.:: Opinions on Fear Factory ::.

contagion

New Metal Member
Mar 6, 2002
www.xsorbit.com
Hey... I'm new here, but I've been somewhat of a lurker for the past few months. An inquiry has arisen out of my curiosity, so here's the question: What is everyone's opinion on Fear Factory? That is, are they classified in the same poser, nu-metal category such as Linkin Park, or to a lesser extent, Korn? Or are they viewed more as a less talented hardcore band like Slipknot? My favorite bands are Iced Earth, In Flames, Children of Bodom, and Nevermore at the moment... but I really enjoyed Fear Factory's "Obsolete," as well as "Demanufacture." Just wondering... I'm on the run, so sorry if I didn't elaborate enough...

I agree with you - Digimortal wasn't as potent as the previous releases. Demanufacture was very well done I thought... but I enjoyed "Obsolete" even a little more. I thought it was a very well done concept album. Some good tunes on that... I think Burton C. Bell has some of the best vox in the business. Ah well... they've parted their ways.

Demanufacture is FF at their best, but I would never go
as far as calling any of it Nu-metal, though! But they are
balancing on a thin line between what I would accept as a 'real'
metal band. After all they are experimenting with all this
industrial stuff, and they are dangerously close to being
commercial, but the intensity overcomes that...

Actually I'm not sure what to think, goddamn it. FF is just FF. :confused:
Nice alternative sometimes....

Was a good band.Fear factory was very cool.:p :D
B000000H13.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Well, I only know their Obsolete, and it´s a cool album, but unfortunately someone has never told him, that he cant clean-sing, and that clean-singing destroys the whole damn album..!!!

Originally posted by ~UlvedaL~
Well, I only know their Obsolete, and it´s a cool album, but unfortunately someone has never told him, that he cant clean-sing, and that clean-singing destroys the whole damn album..!!!

Actually, Burton C Bell's clean singing was better in the early days when his death grunt was well... gruntier!:cool:

Originally posted by Vim Fuego

Actually, Burton C Bell's clean singing was better in the early days when his death grunt was well... gruntier!:cool:

Agreed! The distorted and clean vocals on Soul Of A New Machine are far more superior to anything else they put out! Fantastic stuff! I still enjoyed Demanufacture, and to an extent, Obsolete though. But Digimortal was really weak! It just seemed like when Burt was "growling" huis heart just wasn't as in it as the previous albums! Like he was tryin to be heavy, but watered down at the same time! The whole album just came across a very Diluted FF sound to me. And that Rap song with Cypress Hill was plain attrotious!

I'm glad I saw them live last summer before they split up. Glad to see so many people enjoy Demanufacture. I personally liked all of their releases.
I'm wearing my FF shirt at the moment.

First I just wanna say that FF has been my fave band since 1993 and ive seen them 20 times and have the second largest ff colection in existence to the best of my knowledge =D anyways...
They were one of the first bands to mix "heavy music with electronic elements and clean vocals" burt has some of the best clean vocals ive heard, they were very innovative and so many gay bands ripped off their style and failed badly at it and digimortal isnt "nu-metal" they just dumbed down the music so the mallcore crowd would accept them more and they would get bigger, it was a very lame move I admit but after 12 years they wanted to achieve more success, it is still very fear factoryish just shorter and way too over produced, i wasnt a huge fan of it but after a year its grown on me. Its a shame they broke up.

Wow! I'm really surprised. I thought everyone here would LOATH fear factory. Anyways.

I used to absolutely obsess over this band. They were my favorite. I first bought Obsolete, and then got the other albums soon after. Seeing I heard Obsolete before Demanufacture, I liked it better. I didn't know at the time that they were pretty much repeating themselves on that album. But I loved the concepts. Soul Of A New Machine was awsome.

But Digimortal. Never have I been so betrayed by a band since Metallica. I don't care whether or not the album is pop, or nu-metal or whatever. I couldn't give a fuck. The point is, the album was just so AWFUL! I followed their internet updates daily to see how they went with the recording. I waited a long time. I really looked forward to the album. I got tricked by the hype. aAnd when I got the album, I was mortified by it's absolute crapness.

The riffs were boring, and unimaginative. There was nothing new on this album. The song structures on the other albums had a bit of depth to them, but here it was verse chorus ver shorus. And it was just awful. It didn't have any impact anymore. All the heaviness was gone. There were 3 or 4 songs that were ok. But that was all. I was so annoyed, and felt betrayed.

Thank god I found Opeth. Thank god I found metal outside Australia and the states. Thank god for bands like Emperor, Enslaved, X - Japan, and Yes. And Fuck you fear factory, I'm glad you broke up, and I dread all the little crap side projects and guest appearances that will soon appear to make them even more money.

I didn't like Fear Factory the first time I heard them, then I heard Demanufacture, their best IMO. I bought Digimortal and it's good, but I don't like the vocals as much anymore. No, it didn't change THAT much, but my taste in metal did somewhat and now they don't impress me as much.