Opinions needed...

Ola Englund

Only gay in the village
Dec 1, 2001
Stockholm, Sweden
www.olaenglund.com
I've been recording my band Subcyde for the last couple of weeks, I'm going deaf from mixing every day... I need someone with a pair of fresh, calibrated ears to give me pointers about the sound, guitars, drums, bass.

Here's the clip.
http://www.midtown.se/images/test.mp3

Thanks in advance...PS. The file is mp3 converted to mp3 again, hope it will give you an idea on the sound anyway...

edit: Updated the clip according to some pointers posted here. I reequed the Kick, put the back the bass and raise the cymbals a bit,
check out this clip from an other song:
http://www.midtown.se/images/test2.mp3

dude, this mix sounds awesome. The guitars are super clean, that's the kind of sound most of the bands I record are into. Are the drums real? The kicks sound like the ones in DFHS.

If you don't mind elaborating, what was the signal chain for the guitars?

Youowemeapony said:
dude, this mix sounds awesome. The guitars are super clean, that's the kind of sound most of the bands I record are into. Are the drums real? The kicks sound like the ones in DFHS.

If you don't mind elaborating, what was the signal chain for the guitars?

thanks man... the drums are real, both kick and snare triggered, kick is all DFHS(great ears man!), snare is 70% mic and 30% sample.

The guitars are the least processed of all instruments in the mix. 2 mics, 1 sm57 straight on the cone, one sm58 about 30 degrees from the first mics angle. The cab contains Celestion V30. The amp is my ENGL Savage.

Recorded to Logic. I pan the 2 signals fully right, and a dubbed version fully left. no effect on them except gate. multipressor on the guitarbuss and a slight touch of eq(just to bring up the area of 200hz and 4000-6000hz)

if you have any questions about the sound just ask and I will happily answer...

Sounds good...IMO cymbals need to be louder, at least one of them sounds drowned out a bit...and there's something happening at the low end, i think its the bass guitar, like either should be turned down or compressed or eq'd. like it could just sound better...everything else sounds great and clear, awesome.

I can't comment on the mix because it sounds really good to me.

so I'm just curious with two questions: 1) what mic pre's did you use for the guitars? 2) was your engl cranked or at a low volume?

thanks!

The engl sounds great...!!

I think the reason why nobody can give you pointers is because there is not much to improve in my opinion.. it sounds really good...

Only thing i can think of, like mentioned before is the kick... i think it could be a bit thicker to back up the music...

Good mix!!

Genius Gone Insane said:
Sounds good...IMO cymbals need to be louder, at least one of them sounds drowned out a bit...and there's something happening at the low end, i think its the bass guitar, like either should be turned down or compressed or eq'd. like it could just sound better...everything else sounds great and clear, awesome.

I haven't had the chance to review the demo in other soundsystems, but I'm currently mixing through my computerspeakers:)hypno: ) . So I have problems dialing in good low end. Thanks for pointing that out!

Carrier Flux said:
so I'm just curious with two questions: 1) what mic pre's did you use for the guitars? 2) was your engl cranked or at a low volume?

1.The Preamps where the ones in Mackie D8b console. Can't recall what brand.

2. It was cranked but not to loud. I turn it up to the point where the distortion gets loose, then I turn it down a bit from that.

Black neon bob said:
Only thing i can think of, like mentioned before is the kick... i think it could be a bit thicker to back up the music...

Thanks, as mentioned above I have a hard time mixing the low end so I will check into the kick and bassguitar and see what´s up down there...

Thanks for the input guys! Give me more, MORE!!!

You're the man goddmann!!!
The sound is big, has got a lot of balls! me likes it very much! :)
The only thing I would change is the kick, I think it doesn't cut through the mix that much!
Maybe changing the sample or playing with the eq would work great!
Your guitar sound is fucking big!!
have you switched from powerball to savage right?
I can remember you used powerball in the last demo you did with your band (subcyde)
keep on rocking man!

Maurizio

kaomao said:
You're the man goddmann!!!
The sound is big, has got a lot of balls! me likes it very much! :)
The only thing I would change is the kick, I think it doesn't cut through the mix that much!
Maybe changing the sample or playing with the eq would work great!
Your guitar sound is fucking big!!
have you switched from powerball to savage right?
I can remember you used powerball in the last demo you did with your band (subcyde)
keep on rocking man!

Maurizio

thanks man! Yeah I was doing the powerball in the subcyde 2005 demo, great memory there my good friend! The powerball was great but the savage is more brutalsounding!

I really like the music, and overall it sounds good. The bass guitar tone leaves a little to be desired, perhaps some different EQ and more compression. The overheads on the cymbals need more compression and less extreme panning IMO.

dude, that sounds pretty good to me!
i agree that the kick should be a little more up front, but i like very loud kicks, so this might not be the common opinion.

regarding the bass guitar....i'm tone deaf when it comes to bass. however, on my speakers the mix does not sound boomy or overly bass heavy.

I don't have any comment on the mix but I really like the music! When you're done post a way for us to hear it/buy it whatever you plan on doing with it!

Sinister Mephisto said:
I don't have any comment on the mix but I really like the music! When you're done post a way for us to hear it/buy it whatever you plan on doing with it!

thanks man, you can check out our previous demos on www.subcyde.com
I posted questions about the Subcyde 2005 demo in this forum in early 2005.

The vocals are to be recorded this weekend...

Goddamn Guitar said:
thanks man, you can check out our previous demos on www.subcyde.com
I posted questions about the Subcyde 2005 demo in this forum in early 2005.

The vocals are to be recorded this weekend...

Thanks! the demo kicks ass, I'll be listening to it a lot. :headbang: