Opeth's tunings?

Super Mahrio

Deeply Horrible Person
Apr 30, 2003
Muspelheim
Visit site
o_O
Anyone know what tuning these guys use in their music? Its an awesome one and in some songs it sounds like open C but im not sure...if you fools know, please let me know....im too lazy to search for it! :p

Yea,
Standard in almost everything. I think Demon is possibly not in drop d but in standard with everything droped down a full step. Seems unlikely that it's played in drop D cause they play it in thier live sets all the time.
Some stuff on Damnation (Closure i think) is in drop d as well

They play it live all the time but it IS dropped D. One, the chords would be god awful if it wasn't and two I watched 'em tune the string down live :) They don't play anything with a locking tremolo system so detuning isn't an issue, and when they do Demon it's an encore so they'd have ample time.

closure is in E as well. windowpane and hope leaves use capos but i know not of any other odd tunings. opeth are awesome because they don't need to tune down to be intensely heavy.

Knowing very little of guitar tunings, I'm not able to confirm any of this. However, at the live shows, Peter, Mikael and even Martin tune their guitars often in between songs. I wish I could elaborate further, but I can say that they did adjust the tunings of their guitars between songs other than Demon of the Fall.

They werent changing tunings they are just tuning back up because its common for a string to slip and go a little out of tune while playing. Musicians with a good ear can notice this and then fix it. I see a lot of bands tuning their guitars in between songs because of this.

Yup, it's been said, and I'll just confirm it.

Standard tuning (EADGBe) for everything apart from the songs, Demon of the Fall and Blackwater Park, which are in drop D (DADGBe).

On some of the more mellow material, Opeth use a capo. The predominant songs using one of these are 'Still Day Beneath the Sun' and 'Patterns in The Ivy'. There are a few on Damnation too I think, namely Windowpane which has a capo on the 2nd fret (or so I've heard).

well shit...now i gotta go out and buy a capo to see what the hell the big deal is about...<_< Thanks guys...but it is rather odd to hear such a boring tuning as standard being used so well...

Boring? It has the most flavour out of any 'dropped' tunings as the strings retain their strength, and therefore you don't have no muddy, muffed deep sound that's overly abused by the nu-metal scene.

Opeth are all about clarity anyway.. they layer their riffs with lightly distorted guitars to give them their intensity, yet still keep each note distinguishable.

Boring? It has the most flavour out of any 'dropped' tunings as the strings retain their strength, and therefore you don't have no muddy, muffed deep sound that's overly abused by the nu-metal scene.
Hence why i never tune my guitar to B...o_O