Hip Hop and Rap

AndICried

Pretentious asshole
I feel that I really have neglected intention to listen to as much varied music as I can, by not listening to much rap and hip hop at all.

The only two artists I'm a serious fan of are Jurassic Five and Dalek, so I was wondering if any of you (who know more about the genres) could suggest some groups/artists to listen to.

method man
redman
snoop dogg
d12
outkast
rza
tribe called quest
black sheep
dmx
de la soul
notorious B.I.G.
wu tang
lil kim

.... so many more

jurassic five is awesome. i thought dalek was decent when i saw them with isis, but not as amazing as everyone says.

eminem, MC paul barman (jokey but really good lyrics and rhymes), outkast (seriously), the roots (fucking awesome), mos def, ummm...more will come.

m. doughty also used to claim that soul coughing was a hip-hop band which isn't really true but i guess there's SOME truth to it; the later shit (especially el oso) is heavily beat-based.

and soul coughing is way fucking rad.

xfer said:
soul coughing is way fucking rad
absorrrutery!!

And I second the motion for Black Sheep. And there's another, like, UG hippidy-hop dude whose name's just on the tip o'my tongue... Fuck! Blackalicious, does that sound right?

oh, if you dig Dalek you definitely need to check out Techno Animal, Justin Broadrick from Godflesh's electronic/hip-hop project with Kevin Martin from God.

Tribe Called Quest are absolutly essential. The Roots need a place in there. I really like Dizzee Rascal. Outkast have been pretty consistent. Wu Tang Klan have a few good things out but you have to weed through some pretty crappy tunes in the process. RZA is definitly my favorite ex-WTC. I would recommend whole heartidly anything Adam F is associated with. I like british hip-hop a lot more than the both coast american ones actually...