Opinions on mix

The drums are too silent/guitars are a bit too loud. Snare and kick would need a little compression to give them more attack. It also feels like that the cymbals are panned too wide.

kev said:
I think the whole mix lacks hi end and punch (to my ears). Levels seem nicely balanced though :)

+1
Though the vocals seem to have the most high end and cut through nicely, so give things more highs seperately, not jsut a high shelf over the master buss. The guitars definately need some more highs, especially round the 6-8kHz region, where the bite is. They seem to lack some lowend too. I dont know what you did to get rid of it, but id put some back in, squash it with a C4 and let them be tame but tough. The bass sounds quite good.
The drums are a bit hit and miss. The snare and kick are almost there, they are jsut a bit dull, and the snare sounds as if it lacks a bit of lowend punch, heavy compression could bring it out more. The toms could pound a bit more, some highs wouldnt go astray, and some decent compression might give them more body, too. The O/H's and hats sound like they've been over compressed, let them breathe a bit more IMO. Vocals might be a bit loud too, Just a tad.

Nice mix though man, even though i had a few coments, it was really just nit picking. It sounds like it could easily get to a pro level, especially with some choice verb.

Daniel

Thanx for your input oh masters of metal :heh: :worship:
I have adjusted some of your suggestions, and this is probably as good as I can get it with with monitors (alesis m1), besides I'm so damn tired of this song now.:puke: http://www.stormcrow.se/simons_closet/on_and_on.mp3

As for the high end in the guitars, I think it blurs the vocals :erk: so I don't really want to bring out any more. And if guitarists weren't so stubborn I would have used the two amps for opposite purposes. Now it's a moded jmp-1 L/R as rythm and an ENGL Powerball in the middle.

By the way, I sampled the drumkit a DW, if anyone's interested, you can download it @ http://www.sabachthani.org/simons_dw.zip (also in the 'share a sample'-thread)
Thanx for the input once again.:headbang:

::EDIT::
Updated the mix one last time :D