Hip-hop.

i was recently on a Bone thugs binge and really took a liking to their earlier stuff (the Creepin' EP and E. 1999 Eternal, etc). i love their flow and triple time rhyming, their singing, everything. really good stuff.

i also realy like Wu Tang clan (anticipating Cuban Linx 2), 2pac, old Nas, Mobb Deep, that type of stuff.

looking foward to Dre's Detox but im kind of skeptical because of his involvement with 50 cent (yuck) and the like. but we'll see since Dre makes some great beats. His old stuff is awesome as well (NWA, Chronic, 2001, etc).

affinityband said:
Well i mean i got an album by a band called Rjd2 and that has some sounds that i would consider 'hip hop'.... I dunno really. If i like, i like it.

if you are thinking of the same RJD2 as me, he's a hiphop producer, not a band, but if its definately a band you are talking about all i can think of is that you may have some of his work with a rapper called Blueprint, although i've forgotten the name of the project.

i'm not a huge fan of it personally. but he has a decent following from what i hear.

FRUGiHOYi said:
There's plenty of good rap, but 99% of the shit on the radio/TV makes me sick :erk:

hiphop isnt just rap :erk:

affinityband said:
Hes a producer sure, but he does his own stuff. I have a mix cd my 'Hip hop' friend made me. as i havent seen his albums, but theres lots of singles. Its very very good.

I'll have to look into it then. I know he's a fantastic producer, up there with El-P and Blockhead imo (who your friend will no doubt be aware of), I just havnt had alot of interest in finding any of his own work. I will do soon, thanks.

daz436 said:
if you are thinking of the same RJD2 as me, he's a hiphop producer, not a band, but if its definately a band you are talking about all i can think of is that you may have some of his work with a rapper called Blueprint, although i've forgotten the name of the project.

i'm not a huge fan of it personally. but he has a decent following from what i hear.

hiphop isnt just rap :erk:
sorry, i dont know the difference

hey, what do you all think of Jedi Mind Tricks?

ive only heard a little bit of them, but they are suppose to be pretty big in the hip hop underground and their producer is pretty revered. I loved his beats on the Canibus "Rip the Jacker" album.

Not huge on the genre, but there are some quality artists out there, past and present. My favorites would probably have to be Beastie Boys and MF Doom (and his various projects and alter egos). My roommate is huge on (mostly underground) hip hop and hes played me tons of good stuff. Anyone who says its all crap needs to open up their fucking mind.

*And what I've heard of Jedi Mind Tricks is pretty awesome.

EveOfDarkness said:
i was recently on a Bone thugs binge and really took a liking to their earlier stuff (the Creepin' EP and E. 1999 Eternal, etc). i love their flow and triple time rhyming, their singing, everything. really good stuff.

i also realy like Wu Tang clan (anticipating Cuban Linx 2), 2pac, old Nas, Mobb Deep, that type of stuff.

looking foward to Dre's Detox but im kind of skeptical because of his involvement with 50 cent (yuck) and the like. but we'll see since Dre makes some great beats. His old stuff is awesome as well (NWA, Chronic, 2001, etc).

the bone thugs are on another level of harmonic rhyme and sophistication than just about any other rap crew going. definitely a group i have a lot of respect for.

Not a fan of JMT. It's all too .. i dunno.. immature maybe. It's like theyre trying to be a funny and even weirder version of early kool keith and it doesnt do anything for me.

I have respect for anyone who has the courage to let people listen to the music they make, but hiphop does not appeal to me at all. However, I still respect them for what they do.

I've avoided the genre for so long, I forgot all about the Bone Thugs.

I still enjoy the old gangsta shit like Dre, Snoop, Ghetto Boys, NWA, Eazy E & Ice Cube. Slightly more recent, yeah Wu Tang was cool, ODB had some decent mat'l, Method & Red did some good work.

Cypress Hill was another one I had lots of respect for. 'Hits from the Bong' will always be my smoking anthem.

My favorite of recent years, though he's been quiet (retired ???) lately is Jay-Z. He put together some great rhymes. Ludacris has some pretty funny shit too.

Hip-Hop has some decent songs floating around right now, but I don't know who the hell sings them. Yeah I'm surrounded by lots of people who listen to hip-hop & every now & then I get dragged out to a club. Maybe next time I'll wear an Opeth shirt :lol:

Here is a list of underground hip-hop I would recommend, and also some 'gangsta' rap.

Underground Hip-Hop:
Aesop Rock
Hieogrlyphics
Blackstar (Mos Def + Talib Kweli)
Mos Def, Talib Kweli solo stuff
Gang Starr (Duo of Guru and producer extraordinarre DJ Primier)

Gangsta' Rap:
Mobb Deep
2pac
Nas
Smif-n-wessun
Black Moon
Bone Thugs
Wu-Tang Clan
B.G.
UGK
Paris

I like how you put Gangstarr and Mos Def as "underground" and then put Wu-Tang Clan and Paris as gangsta rap. Do you ever have any idea of what you're talking about?