Metal versus Hip Hop

Mad__Alice

New Metal Member
Apr 23, 2008
Paris
I'm curious about some things...

What is your stance on hip-hop and rap?

What do you think of the subculture that accompanies it?

How do you think women are treated in the hip-hop/rap scene?

I hope you guys can respond. It's for an article I am doing on metal vs. hip hop.

Thanks in advance!

Hip Hop and Rap has almost nothing musical in it. Some guys talking and telling their imature story. They all dreams to become gangsters.
..just as all metal artists dream to be disciples of satan..

i think there are some great hip hop artists with EXCELLENT music, EXCELLENT lyrics, and very level-headed, down to earth philosphies. among others, i enjoy El-p, aesop rock, weerd science, mf doom, pharaohe monch, atmosphere, cage, wu-tang, jedi mind tricks, and masta ace. great producers too, like j dilla, rjd2, dj shadow, etc.

however, you have to look just as hard to find good hip hop as you would to find good metal. the stuff on the surface is bullshit (..just like with disturbed, linkin park, etc.) but there's really good music if you dig deep.

Maybe yoy're right, Ryan, but last year i saw (it's more corect to say i've heared because i was drinking beer with soulflyro and other guys) Wu Tang at a Festival opening for Alice Cooper and Marylin Manson and (wu tang) they've sounded horrible for my and other guys point of view.Maybe was just a false impresion because we were there to see Alice Cooper and for curiosity Marylin Manson.

Maybe yoy're right, Ryan, but last year i saw (it's more corect to say i've heared because i was drinking beer with soulflyro and other guys) Wu Tang at a Festival opening for Alice Cooper and Marylin Manson and (wu tang) they've sounded horrible for my and other guys point of view.Maybe was just a false impresion because we were there to see Alice Cooper and for curiosity Marylin Manson.
yeah, i saw wu-tang open for rage against the machine this summer and they were ALRIGHT. rage against the machine was infinitely better than wu-tang. as far as their stuff, i'm really only a fan of 36 chambers, but they are really fun to see in a small club. it's music for a different mindset. i still strongly suggest checking out some of the hip hop i mentioned (besides wutang) to hear what it means to be an innovative hip hop artist.

how old are you man? just wondering..

There is a huge gap in the rap scene as in the metal scene when it comes to quality, sound, topics, and pretty much anything else there is. The most popular rap though has to be considered pretty crappy and kids swallow up this pathetic gangster rap that unfortunately dominates the rap "music" scene. There are some alternative rappers out there that focus their attention on mostly having fun and use their music as a tool to communicate either their lifes trials or whatever it is they want to say. I personally don't think that there is possible to make any comparison in Metal vs. Rap/Hip Hop these are two totally different scenes altogether.

The subculture that follows rap/Hip Hop is as diverse as the music, both have their positive and negative crap that follows it around as you will find in any other music scene. Just look at the pathetic White Supremacy morons that use Metal music as their medium.

Objectifying music by it's Genre is idiotic, although I have to say METAL F***NIG RULES...!

2 DIFFERENT KINDS OF MUSIC. AS WITH ALL, THERES GOOD AND BAD.
YOU HAVE TO LOOK TO UNDERGROUND 2 FIND GOOD SHIT I GUESS, RADIO SUCKS ASS PERIOD NOWADAYS. FOR RAP, IM INTO CYPRESS HILL,MR. CRIMINAL,NECRO,ILL BILL,NONPHIXION,GORETEX,SABAC RED,MR. CAPONE-E,
OG DREM,NAS,WU-TANG,SOLDIER INK,RIVIERA REGIME,QUASIMOTO,MF DOOM

DIFFERENT THINGS, QUASIMOTO IS VERY DIFFERENT AND INNOVATIVE I SUGGEST CHECKIN EM OUT IF YOU HAVN'T.

MOST RAP/GANGSTER RAP IS FUCKED UP TOWARDS WOMEN. BUT I DONT TAKE WHAT THEY SAY TO HEART A LOT OF TIMES, DEPENDS ON WHO IT IS I GUESS..., BUT I DONT CONDONE DISRESPECT TO WOMEN OR GLORIFYING GANG LIFE. BUT, ITS REAL AND I LOVE SOME G RAP. NWA, 2PAC, ILL BILL,NECRO! BUT THAT SHITS MORE THAN JUST G RAP. ITS G RAP/POLITICAL, INNOVATIVE. AMAZING BEATS.

