Metal versus Hip Hop

Mad__Alice

New Metal Member
Apr 23, 2008
Paris
I'm curious about some things...

What is your stance on hip-hop and rap?

What do you think of the subculture that accompanies it?

How do you think women are treated in the hip-hop/rap scene?

I hope you guys can respond. It's for an article I am doing on metal vs. hip hop.

Thanks in advance!

I have softened considerably on hip-hop/rap recently. I still don't really like most of the music, but that's no big deal. I'm not really a fan of the objectification of women in the subculture, but that is more of a culture wide thing than just hip-hop. I actually kind of like the fashion too. I would look like a total goofball in it but if you notice all the outfits are very coordinated.

rap can be great, its so motivational.

but i hate rappers that dont talk about fucking girls, hustlin, money. imo its pointless to rap about anything else, its just boring

I have always and always will hate hip-hop. I find the music itself to be shallow and irritating, especially vocal-wise. The lyrics tend to promote sexism, racism, violence and drug use. Now metal has these lyrics, too, but while metal lyrics are the last thing to add depth to the song, in hip-hop the lyrics are at the forefront and they seem to render the rest of the "music" as ancillary.

The worst part about hip-hop is the culture that it promotes (as detailed above), and the fact that several hip-hop artists have risen to become cultural icons for the younger generations to idolize. I don't want my child to idolize a rapper who's awash in sex and drugs and gun violence.

The only stuff I like is Kode9 with the Spaceape, but that's because its sick, and has enough bass to shatter your spine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have always and always will hate hip-hop. I find the music itself to be shallow and irritating, especially vocal-wise. The lyrics tend to promote sexism, racism, violence and drug use. Now metal has these lyrics, too, but while metal lyrics are the last thing to add depth to the song, in hip-hop the lyrics are at the forefront and they seem to render the rest of the "music" as ancillary.

The worst part about hip-hop is the culture that it promotes (as detailed above), and the fact that several hip-hop artists have risen to become cultural icons for the younger generations to idolize. I don't want my child to idolize a rapper who's awash in sex and drugs and gun violence.

Why don't you know - listen to real hip-hop? I mean even in the mainstream you've got Nas, Kanye West, and and what not who promote intellect and are against sexism, racism, violence, and drug use.

And dive further into rap and you've got groups like Atmosphere, Soul Position, Del, Doseone, Sole, Alias, etc. who are all smart rappers and people who are great role models.

Your over generalization of rap is quite frankly a bit annoying.

Mainstream 'hip-hop' provides a lot of people with misguided views of what rap and hip-hop is about and what its fans are like. It's the same with almost every genre. Your average music fan who is exposed to only mainstream metal assumes all metal fans adhere to the stupid trends that mainstream metal fans tend to buy into.
I do like a fair amount of old school US hip-hop and underground British grime/rap artists who don't have anything to do with the stereotypes brought forth by mainstream hip-hop culture, so it annoys me when people bash the entire genre with sweeping generalisations that apply to only the small percentage of mainstream groups and artists. Just in the same way it irritates many of us metal fans when people make generalisations about the genre as a whole based on the likes of Bullet for My Valentine or Slipknot.

Hmm, yeah, I should have answered those questions.

1) I can put up with it, unless it shoves itself in my face. Most of it is crap, but in every crap you find something worthwhile (well, you might, if you bothered to shovel through your crap every time you took a dump)

2) The subculture is, as already stated, fucking gay. Gangsta is on par with emo imho, it just promotes violence and rebellion, plus utterly ridiculous fashion (srsly. baggy white sports clothing? a dozen shiny neck ornaments? many rings? several pieces of headgear? what. the. FUCK.), not to mention acting like a pillock. Makes me want to punch 'gangstas' every time I see them. San Andreas did not help one little bit either.

3) Girls ain't sex objects. I find it demeaning to dem bitches.

It's ironic when they're dancing to it and the lyrics state: "Yo cum on her face, shes a big disgrace" *chorus 100 times* *2 line verse* *chorus 200 times*

:zombie::zombie::zombie:

Yeah

I used to hate rap for the longest time, but then I heard my friends playing Dr. Dre - 2001 and I really liked it, so yeah.