you justify that decision being rooted in rational thought rather than racism? ebonics is a viable dialect with its own internally-consistent grammatical rules that is the first language of a sizable minority of americans, and furthermore it's directly applicable to the field they're studying. are you going to argue that french literature classes should be taught in english, too?

anyways, yeah the job prospects probably aren't great for this degree, but thankfully nobody ever said academia has to be about forcing people into regular jobs. this is totally comparable to a degree in art history or the study of classical music; i don't see you guys complaining about those.

I fully endorse this post.

You have quite a good point here. After all, many modern languages (Italian, Spanish, Modern Greek, and even English) are bastardizations and simplifications of more complex Ancient Languages (Latin, Ancient Greek, etc.). It would be absurd to expect the continued changes in the lanugages to cease. Besides, ebonics does, in fact, have a particular grammar that is repeated and maintained in its speakers. Therefore, they are speaking their language correctly. This does not change the fact that its speakers are uneducated and sound as such, but their grammar in the language they grew up hearing is no worse than your grammar in yours. They should speak proper English, if they would like to be taken seriously, and many of them alternate between the two depending on who they are speaking to.

ok i just read the article you linked and nowhere does it mention a phd or even a degree in hiphop, and when it said "Hip-hop is the primary language students bring with them to school" it pretty fucking clearly doesnt literally mean actual spoken/written language, genocide roach you are a fucking retard

but the guy who was being interviewed on tv, who was the entire inspiration for this thread, DID have the degree. so kindly remove your head from your ass, wipe the shit out of your eyes, and read the entire post. k, thnx!
~gR~

ebonics isnt a dialect. its people who decided to make up their own language instead of paying attention in school. and then some of those ignorant apes got famous and it became "acceptable" in the eyes of young black people and stupid white kids who are struggling with their own image.

creole is completly different. like afrikaans, its the mixing of 2 real languages. ebonics is english mixed with what? ignorance. where is the influence for the word shizzle? or crunk? where is the logical step from shit to shizzle?

ebonics is just like chat typing. 1t meh mk u l00k k00l, bt 1ts jst st00p1d & thr 1z n0 resun 2 jst1fI 1t!
~gR~

The funniest part of that post is that you use the bastardization of the word "shit" as an example.

Someone stop them from destroying our swear words noooooooooooo