Opinions on RME products

I'll agree that the preamps are shit (but what built in preamps aren't?), the AD conversion is subpar, but the DA conversion is actually pretty decent on the newer units. We are talking about their prosumer gear (FF400/800, UFX, etc) and not their high end stuff, never heard their "high end" products.

I had a FF800 and now have a UFX and loved both. Don't understand why such hate against the preamps, they are very nice and transparent, better on the UFX than on the FF800 but those were very usable and I've always recorded with them without any issue.

I use an Echo layla 3G currently. Do you think I will hear a difference in my DI's once I change to the RME?

my fireface UC has been great up to now. it's fantastic.
just the knob is now disfunctional. must be a problem with the encoder.
when i turn it a up notch it goes up few dbs, it gets sometimes extremely loud when i am not careful.
but i can control the volume with my mac keyboard so it's all good.

the latency is really good, conversion is pretty decent for the price.
i love how there are above imo focusrite/presonus but below the really pricey stuff.

Happy Fireface800 owner for 4 years now, never had any problems with it, I've since upgraded conversion but the drivers are just too reliable to make me want to change interface.

Even though their attention to driver stability and updating is great, their costumer service/forum is definitely sub-par. I've also heard (amongst other places, in here, look it up) that their warranty service is very much lacking.

Having said that, my FF800 is very reliable, been getting a BSOD with Win7 every time I turn on my Korg syth these last days, though, but I guess that's my bad for not updating to 3069. Going to do that right now in fact, I keep forgetting so.

I read a lot of good things about Rme products and when I got the possibility I'll buy the Fireface 400,
I read here that the pre aren't good enough,
so, how to bypass them?

My UFX has been one of the best things ive bought over the years. both pres and converters are better than my old firestudio and the drivers and totalmix software are solid. totalmix is a breeze routing anything from multiple monitor mix's to more complex routing situations. the ability to use firewire or usb is awesome as well. Plus this thing just feels like it has a better build quality then any of the other consumer level interfaces ive gotten to work with.

Happy user of a Fireface UFX for 2years .Totalmix is excellent, had no problems with the drivers yet and the pres are fine imo if you're not looking for a special colour (they sound quite neutral I would way)

I have an RME fireface 800. 3 of the 4 inbuilt preamps have killed themselves out of nowhere. i never clipped them apart from the occasional rare accidental. this is my second, too. the first one did the same thing. seems to me like either the shop i bought from had a dodgy batch, or their quality has declined in recent years. ive had mine for a few years, and the warranty had apparently run out. otherwise it's perfect.