Opinions of Exams

gekko

Much less calm than you
Sep 14, 2004
I am curious what people, particularly alex, think of the concept of end of year exams. Personally, I do not think them to be a particularly effective method of testing one's accumulated knowledge. I think it is kind of a rediculous requirement if one's work has been of a high caliber or at least consistent. Anyway, thoughts?

Want my thoughts right now? They involve a cow, a sque-gee or whatever, and a bowl of rice, you probably don't want to know.

i guess they might make sense for the kind of disciplines i have no interest in whatsoever. as an english/philosophy major undergrad and an education major in grad school, i haven't taken a year-end exam in many, many years...just had final papers/projects due. which is much better for my fields!

it depends. i mean for a class where in the future you will need to know offhand all the material because it's applicable to some essential function of what you'll be doing for a career, then i guess it's fairly important. you know, anatomy, things like that. for other things (especially social sciences) i always found exams totally fucking useless in driving home concepts/ideas that i'd ever need. but i think for more basic classes it helps lay groundwork for future things to sort of sit on, especially with languages.