Metal versus Hip Hop

No seriously, get the fuck out.

I love how you're generalizing a genre based on specific artists or a 'sub-genre', if you will called, dance rap.

Please go listen to some Cypress Hill or old Dr. Dre

why the fuck not?

hip hop sucks.
same beat through out the entire song. alot of the shit lyrically makes 0 sense.
The people listening to it are dipshits. (sure theres SOME normal people, but very little)
Hiphop has also taken over on commercials and other shit like that. Its annoying as fuck

nice ignorance buddy

why the fuck not?

hip hop sucks.
same beat through out the entire song. alot of the shit lyrically makes 0 sense.
The people listening to it are dipshits. (sure theres SOME normal people, but very little)
Hiphop has also taken over on commercials and other shit like that. Its annoying as fuck

And everyone who listens to metal are Satanic, barbaric creatures.

"LAWLZ HIP HOP IS DA SAME BEAT WITH SUM DUDE TALKING"

I like quite a bit of rap but I usually take it in small doses for the most part (and I REALLY fucking hate the culture it's spawned).

FOR THOSE WHO DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT RAP CHECK OUT THE FOLLOWING:

Gravediggaz - 6 Feet Deep
Three 6 Mafia - Mystic Stylez
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
N.W.A. - Straight Outta Compton

I'm not a fan of it; it just doesn't conform with my tastes.

However, I can recognize what separates the (c)rap from the other hip-hop that attempts to break out of the mold. For some reason, Nas's widely-revered Illmatic album is possibly the only album I enjoy from the genre on the whole (if there was ever an 'epic' rap song, then "It Ain't Hard to Tell" is it) ... the more underground artists/albums, while I can see they definitely reach for more artistic aims than garbage like Ludcaris and goose shit like Nelly, they do absolutely nothing for me, save for a few tracks here and there maybe. Yes, I am referring to artists such as Jedi Mind Tricks, Atmosphere, MF Doom, Madvillian, Jurassic 5, etc. I mean, fuck, I know and have heard what are considered the 'good' rap artists.

Two things bother me most about rap (besides the more commerical rap's bottom-of-the-barrel shittiness):

1. For the most part, the emphasis is placed on lyrics moreso than the music it seems...

...yes, Sage Francis writes lyrics with wit and poetic quality, but most of his 'beats' fail to reach me (even the bits with saxophone and whatnot don't do it for me). Which one of you said that music, in proper construction, can express far more than any lyrics can? Well, I most definitely agree with this. Perhaps this is why my tastes are orientated more towards instrumental acts with hip-hoppish vibes (e.g. for example, electronica like Amon Tobin)...

2. The other emphasis on putting lots of stupid fucking interludes, skits, samples, random crap like someone's worthless answer machine messages, etc. on the album.

It is a great way to break up momentum and basically counts as filler (both the 'shitty, commercial' rap and the 'artistic, underground' rap is guilty of this, really... take a Ja Rule album and you'll have this shit, then take Madvillain's "Madvillainy" album, and you'll have the same kind of interference). And yes, I am well-aware that plenty of metal albums have this same problem as well, but I've noticed it more with rap...

2. The other emphasis on putting lots of stupid fucking interludes, skits, samples, random crap like someone's worthless answer machine messages, etc. on the album.

It is a great way to break up momentum and basically counts as filler (both the 'shitty, commercial' rap and the 'artistic, underground' rap is guilty of this, really... take a Ja Rule album and you'll have this shit, then take Madvillain's "Madvillainy" album, and you'll have the same kind of interference). And yes, I am well-aware that plenty of metal albums have this same problem as well, but I've noticed it more with rap...

It definitely is more common in rap than most other music styles and I completely agree with you. As someone who is primarily a full album listener rather than a track/playlist/shuffle/using-the-fastforward-button-constantly listener I can say it is by far the most irritating trait of hiphop records. Even if a skit is memorable/funny the first time you hear it, it sure as fuck isn't the twentieth time you hear it. I only like them when they are short and to the point and maintain some kind of atmosphere (some of the ones on Wu-Tang/solo albums are quite good, but they too have had many that are just way too damn long and boring).

I'll never understand why artists feel the need to fill their albums with stupid gimmick tracks. I could rant about that for hours.

I have always and always will hate hip-hop. I find the music itself to be shallow and irritating, especially vocal-wise. The lyrics tend to promote sexism, racism, violence and drug use. Now metal has these lyrics, too, but while metal lyrics are the last thing to add depth to the song, in hip-hop the lyrics are at the forefront and they seem to render the rest of the "music" as ancillary.

The worst part about hip-hop is the culture that it promotes (as detailed above), and the fact that several hip-hop artists have risen to become cultural icons for the younger generations to idolize. I don't want my child to idolize a rapper who's awash in sex and drugs and gun violence.

Fail.

Mainstream 'hip-hop' provides a lot of people with misguided views of what rap and hip-hop is about and what its fans are like. It's the same with almost every genre. Your average music fan who is exposed to only mainstream metal assumes all metal fans adhere to the stupid trends that mainstream metal fans tend to buy into.
I do like a fair amount of old school US hip-hop and underground British grime/rap artists who don't have anything to do with the stereotypes brought forth by mainstream hip-hop culture, so it annoys me when people bash the entire genre with sweeping generalisations that apply to only the small percentage of mainstream groups and artists. Just in the same way it irritates many of us metal fans when people make generalisations about the genre as a whole based on the likes of Bullet for My Valentine or Slipknot.

Win.

Yeah way to try and humiliate me by quoting my post. I've heard some underground hip-hop before and had a similar reaction. Just not for me, I guess.

I can't stand rap. I haven't heard any of the underground stuff, so let's assume that they do have intelligent lyrics. It still has zero musical value. It's lyrics being chanted with a certain rhythm, and the rhythm is similar in almost every song. There is background music, but it's a minor part, isn't given any attention and therefore monotonous and completely empty, and in my opinion annoying.

Yeah way to try and humiliate me by quoting my post.

Huh? It's nothing personal, I usually find your posts to be well thought out, but that one was ill-informed generalising of the highest order.

I've heard some underground hip-hop before and had a similar reaction. Just not for me, I guess.

If you don't like hip-hop because the sound of it doesn't appeal to you enough to explore it further, then fair enough. But as has been mentioned your post was exactly the same as someone saying they don't like metal because it has negative lyrics about hate and satan worshiping, the music itself is just noise, and the kids who like it are juvenile delinquents.

Why are you asking this on a metal forum?

I'm doing a research paper on the discourse between the metal and the hip-hop community. Last year, I did it on the "typical" image of metal as a misogynic, homophobic and racist community. The year before, it was on Sepultura's image as a political band.

Thanks for the replies. It's going to be extremely useful.

:)