.:: Opinions on Fear Factory ::.

I used to be into Fear Factory years ago. The only albums by them that I own(ed) are Obsolete and Demanufacture. Both I thought were really good albums. Then they started sucking hardcore and I lost interest pretty quick. I think I gave both of the CD's to my friend, and then I think he lost them...oh well.

Originally posted by Opet
I didn't like Fear Factory the first time I heard them, then I heard Demanufacture, their best IMO. I bought Digimortal and it's good, but I don't like the vocals as much anymore. No, it didn't change THAT much, but my taste in metal did somewhat and now they don't impress me as much.

that's exactly what happens. Tastes change. Kush, the reason you hated it so much is because you obsessed over it so much. Nothing ever lives up to our obsessed expectations.

FF kicks ass. They started as a very death metal sounding band with "Soul of a New Machine." I heard the song Martyr, on a Roadrunner sample cd/tape I belive, and loved it. I played it about a hundred times. Demanufacture was definatly a different sounding step, I suppose for the better considering it fit better into the Nu-Metal scene. Only thing is FF got it right unlike countless others. Obsolete was a great follow-up to Demanufacture although even more commercial with it's "groooves." The new one which will go nameless......is not good. All in all I will miss this group. I just saw them live about six months ago when they were touring with Papa Roach. But I lucked out because Papa Roach bowed out of the tour last minute and I got a full nearly 2 hour show from the boys. They will be missed!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Kushantaiidan
That's very true. I dunno why I got soexcited over them. But oh well. I like being onsessed over bands. I'm passionate about music. That's all.

And when a band makes good music that I enjoy, and then stops making good music, I get crabby.

I hear ya. Can totally relate too, got like that a lot about 4 or 5 years ago. Started noticing it was more my tastes that had changed, rather than the actual music. Now if I don't like something right off the bat, I'll listen to it a few more times to see how I feel ... if I still don't like it, I'll put it away for a few months, and come back to it for one more chance. If I still don't like it, then it gets traded in. :)

Originally posted by Kushantaiidan
Thank god I found Opeth. Thank god I found metal outside Australia and the states. Thank god for bands like Emperor, Enslaved, X - Japan, and Yes. And Fuck you fear factory, I'm glad you broke up, and I dread all the little crap side projects and guest appearances that will soon appear to make them even more money.

You're right about Opeth. However, I doubt that Fear Factory made all that much money.

Soul Of A New Machine was cool!!
Demanufacture was great!!!!
Obsolete was not so great, but some songs are cool.
Digimortal is boring and repetitive as hell.
all the remixes records are shit.

thanks God for Meshuggah. That's a real death-industrial band. If you like Demanufacture and you never heard them, look them now!!!! Destroy Erase Improve is a intrincated, jazzier and more death and progressive Demanufacture. It's too great!!!!!!! and zero clean voices!!!!!

Fear Factory were the first metal band I got into....Digimortal was the first metal album I ever heard and I thought it rocked at the time.....since then Obsolete has gone down as one of my all-time favourite albums, I think Digimortal sucks, and Demanufacture was very good although slightly repetetive...... Still, I give them an odd spin sometimes because they DID put-out some killer tunes.....though with comparisons in the metal scene I much prefer other industrial-sounding bands like the aforementioned Meshuggah, and also Ebony Tears. Some Cynic goes down well too; FF had a sound that tried to expand on what Cynic did....and failed, hehe...but they were good in thier day. I think it's a good thing they split-up though; I didn't want to hear what they were going to do next after Digimortal. Gah, they had rap on it, what was next? A Britney Spears duet? They were full of themselves....they proclaimed to the world that they thought Digimortal was thier best album to date, and it still sold badly. Haha. Also quite shocking to me was Bell's official statement when he split from Fear Factory; going-on about how he had to find his own way *ahem* as an artist. Now, stop me if i'm wrong, but in my view, Bell was no artist. He didn't write any music, his lyrics were painfully short and of no substance.....and as a vocalist he was really sinking. I personally wouldn't miss him if he didn't reappear in the music scene.

Soul of a New Machine - Good (scapegoat is fucking top!)
Demanufacture - Good

Remanufacture - WTF???!?

Obsolete - Crap. Nu Metal sounding, lost their uniqueness

Digimortal - They must have realised that obsolete was shite, but by then it was too late to reverse all of the rot in one go

They started of good, and then got a bit shit...

FF had a sound that tried to expand on what Cynic did

...That is possibly the strangest comparison i have ever heard? Cynic were not industrial at all, they were technical death... and FF, while a great band, were a 'straight 4/4' kindof metalband... i really don't know where you got this comparison from... but i would insist that you go and listen to cynic some more, and rethink that statement.

fear factory, generally were a good and interesting band right to the end, digimortal , despite being pretty wank in some parts, still had some of those mad guitar chugs and high notes, with weird timings (a bit like meshuggah) and still had awesomely tight drums and a great guitar sound .. but they could never have equalled "soul of a new machine" .. when i first heard "demanufacture" i was blown to bits though, and "obselete" is fine as well, very good band ,, but there is no doubt in the slightest that "soul..." is the best one ..

for a quality review of "demanufacture" written by my good friend and major fear factory fan beth kadyavka, look HERE

and sculpted cold, i think you need to tell us more about this fear factory to cynic comparison ,, as there are no similarities beyond the fact that they are both bands that play metal with guitars and singers and stuff! .. that is the most surreal link of bands ive ever heard, its like saying that primus tried to do what pink floyd started!!! .. in the fact that its not at all in the slightest, by any stretch of the imagination! .. most bizarre!

I like Fear Factory. Digimortal wasent that good. But demanufacture was amazing and i was lucky enough to see them live at reading festival they rocked. But if all there future realese where gonna be like digimortal maybe its a good thing they split but thats my opinion so dont bite!

demanufacture was a good album. the whole album just feels right. digimortal was not what i expected from them. the gap was to width... car?!? wtf...

- red_beef

Soul of a New Machine - VERY raw and showcased some awsome talent

Fear is the Mindkiller - I bought this as my first FF album.
I thought the mix of metal / industrial was awsome. Usually bands that I had heard in that catagory werent that heavy. I was a fan from there on.

Demanufacture - good sound quality some awsome riffs and some very interesting new things going on here. Heavy , tight , vocals awsome as well.

Remanufacture - I like the concept of a remix album but I think they coulda got some better mixes. Allthough there are about 3 reall kik ass ones here.

Obsolete - This was amazing. Burton was expanding his clean vocals. Yes it was a more commercially geared FF but does that mean they are nu-metal ?? The first CD came out in what 89 90 ??
how can this band be nu-metal ?? The lyricall content was nice and thought provoking.

Digimortal - this was definatly commercially geared. It has some great tracks though. If you can handle a maturing FF then its great. If you want them to repeat Demanufacture then go listen to Demanufacture cuz it didnt happen here. I enjoy diversity in bands but wow was doing "back the fuck up" (rap track) a hard blow to me. The tracks are more catchy and less mind indulging but still it shows change within the band and I liked it.

It is a damn shame they broke up. They openend the door for a style all there own. And paved the way for many copy cat bands.
I will miss having new material.