Hip Hop and Rap

Talib Kweli, Aesop Rock, The Pharcyde, early Black Eyed Peas, KRS One, Company Flow(best rap band IMO), Dilated Peoples, Nas...

As you can see I'm all about old school/alt rap :)

I like that laid back feeling they make :)

poz

Jurassic 5 is probably the only non-Beastie Boys rap/hip-hop CD that I own. The Roots are really good though.

I'm going to wholly endorse the over-looked Nas, especially the song "One Mic" which has been on rotation, much to The Dope's chagrin.

I just picked up the new Non Phixion - Green CD/DVD yesterday. Pretty neat stuff vocally/lyrically, and with a nifty stripped-down-yet-kinda-polished-sounding production.

also check out Saul Williams (fucking AWESOME lyrics)

I'd say first check out Low End Theory and Midnight Marauders by A Tribe Called Quest. AMazing.

Then I'd recommend getting some Del. Both SIdes of the Brain and then Deltron 3030.

Dr. Octagon is AWESOME!!

Black Star with Mos Def and Talid Kweli.

Brandon

haha yeah Dr. Octagon! i'm also down with Dilated Peoples. and i liked Black Eyed Peas a lot in the old days, and the first time i heard that PEOPLE LIVIN PEOPLE DYIN song on the the radio i rushed to my livejournal and took Black Eyed Peas off my interests list because i could not possibly stand to be associated with a band that would create such horrible music.

i also was kind of anti-Nas but i think the minx put a Nas song on my mix which is really good! so i will tentatively endorse him now.

beastie boys = TEH SUX.

My friend is making me go with him to go see Jurassic five on may 1, because I listen to no rap/hip hop whatsoever, so he's trying to prove that I'm missing out on some stuff, I seriously hope he's right!

Jurassic Five is awesome. I would say they're the best hip-hop group around today; I thought the Roots were, but I saw them recently and their notoriously awesome live show was only okay. Granted, it was a college show...

You could also check out Ozomatli. Spanish rock-type music, mostly, but with some rapped parts done by Jurassic Five's Charlie Tuna (he was in Ozomatli before J5 came around).

el-p
mr. lif
company flow
pretty much any def jux
eyedea
doseone
aesop rock
sole
pretty much any anticon
gangstarr
third sight

all i can think of now, everyone else mentioned others

xfer, you gotta be lovin 'NY state of mind' by nas, is that the song minx put on your mix?

yeah my brother used to listen to black eyed peas, I thought some of that stuff was all right, but after their new stuff everyone I know that used to listen to them has stopped

agreed.

oh yeah Mr. Lif is good too! i need to dig out some hiphop stuff i haven't listened to in ages.

i dunno DJ, i'll listen to it again and see if i can make out the lyrics. she won't reveal the track list until she gets her computer set up at her new house. :(

i do not dig the new clouddead. i adore old clouddead. this is why i cannot break into the new clouddead. perhaps repeated listens will turn me. deltron 3030!!! if you haven't heard this album, go hang yourself.