a PHD in hip hop?

What are you talking about Dave? I don't know anyone who "makes fun" of people like that. If anything, they are more respected for doing such. Also, what the hell do you know about mainstream street culture involving black people?

it happens all the fucking time, idiot.

Why do you think black kids think their only option is playing basketball or rapping, instead of going to college and actually doing something with their lives? it's this mainstream black culture where you are seen as a nerd and a nobody for taking an interest in education.

Wires & Waves is correct about the ebonics thing and the whole issue of dialects in general. Anybody with an iota of knowledge of linguistics knows this.

it happens all the fucking time, idiot.

Why do you think black kids think their only option is playing basketball or rapping, instead of going to college and actually doing something with their lives? it's this mainstream black culture where you are seen as a nerd and a nobody for taking an interest in education.

I'm gonna take a guess here and say you know all of what, 5 black guys? I work in "the hood" of Indianapolis. I see all kinds of people come and go. Alot of the stereotypical "thugs" but moreso I see alot of them knowing that in order to get out of the shithole hood they live in, education is the way to go. Sure alot of them have aspirations of being rappers, or play sports, I mean black people are good at them for crying out loud. But what the fuck is wrong with that? When I was a kid, I dreamt about being a pro football player. And once I got more into music, I wanted to be a drummer for a really popular band. I used to despise the thought of college. I thought it was all bullshit. But it's just being naive. Assuming you know what that word means, it's not necessarily their fault, you ass. Go educate yourself on shit like this a little better. All you are doing is throwing a bunch of dim-witted generalities about a race, which could be called "racist" because you don't know jack about the subject.

here is where i get stuck. ebonics doesnt have any relation to english. various forms of english still have english at the core and you can draw links between the two. for example yall= you all, or aint = are not. but where is the english link for crunk? if we can draw links back to english, maybe i will understand better.

i still wont change my opinion on the culture, but atleast i'll understand the "language"
~gR~

yea, I suppose you are right.

I just despise this mainstream street culture where black people are called out as "acting white" or being "nerds" when they take a passionate interest in better themselves by education. Do you not agree that this is absurd?

yeah, theyre called carltons. its pretty stupid though. its the same as the jock picking on the mathelete (sp?) in high school
~gR~

hey, if i'm wrong, then give me examples. every time i ask for examples you just throw insults. maybe you dont know what youre talking about?
~gR~

here is where i get stuck. ebonics doesnt have any relation to english. various forms of english still have english at the core and you can draw links between the two. for example yall= you all, or aint = are not. but where is the english link for crunk? if we can draw links back to english, maybe i will understand better.

i still wont change my opinion on the culture, but atleast i'll understand the "language"
~gR~

Even if there weren't any relation between ebonics and "real" English why would that matter to you?