Opinions on Rickenbackers.

I played one once and found it awful, but it is obviously a matter of taste. It is really unusual to play a Rick if you are used to the comfort of modern bass constructions. I couldn't deal with the high-gloss neck for the most part, but sound-wise - no complaints...I mean, we know both the Lemmy-tone as well as the Chris Squire signature sound, so there has to be something about these instruments...:)

Occam's Razor said:
I played one once and found it awful, but it is obviously a matter of taste. It is really unusual to play a Rick if you are used to the comfort of modern bass constructions. I couldn't deal with the high-gloss neck for the most part, but sound-wise - no complaints...I mean, we know both the Lemmy-tone as well as the Chris Squire signature sound, so there has to be something about these instruments...:)

Hahhah, Lemmy-tone...if I wanted that, I'd just buy a guitar, right? :lol: :rolleyes:

Salvatore said:
Never played one myself, but a few local bands around here use them and their tone is killer. What makes you want one?

The thin and fast neck, the total clankiness that the pickups are easily capable of, the biamping ability, the balanced shape (I currently have and have to deal with a very neckdivey Explorer-style bass) and of course the classic look.

I never played one....... but the classic look and original sound of that bass is just excellent.....but i'll have to get a left handed model first....and the cash to pay for it too.:ill:

ahhhhhhh dreams.

by the way i wonder how Steve D is doing opening for GNRoses today.....sounds weird saying that but i guess it's a great way to be seen in front of 80 000 persons or something like that......

Steve would definitely be the person to ask dude since I think most of the early albums were played with a 4001. Taste aside, it is a classic bass. If you do get the 4001, get the "Rick-O-Sound" kit mailorder from Rickenback. It's maybe like 30 bucks but you can do a lot of cool things with it especially if you have two bass amps. (Whatever you do, don't get the 4001 fretless version 'cause it sucks -in my opinion anyway.)