Hip-hop.

Nov 21, 2005
Scotland
www.myspace.com
Inspired by a comment made by Metal_Wrath (of all people), I have decided to make a thread about hip-hop music. Now, I am aware that this is a metal forum, and therefore there will be a large number of people here who don't appreciate this sort of music. Which is fine, but if you are one of those people, please don't clog up this thread with 'hip-hop is gay' or 'Mikael says " I Hate Hip Hop" rofl hahaha' etc. If you don't like it, feel free to say so, but please explain exactly why the music doesn't appeal to you.

And to anyone who DOES appreciate it (like I do), what is it that you like about Hip-Hop? Any favourite MC's? DJ's? Beatboxers? Producers? I'm curious to see what other fans of both metal and Hip-Hop think.

hip-hop is gay

it seriously is, but sometimes it does fit the mood (like right after i just finished sucking a guy off or shopping at macy's)

all_sins_undone said:
hip-hop is gay

it seriously is, but sometimes it does fit the mood (like right after i just finished sucking a guy off or shopping at macy's)

Haha, wow, that was an awesome response, just like I expected on the Opeth forum. You're a funny guy... :Smug:

one and only X-RAIDED
73688824292.jpg

Jurassic 5 is pretty good.

I don't like: the annyoing way rappers talk("sing")/lyrical content/egotism in Hip Hop.
I don't like the vast majority of the music they rap to. I dislike the "rap" culture, though living in America, I understand where it comes from.

djwally
(some) djshadow
djkrush
djvadim
roots manuva
aesop rock
blockhead
thievery corporation
(some) coldcut
herbaliser

just a small collection of artists, most of which are on the ninjatunes label, alot of this is downtempo-dub hiphop, seeing as that imo is the best thing to come out of the genre. but there is some triphop and the odd straight-out hip hop artist in there

however alot of hiphop is shit. particularly MTV hiphop, which is beyond shit.

I used to listen to it a lot while I was in highschool so I am fairly familiar with a lot of late 80s and early to mid-90s hiphop and I still appreciate some of it, though I admit it doesn't get as much rotation as other music styles I listen to. I have not heard any vaguely decent hiphop after 1995 or so though, but then again it is not a genre I generally keep track of much anymore so that's not to say there isn't any.

Actually, there is one thing which I just kinda stumbled on by accident, Dälek. They're signed to Ipecac Records (Mike Patton's record label that also houses Isis among others). They're kinda interesting. It's like a mix of My Bloody Valentine (who they cite as a huge influence too) with noise ambient and hiphop. It's odd, but not bad.

Other hiphop I still quite enjoy is old Wu-Tang Clan related projects (especially GZA) and things like Gravediggaz, Cypress Hill, The Roots and The Fugees.

This is probably my favourite hiphop album:
alb174.jpg

I think a lot of people who are into metal but open to other stuff could enjoy that. It's quite dark and raw, and the lyrics are much better than the stuff you commonly hear on the radio. Gravediggaz - Six Feet Deep is also quite a dark album and deals with morbid subject matter (albeit in a tongue-in-cheek way) which is something you don't see much in the hiphop scene either.

My favourite hip-hop album:

B0001HN60I.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

what could possibly make it appeal to people on this forum?

It's downtempo dub instrumental massively with hiphop beats by a great hip hop producer & musician, no vocals other than samples of singing in the odd track. this works great as background music/chillout music whilst still being capturing enough to sit down and listen to properly.

Yeah, Dalek is neat, great stuff......metal fans usually like it. People around here should check out the remix of Isis song done by Octopus who is Dalek's DJ.

Best thing going right now is MF DOOM, everything he touches is gold. DangerDoom, Madvillain, King Gheedorah....he has all these different characters he raps as. Also very slick DJ work, just an impressive artist.

Madlib is a DJ he's worked with, works with funk and jazz to make very tripped out stuff. Kid Koala is another DJ that spins jazz, classical, western, anything, maybe the most talented mixer around. RJD2 is a helluva DJ, people might like his solo work which is very eclectic and meticulous. Prefuse 73 is doing his own thing entirely, recording musicians must check out his unbelievable style.

I come from metal like the rest of you, but I have to say that hip hop is bringing the most creative sh*t these days, expanding in 100 different directions.

daz436 said:
My favourite hip-hop album:

B0001HN60I.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

what could possibly make it appeal to people on this forum?

It's downtempo dub instrumental massively with hiphop beats by a great hip hop producer & musician, no vocals other than samples of singing in the odd track. this works great as background music/chillout music whilst still being capturing enough to sit down and listen to properly.

i like this album but never thought of it as hip-hop proper. but then i also never thought of dj shadow's endtroducing as hip hop either. i love that album even more.

shadow holds more towards triphop than hiphop, but i stuck him in my list anyway. blockhead's cavelight is ridden with hiphop despite it's downtempo feel and i think it runs rings around anything by dj shadow, although some of endtroducing was pretty decent (eg.organ donor)

theres quite a bit of legitimate, admirable and inspiring hip hop out there. it just wont be anything you see on MTV. im not the worlds biggest fan, but only an idiot would disregard the genre entirely with no respect.

NineFeetUnderground said:
... but only an idiot would disregard the genre entirely with no respect.

Very, VERY wise statement. This is something that some people really need to get a grasp on. But I would apply this statement to ANY genre. There's worthwhile music everywhere, you just have to look for it.

Liquid Diamonds said:
Very, VERY wise statement. This is something that some people really need to get a grasp on. But I would apply this statement to ANY genre. There's worthwhile music everywhere, you just have to look for it.

and to answer your question before, yes it was me who cited dj dangerdoom.