Question for guitarists

1Time

Feb 26, 2003
USA
Visit site
I'm just wondering what strings you guys use. Since I know many of you, like me, have floyd rose systems Im just curious as to what you have found to be the best sting brands/gauges for lower tunings on guitars with floyd rose tremolos. I'm looking to put my Jackson Soloist in C standard tuning.

Thanks for the input
SK

I'm using D'addario 10
it's all a matter of preference... getting tuned in C? :( i did that a couple times and i can only say it sucks :D

oh and if your floyd was set up in standard E tuning then once you tune in C it will fall a bit, and you won't have the full range tremolo you could be getting unless you adjut the springs

kinda off your topic..But do you hate your floyd rose as much as I do?? It's just the biggest pain to set up and tune. however, once mine is tuned..I barely have to touch it, if at all every time i pick it up to play.

i use dean markley blue steels

11s on my jackson DKMG tuned to DGCFAD or CGCFAD

10s on my ibanez S470 tuned to standard or Eb

ernie ball 13's atm on my BC Rich NJ virgin tuned to BEADF#B

the licensed FR on my BCR fucking sucks, but once it's there, it'll stay there as long as i don't get too squirrely with the trem bar.

the licensed FR on my DKMG is better, but still needs work. at least i can do more with the trem bar without it going way out of tune.

the ZR double-locking trem on my ibanez S470 is fucking awesome. it's a lot quicker to get the guitar up and going again and i can do whatever i want with it and it still stays in tune no matter what. adjusting bridge height only requires an allen wrench. the only complaint i really have against it is that the screw piece doesn't come on the trem bar itself and the bar will come out if you give it a little too much strength. i found that out while having a christopher ammott moment. even after tightening it john wayne tight, it still came out. =/

ZR trem details scroll down to the bottom

edit: i suggest 12s for C

At the moment, GHS Boomers, 11 gauge on my Rhoads, tuned down one step.

GHS Zakk Wylde Boomers, gauge 10-60 on my Platinum Warlock(non-locking trem). Standard tuning.

I got a few free packs of X-Rocker strings from Everly though, and the next time I need string changes, I'm using them. One pack is 11-56, the other is 13-65. The latter being meant specifically for C Tuning

R6Sin said:
kinda off your topic..But do you hate your floyd rose as much as I do?? It's just the biggest pain to set up and tune. however, once mine is tuned..I barely have to touch it, if at all every time i pick it up to play.

They only take ages to tune if you don't know what you're doing.
My OFR doesn't move when i restring.

And i was restringing my freind's limited edition white warlock with a BCR floyd and i had to take ALL the stirngs off at once the adjust the springs in the back and clean it... took me 20mnins to get back to perfect playability

exactly needled, restringing a floyd is not tough you just have to know what to do, i can take all the strings off mine and restring/setup my guitar in a half an hour, that includes truss rod adjustment (if it needs it) bridge adjustment, setting the inotation, adjusting the pickup height, and polishing the frets/body-oiling the fretboard.

all my guitars have different string guages on them, i dont really want to type it all out /lazy

yetti, is that virgin a neckthru or bolt on? when did you get it and does it have a floyd or fixed bridge?

R6Sin said:
It's just the biggest pain to set up and tune. however, once mine is tuned..I barely have to touch it, if at all every time i pick it up to play.

I agree . It takes a time to change the strings and tune :cry: , but once it is in tune ,it will stay in tune . :headbang:That's why I like Floyd Rose bridges . :hotjump:

PS.[Off-topic] One thing that pisses me off : I hate those bunch of fucking whiners who complain ''Floyd Rose doesn't stay in tune'' (or other things like that ) . I mean WTF ? Don't they have the string locks locked or what ? :mad:
jesus christ. Even my LICENSED Floyd on my LTD M-302 stays in tune (I adjusted the springs to match Alexi's and Roope's setup . Stays in tune even if the bridge is not fully balanced )