Fear Factory

One of my favourite bands with a diverse and influential career.

Really Fear Factory are not for purists, they were probably the biggest part of the 90's alternative wave of extreme music in the early beginnings, highly influencing the likes of Machine Head and leading perhaps some may claim to even Slipknot. The guitars are razor tight, Dino is an utter pro at palm muting and created a (now highly plagurised) original and highly influential sound from his guitar which many dont realize just how big an impact it made. Herrera is a god on drums, and no one that hasn't intellectually heard their early work can really argue that, he is as precise as a drum machine and as fast as george kollias and Burton Bell was the biggest original contributor of the clean/heavy vocal style to metal. Machine Head in particular owe their vocals to Burton. Not everyone likes his voice, I like to think of him a bit like a throaty Bono, instantly appreciable from a clean perspective with great death/hardcore screams on the surface but as you listen to their earlier work you really appreciate his dirty vocal range as well.

I thought Archetype was fairly poor, they lost their old edge when they lost Dino I believe however Transgression had the makings of a brilliant (though mainstream) industrial groove album but it was rushed, not to the bands fault, and turned out quite wishy washy.

Demanufacture and Obsolete are absolute stone cold classics, go listen to obsolete through start to finish with a good surround sound system while reading the entire booklet that comes with it, it is completely mesmerising when put to the script that is supposed to accompany the sci-fi concept album it in all its details.

Concrete and Soul of a New Machine are brutal, agressive and sadly often overlooked. Concrete is more Grind, less Industrial but undoubtably in my mind one of the most brutal records ever made. Soul of a New Machine on the other hand is overwhelming, and not always in a good way, it feels like you are listening to a good album with all the B-sides left in cluttering it up. Inspite of this it is full of gems and proved the bands most influential album, it was where it began. I highly recommend both of them, especially Concrete to anyone that likes Old-school death metal or Grindcore.

+ Soul of a New Machine

Everyone forgets Concrete, possibly their greatest work from a heavy perspective. Soul should always be considered with the others though for its influence. Their remix albums are also quite good (Fear is the Mindkiller is very catchy) though they are not for everyone, particularly not idiots that like to turn their nose at anything not metal.

Awesome review on the band and their albums, I've never actually heard anything off of Soul of a New Machine or Concrete, but I'll be sure to do so very soon. I disagree on Archetype being a poor album, even though it isn't as great as the previous ones, it has some pretty solid tracks, mainly the first 5, and a couple others. Otherwise, I completely agree that Demanufacture and Obsolete are classics, and stand out from the other albums.

Awesome review on the band and their albums, I've never actually heard anything off of Soul of a New Machine or Concrete, but I'll be sure to do so very soon. I disagree on Archetype being a poor album, even though it isn't as great as the previous ones, it has some pretty solid tracks, mainly the first 5, and a couple others. Otherwise, I completely agree that Demanufacture and Obsolete are classics, and stand out from the other albums.

Thanks though I wouldn't call it a review so much, it was heavily biased without sources etc. It was not critical. I have found a few people that like Archetype, I just believe that if you drop out Back the Fuck Up, Digimortal's average tracks are on par with its good tracks and the good songs on digimortal like Invisible Wounds shit all over it. I just dont believe there is anything special about Archetype, it is much more groove orientated then Death Metal, something I didn't particularly like.

Thanks though I wouldn't call it a review so much, it was heavily biased without sources etc. It was not critical. I have found a few people that like Archetype, I just believe that if you drop out Back the Fuck Up, Digimortal's average tracks are on par with its good tracks and the good songs on digimortal like Invisible Wounds shit all over it. I just dont believe there is anything special about Archetype, it is much more groove orientated then Death Metal, something I didn't particularly like.

Oh I see what you're saying. I do agree that it's nothing special, but I always had fun listening to it, as a few of the songs are quite catchy, just like the majority of FF songs, IMO.

FF have always been decent live IMO, not brilliant, but I can say the same about Megadeth and a few other great bands. If you like Fear Factory however and are looking for the perfect live experience to go with that kind of music, Synthetic Breed are brilliant.

Anyone that likes Soul and has not heard Concrete, please do yourself a favour, it shits all over it, it was recorded before it with a different producer, it wasn't as influential due to the fact it was released a lot of years later but it is utterly brutal in every sense of the word, perfect Industrial Death/Grind with clean vocals woven into it and a big streak of originallity. It also shows off just how brilliant of a drummer Herrera is.