Mixing vocals for Pop Punk song

setyouranchor

Celestial Recordings
May 17, 2010
North Wales, UK
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7188427/home2.mp3

Some feedback on the overall mix of this clip?

I think the vocals need some work but cant quite put my finger on what. Sound a little over compressed to me, but I've played this song a million times so would be good to get some fresh ears on it!

Also, I realise the the kick needs bringing down a bit and there is no bass as of yet

It needs filling out. The guitars are brittle and sound too "far away"; as in not present enough (not in the amp setting sense :lol:). Good start. I think the vocals are fine just obvious auto-tuned.

I'm going to get beyond shot for this, but I dont mind the auto-tuned sound for this sort of stuff. I think its a cool effect in some sections. Just don't go all Attack Attack on it!

Yeah, have a go with melodyne or use auto-tune in graph mode and manualy correct the vocals, you'll get rid of the tuning artefacts where auto-tune can't find the right note.

btw, there's something wierd with the mix, like it's rendered in mono or something

sounds very mono to my ears...
vocals seem too far aside.

autotune is very very obvious....

did you forget to turn off high frequency band "solo mode" on the sides... sounds like that.