Hip-hop.

CAIRATH said:
I like how you put Gangstarr and Mos Def as "underground" and then put Wu-Tang Clan and Paris as gangsta rap. Do you ever have any idea of what you're talking about?
I put Wutang and Paris as gangsta rap because they have gangsta themes, although Wutang is more like East Coast Rap. And Paris is underground but is essentialy a Gangsta rapper, also Gang Starr despite the name are definitely not gangsta rap.

Btw, forgot to add:

Eric B. and Rakim
Pete Rock and CL Smooth
file under: "Classic East Coast Hip-Hop"

lol all those gangsta rappers are posers(2pac being the biggest of em all)...listen to Brotha Lynch hung.Season of Da Siccness is the best gangsta rap I ever heard.

Bay area rap slays all.

btw its sad no1 mentioned Biggie Smalls

The Metal heart of Mr Akerfeldt tells me that he strongly disaprove this thread.

Favourite and most musical Mcs :

Jay Z
Notorious BIG

The Only two rappers (maybe not but the are famous for that ) that never write their lyrics.

And the way their flow grooves with the music is awesome.

Favourise Rap CDs : Dr Dre 2001 (those beats can make Manowar members shake their booty)
Jay Z : The Blueprint

metal_wrath said:
Here is a list of underground hip-hop I would recommend, and also some 'gangsta' rap.

Underground Hip-Hop:
Aesop Rock
Hieogrlyphics
Blackstar (Mos Def + Talib Kweli)
Mos Def, Talib Kweli solo stuff
Gang Starr

Gangsta' Rap:
Mobb Deep
2pac
Nas
Smif-n-wessun
Black Moon
Bone Thugs
Wu-Tang Clan
B.G.
UGK
Paris

Aesop Rock is the only decent mention on that list, and the rest of your 'underground hiphop' section isnt even underground hiphop. I would even seriously think about considering Aesop as underground these days too, so basically that's a stupid list.
Oh yeah and let's not talk about the Gangster Rap section because those named artists are what give hiphop a shit rep.

moonlapse_vertigo said:
Jurassic 5 is pretty good.

I don't like: the annyoing way rappers talk("sing")/lyrical content/egotism in Hip Hop.
I don't like the vast majority of the music they rap to. I dislike the "rap" culture, though living in America, I understand where it comes from.
From Maine to Tennessee its all the same bro.
I saw Jurassic 5 today. They are the best I have heard in a while, but they don't entirely avoid the cliches of rap.

Madvillain=:cool:

EveOfDarkness said:
hey, what do you all think of Jedi Mind Tricks?

ive only heard a little bit of them, but they are suppose to be pretty big in the hip hop underground and their producer is pretty revered. I loved his beats on the Canibus "Rip the Jacker" album.

Jedi Minds are great check out their "Violent By Design" album, classic.

one of my favorite current rappers is "Immortal Technique" specially on the track "Dance with the Devil"

I like older N.W.A., Bone thugs, and such also.

i can imagine there must be something okay that would suite my taste since there´s portishead (triphop) that is a lot more similar to hiphop than any other kind of music... i just have never heard anything I would like in hiphop, my view of hiphop is that it is more about the lyrics and image than...musicallity... anyway, i am not drawing any conclusions, it´s just how i personally feel... if someone disagrees, teach me.

NineFeetUnderground said:
theres quite a bit of legitimate, admirable and inspiring hip hop out there. it just wont be anything you see on MTV. im not the worlds biggest fan, but only an idiot would disregard the genre entirely with no respect.

Great point mate.

I have to say, even though I dont listen to it as much these days, I'm a big fan of Drum n Bass and dark Chicago/Detriot/English techno.

As fas as hip-hop goes, not a big fan, but I do love the job James Lavelle did back on Cream Live Two (approx 1994, now deleted) starting off with old school hip-hop and ending the set on a banging atmospheric jungle track! Fucking spectacular.

HaloPhenomenon said:
i can imagine there must be something okay that would suite my taste since there´s portishead (triphop)

I *love* Portishead. Awesome music.

Scourge of Malice said:
Wu-Tang and Bone Thugs are far from giving hip hop a shit rep, they're a couple of the best!

maybe not bone thugs.. but wu tang? ...

daz436 said:
Aesop Rock is the only decent mention on that list, and the rest of your 'underground hiphop' section isnt even underground hiphop. I would even seriously think about considering Aesop as underground these days too, so basically that's a stupid list.
Oh yeah and let's not talk about the Gangster Rap section because those named artists are what give hiphop a shit rep.

ex: prototypical obnoxious backpacker, probably scared of black people

youre so white

spectacular: wake up, hiphop has evolved into a shallow direction, there surely is a musical sophisticated procent in there...but i have a hard time believing on that rap artists use all their sparetime for music rather than writing a lyric and rapping it over a beat from time to time, most rap fans have the music as something they can identify with. it is more about the lyrics and the image for them wich necessarily isn´t a bad thing for people who like dancing and having it as background music...still subjective. but that is the main reason not many hiphop fans will be found in an opeth forum, it´s not because opeth fans are too white and scared of black people.

yes but a band like blackstar is hardly guilty of those things nor demonstrably inferior to something like aesop rock, and guys like 2pac, nas, and wu-tang, while they may have embraced some aspects of the music industry and stardom that we find unsavory, can't be denied their importance in the history of hip-hop. so all i can conclude is that he just likes aes because hes a jewwww and therefore not black