Anyone here do any hip hop production?

MegaMustaine

Apr 7, 2006
I know it's not very...erm...metal, but hey its music production. I really like layer and ccomposing hip hop beats and tweaking sounds and such. I'm looking to get into it, however it seems I need some kind of midi controller and a sample pad, which is why I come here.

If anyone is into this kind of production, any recommendations on the midi controller and sample pad? Am I going to be able to compose drawn out piano driven beats with just a midi controller? Thanks guys.

-MM

m audio controllers are da best for da hip hop yo.......also get the kaossilator it is great for that.....garage band, and fruity loops are where I see most people programming now....the older established guys still use there mpc's though.

A buddy of mine uses the korg nano pads for all his hip hop shit...seems to work good for him

a buddy of mine that I used to play in bands with has recently decided to try to be the next dr. dre. he loves the nano control (im getting one myself) and a shitty casio keyboard he connects to his audio interface via midi

really, you dont NEED a controller as much as a keyboard, but getting a good controller with pads is a good idea to bring actual real performance and feel into your productions.

He is loving Logic 9 for all his production needs

so keyboard, and pads and a DAW controller, something like the maudio axiom 49 would do all those jobs well.

Yeah how exactly do the midi keyboards connect to the PC? Would I have to buy some sort of interface too? I recently bought reason propellerhead to start my hip hop production quest, but soon realized that about every tutorial, a controller is necessary.

most production keyboards such as the keyrig 49(which I own, it works amazing, I plugged it into my mac, and logic instantly recognized it) connect via usb. if

you are mixing and tracking any genre, you should be using proper studio monitors, which require some sort of firewire or usb audio interface. Get an interface, an maudio axiom pro and call it a day. If the axiom pro is out of your budget, get a korg nano control, nano keys and nano pads.

I'm currently in a dorm...so monitors and whatnot is kind of out of the question. Just working out of my senheiser headphones. Looks like the M-Audio Keyrig should do the job. Still curious how the programming of complex midi piano arrangements in reason works though.

There is one but in general the piano roll editors I've used I find to be clunky. I actually prefer to do piano stuff in something like guitar pro where I can assign note lengths via quarter or half notes. maybe theres something i haven't figured out in reason though i still have no clue what i'm doing

Don't need no dam pads. Of course preference has a lot to do with it, you don't NEED it. Any keyboard controller will do. Down in the guest house (hip hop studio) we have a protool rig, (currently changing that to Logic) 2 mics, booth and a Korg Triton that we use (rather they) for midi. (internal sounds are old) (don't need to mention everything do I?) Da bomb tracks comin out dis peece yo! How's my fake ghetto?

Reason is so ghey that you can learn it in 10 mins. (took me 5 and decided it sucked for me) Have a look here http://www.youtube.com/user/wwwboyinabandcom <--- that's all I needed, the rest came easy.

Why do you think Reason is ghey Social? Seems pretty sweet to me, cooler than anything else I've looked at.