Opeth's influence on your life

Oinkness

Your post was very touching. I'm glad to hear you've become a real human being.

Honestly i was one of those CS playing guys as well, though not very serious. My deleopment did not happen because of Opeth but honestly i've lived on listening to opeth a couple of times when shools been tough or i've been down. It makes me relax in a way no drug could (strange as it may seem).

I owe alot to opeth.

Heh. I'd like to say that Opeth had some huge influence on my life or they got me into a particular genre of music, but it wouldn't be true.

I was a metalhead with very eclectic tastes before I even heard Opeth.

When I discovered Opeth, it was just like "cool! Really great band!" I was just very happy/excited I found 'em, and they've enjoyed a place at or near the top of my 'favorite bands' list since then. I like a lot of bands, and it isn't easy for a new discovery for me to do that, so it's usually pretty exciting when it happens.

Napster is STILL free and legal...for me.

But Opeth hasn't changed my life much. I was looking for something like Opeth when I found it. It took me a damn long time though. They haven't convinced me to give up the keys and pick up a guitar (lol).

ps. I don't abuse napster, but it sure is nice.

pps. Opeth FANS like you guys have shown me a world of music. So...thanx.

ppps. Who am I kidding. I do abuse Napster. (But I buy Opeth cd's).

Opeth impacted me in a few ways, mikael's voice to me is the best, his growls are perfect, and are at his best on GR, so i tried to get my growls as good as his, but i'm still working on his clean vocals, he has a really good clean vocals voice, which can't be mistaken for anyone

Opeth is a big part of my life because their music is really deep and poetic, ya dig, I mean, I was into metal before I discovered Opeth. Stuff like Dark Tranquillity...old school In Flames...lot's of progressive. When Opeth came in, I feel in love with their harmony. I love how they mixed up their acoustics with the death, and the various melodies...all to give a finger for. Good stuff.

Opeth has easily blown into my heart, and their one of my favorite bands, if not, all time band. However, the genre is young, and I'm young, so I can't wait to discover and learn, participate, in the world of metal, and guitars.

Opeth motivates to take life one day at a time, and to defend what I stand for.

Love, peace, nature, being natural, being human, and expressing your opinions. Being one step ahead of the game....

Yeah, his growls are awesome.

Haven't influenced me to the point of changing my life, but definitely provided me with something to aspire to musically. they got me into metal, too, which I'm unbelievably thankful for.

Kenneth R. said:
Opeth was my gateway to death and black metal.

and Doom (haha...yeah...doom)

i already had a thing for progressive rock and metal, and liked a few death metal band (never was big on black, still not really) but after i listened to Opeth i started getting into death metal more and more.... first melo-death, then traditional, then doom-death. they indirectly made me a fan of Anathema (which...i definietly prefer anathemas new stuff...which isnt doom...) and Draconian....who in turn got me into gothic-doom/gothic metal...

in other words....they turned me on to the various forms of death.

sadly...i dont think ill ever see draconian live... :(

actually....i could say Hypocrisy did all that for me. Hypocrisy->Bloodbath->Opeth

:p

The only thing Opeth influenced me on is how much of their music I listen to and how I compare any new or old music to their music to assess if they are good or not. I use Opeth as my reference for judging other music. But that does't necessarily mean that they are the absolute best, cause no band is.

MetalManCPA said:
When questions like this come up, I realize I become repetetive with past posts (especially for those who have been here as long as I have).

This isn't a competition, but I believe Opeth means more to me than a majority of people here. This comment is based in 2001 when I happened upon Opeth (hearing Bleak on the cable television metal music channel). Our family was dealing with major issues with our daughter, something that had begun in 2000. I have always been an aavid music listener, but as my life was obscured by dark clouds, with Opeth I found an outlet. I could listen to Opeth and be wisked away from all of the problems, finding myself in some happier fantasy place. When the music would end, I'd step back into reality, but I could with a temporary sigh of relief. Opeth honestly got me through the toughest time in my life.

Now, I just flat out find Opeth the best musicians, period. I listen to a lot of music, but when Opeth comes on, my listening almost always becomes serious. It's hard to listen to Opeth in the background, something I can do with most other bands. My mind can't help but concentrate on Opeth. So I guess with that said, currently Opeth influences me by being a distraction from everyday life, but a distraction I look forward to.

and papa opeth has spoken...once again. well said. i know i love this band so much and they are my favorite and still life is still the best piece of art i have ever bought but your experience is way above mine...much more spiritual. keep it up