AND, I THINK ITS FUNNY BECAUSE THEY MAKE $$$ OFF OF GANG SHIT THEY SPEAK OF, OR JUST BEEF WITH PEOPLE TO MAKE $$$, ITS WHACK. BUT SOME RAPPERS DONT LIE ABOUT THAT FACT HAHA. ITS FUNNY TO ME.

BUT, A LOT REALLY SELL THEIR SOUL. MORE SO THAN IN METAL ID SAY.

It is a valid genre of music like any other, it has its fans and haters. The pop charts at the moment are dominated by it and popular artists are also incorporating it into their own style of music.

Rap has been around for a very long time an early example is Grand Master Flash.

You get people that are fully into it and try to live it, those that sit on the sidelines happy to wear the 'outfit' and regular people that dabble in it - just like any genre.

I personally think there is an element of violence to certain sub-genres of rap i.e. gangster rap and this can have a negative effect on those with a disposition to anti-social behaviour.

I haven't heard too much of it but from what I gather the music is misogynistic.

The Glam Metal in the 80's was about getting women into bed, driving fast cars and having good times but it still didn't put women down as much with name calling. I guess it was more about taking advantage of what was around and being happy to enjoy it.

It's for an article I am doing on metal vs. hip hop.

Don't forget the two aren't musically exclusive as you have mixtures of both genres in songs and bands. Aerosmith and Run DMC, Anthrax and Public Enemy and Ice T's band Body Count just to name some examples that worked well.

Then you have some pretty band bands out there I won't care to name.

Metal also has many genres and Metallers won't agree to like them all.

For example my band Lycanthia has Doom Metal and Gothic influences but the elitists into Troo Doom don't like us and those into Gothic music think we are too heavy.

A lot of people do like us so feel free to have a listen

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/lycanthia/398872-lycanthia-discography-mp3-samples-lyrics.html

Let me know what you think.

Come and say hello in our forum if you wish.

s

Not that Rap or Hip-Hop isnt a valid music genre but I absolutly despise it. Thats just my opinion. But really culturally it isnt that different from other genres. There are those undergound folks who dedicate thier lives to thier music and will die for it whilst others just go through it like a trend and the posers that follow them (little Kids wearing bandanas and gang colours after playing San Andreas). And like every other genre hip- Hop has its fair share of sell outs; look at Icecube who went from a gangbanging rapper from NWA to doing childrens films.

I can respect why some people like rap and hip hop but there is not really a lot of music to a lot of it. Some of the issues that the "better" artists deal with are similar to isses dealt with in metal, eg, politics etc. But when they come to talking a bout personal stuff, from what I've heard they all talk themselves up so much its a wonder their heads don't explode.

Also I have found that this music has the ability to change the way people act right down to the way they walk. I have a friend who used to be into metal (nu-metal mostly I should say) and he is now properly into rap and hip hop. When I met him two years ago he walked quite normally but over the past year or more he has started to walk like a "gangster". All off to one side, swinging his arm. I do tell him he looks stupid but if thats the way he wants to look then fair enough.

I'm curious about some things...

I hope you guys can respond. It's for an article I am doing on metal vs. hip hop.

Thanks in advance!

actually, their can be good hip hop with intelligent lyrics, but their is way too much of this gangster bull shit. and in fact I have to say that I really dont like hip hop, no matter if its intelligent or what ever.

i can understand that. i like to say i like rap/hip hop with intellect.but a lot of it is bullshit just to sell records which i think is fucking stupid. some rappers im sure are or have been involved with gangster shit, but thats life and i think its kinda exploiting yourself to use that to gain fame..., also when they depict gangster shit, on one level yes, people can relate cuz everyones been through some times in their life, but its also somewhat satanic just like some metal haha, its a gimmick or its not a gimmick. but when they sell negativity, or hate, its kinda not good for the world. its like they know kids bump that shit, why they trying to say some negative shit just to sell. cuz i mean people who really have seen negative things, they shouldnt glorify those things, they should focus on positives...