Hip Hop Beats...Recommendations?

JoshDRAH

Aug 6, 2007
I'm a death metal/grindcore nutjob, but I also have a love for (good) hip hop. I'm a huge fan of indie hop hop artists and groups like Atmosphere, Sage Francis, Cannibal Ox, MF Doom, Brother Ali, Aesop Rock, Wu Tang, and others. Me and some like-minded friends have decided to start up a fun hip hop group and make some songs. I'm just really having a hard time getting beats. I've tried the Fruity Loops route but its just too limited and I'd like something with some more freedom and options. What I really need most are hip hop drum and bass samples. The rhythm section is what I need most, and a good program to create/sample it in.

So if you guys know of any programs/packages that I could buy/download I would greatly appreciate it.

Seriously, if Fruity is too limited for hiphop, then you haven't put in enough time learning how to use it (if it's good enough for 9th Wonder, who has produced for Jay-Z, Little Brother, Jean Grae and Murs among others). It's a great program for that type of music.
Anyway, other suggestions would be reason or ableton live. Even better would be buying a MPC or a SP1200 and start sampling for real. Hiphopdrums and basslines are useally found on sixties soul records. Sample it, cut it up, loop it.
Have fun.

Seriously, if Fruity is too limited for hiphop, then you haven't put in enough time learning how to use it (if it's good enough for 9th Wonder, who has produced for Jay-Z, Little Brother, Jean Grae and Murs among others). It's a great program for that type of music.
Anyway, other suggestions would be reason or ableton live. Even better would be buying a MPC or a SP1200 and start sampling for real. Hiphopdrums and basslines are useally found on sixties soul records. Sample it, cut it up, loop it.
Have fun.

I know how to use it alright...I guess what I mean is I need more drums and bass. There is a very limited supply of them on the versions that I had, and its hard to make multiple beats from them without things starting to sound too similar. There wasnt much for a synth bass selection either. If I could just find a shit ton of different bass and drum samples I'd be happy.

Layer drum hits. Find kik/snr samples that compliment each other, can be up to 4 more but I find sometimes 2 will work. Find for example, a kick sample you like the bottom end of and one that you like the mid/high end of. Maybe it will take 3 or more. Then eq out what each sample doesn't need (if it needs it all), layer, maybe comp/distortion (if you like it, depends on the situation) and resample that as your kick. Layer "real" drum hits with drum machine samples is another way. It's an open market. Combine real hi hat patterns with machine sample.

You can also try and play the beats yourself without quantize on. Get a groovy loop going. Keep it "natural".

Bass, get a synth or maybe use a real one or layer them or any combination there of. Maybe get Trilian @ http://www.spectrasonics.net/instruments/trilian.php if you can afford it.

Sample, sample, sample.

Get to know the 808.

There is so many ways to go about this.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:headbang:

Just got this last week, and it's the most fun i've ever had with making beats, by a long shot.

Instant creativity boost.

Is that program pretty user friendly? Is it a stand alone program or do you have to run it in an alternate program like Nuendo or something?

find a good loop in a song. Chop it up. Drum beat. Programming drum beats for rap is garbage, the best hip hop uses loops. That's the original and best way of doing it in my opinion.

I know how to use it alright...I guess what I mean is I need more drums and bass. There is a very limited supply of them on the versions that I had, and its hard to make multiple beats from them without things starting to sound too similar. There wasnt much for a synth bass selection either. If I could just find a shit ton of different bass and drum samples I'd be happy.

You can add plugins on Fruity Loops as well, you know that right?? The build-in sounds are definitely not where it ends. Shouldn't be even where it starts, to be honest. :p

find a good loop in a song. Chop it up. Drum beat. Programming drum beats for rap is garbage, the best hip hop uses loops. That's the original and best way of doing it in my opinion.

You're aware though that they often er... SLICE those loops up and re-arrange the slices... riiight?